Peer-reviewed non-journal article and the CV?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pathanalysis

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Quick, semi-exciting question... I'm a soon-to-be grad school applicant and an author on peer-reviewed article for a "research forum" on a major website in my subfield (the site has academic/government funding and affiliations, is run by a nationally known contributor in the subfield, and attracts fairly well-known contributors in its research forum... so, not, say, a geocities page). The articles are blind peer-reviewed twice, so it counts as a peer-reviewed something, but it's not a journal article. What would be the best way to put this on my CV? "Other peer-reviewed publications"? Most contributors' CV's that I found seem to list it as peer-reviewed pub, though one does not. My PI/first author isn't sure, either.

Any help on what to do would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

Any help on what to do would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

First of all, congratulations on preparing for your graduate studies! Although, it sounds as if many talented and renowned writers are contributing to the forum, you might want to be forthright and call it what it is, a peer-reviewed online publication. If, in fact, you attempt to pass off an online publication as a regular journal article distributed to a membership base, you might be guilty of misleading your applicant committee. I feel that it is always best to call a spade a spade. Good luck in your endeavors!

First of all, congratulations on preparing for your graduate studies! Although, it sounds as if many talented and renowned writers are contributing to the forum, you might want to be forthright and call it what it is, a peer-reviewed online publication. If, in fact, you attempt to pass off an online publication as a regular journal article distributed to a membership base, you might be guilty of misleading your applicant committee. I feel that it is always best to call a spade a spade. Good luck in your endeavors!

To be clear, I would never try to pass it off as a journal article--I'm vaguely offended that you would imply that--my question was more along the lines of "what subheading do I put it under?"

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd cite it in the style of an online journal (72 in the ref section of the apa manual). If the web site is hosted on something obviously legit (the nimh site or whatever), I wouldn't bother using a different heading. Peer review is prettymuch the only standard for legitimacy, so if you passed that, seems fine to me. A couple journals I cite sometimes are online-only to save printing costs; I don't know why there would be some sort of intrinsic difference because it's online.
Congrats.

Last edited:
I'd cite it in the style of an online journal (72 in the ref section of the apa manual). If the web site is hosted on something obviously legit (the nimh site or whatever), I wouldn't both using a different heading. Peer review is prettymuch the only standard for legitimacy, so if you passed that, seems fine to me. A couple journals I cite cometimes are online-only to save printing costs; I don't know why there would be some sort of intrinsic difference because it's online.
Congrats.

Thanks--twice over! Admittedly, this is my first pub of any kind, so I've never gone through the peer-review process before, but I can't imagine a non-electronic version would be much different (write article, get article back with anonymous reviewer comments, revise, submit again, get more anonymous comments, revise, submit final copy, publish). It does seem to cut-down on the in-press waiting period, though.

On a side note, it was quiet a cool shock to get an email in my inbox from the fairly bigname editor today! :)

don't worry, it didn't come off as you trying to pass it off as a journal article at all to me, but I understand why you would be offended by that. You clearly stated (more than once) that it's not a journal article. congrats and good luck with your applications!

To be clear, I would never try to pass it off as a journal article--I'm vaguely offended that you would imply that--my question was more along the lines of "what subheading do I put it under?"

No offense intended, pathanalysis. Sometimes, when folks are overworked and on this forum, it's fairly common to mis-read someone's intentions. Honestly, I didn't mean to offend you. I agree with T4C and others of categorizing your work under "online journals". Good luck to ya.