Penn, Case, or Tennessee...Any Advice???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Excited2006

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Dental Students,

I've been accepted to some great schools, and I'm having a hard time making a decision. I actually trying to decide between Penn, Case, and my state school (Tennessee). I haven't heard from TN yet since they're sending out acceptances in about a week....but if I do get in, it would be something I'd seriously consider.

For those of you who go to one of these 3 schools or got accepted to them in the past, were you happy with the decision you made? Do you have friends at any of these schools who love or hate them?

I know I'm going to get lectured for asking this question, but what's the difference in terms of "difficulty" between these three schools? I know that dental school is hard work, and I'm prepared for that...but I also know I'll be a good dentist no matter where I end up, so I just had to ask that question? :)

I just wanted to get as much information as possible to make sure that I make the right decision. It seems like I won't really know how the school is until I'm actually a student there, so I wanted to get a student's perspective :)

Thanks so much in advance!!

Members don't see this ad.

Excited2006 said:
Hey Dental Students,

I've been accepted to some great schools, and I'm having a hard time making a decision. I actually trying to decide between Penn, Case, and my state school (Tennessee). I haven't heard from TN yet since they're sending out acceptances in about a week....but if I do get in, it would be something I'd seriously consider.

For those of you who go to one of these 3 schools or got accepted to them in the past, were you happy with the decision you made? Do you have friends at any of these schools who love or hate them?

I know I'm going to get lectured for asking this question, but what's the difference in terms of "difficulty" between these three schools? I know that dental school is hard work, and I'm prepared for that...but I also know I'll be a good dentist no matter where I end up, so I just had to ask that question? :)

I just wanted to get as much information as possible to make sure that I make the right decision. It seems like I won't really know how the school is until I'm actually a student there, so I wanted to get a student's perspective :)

visiting the schools and spending a day or two will be your best option when deciding. if you get into your state, I would really look into that.

PENN if money not important and you find yourself happy at all 3 schools.

Excited2006 said:
Hey Dental Students,

hey

Members don't see this ad :)
Unemployed said:
visiting the schools and spending a day or two will be your best option when deciding. if you get into your state, I would really look into that.

PENN if money not important and you find yourself happy at all 3 schools.

You're right...it seems like the brief day at the interview wasn't enough to really know what the school is like. I wish I could spend a few days going to classes at each school, but there's not much time for that with the holidays coming up and the deadline for the deposits in January.

I was just hoping to get into one school...I didn't think I'd have to make this hard decision :) I guess it's a good problem to have, though!

Ask a few dentists in your area what they thought of UT since they likely went there. From what I hear, odds are that youll find out they absolutely hated it. In the end, you'll probably have to choose between a cheap school where they treat you like crap and an expensive school where youll get a better education and get treated better. Good luck with you decision.

I go to TN right now and I hate it. But suck it up and go to your state school to save money. Your patients will care less where you went to school.

UTDental said:
I go to TN right now and I hate it. But suck it up and go to your state school to save money. Your patients will care less where you went to school.

I was wondering why you hate it. I've already heard things and have decided against going there. I'm just looking for further verification that I made the right decision. You can PM me if you'd rather not say why in the open. Thanks

ARguy said:
I was wondering why you hate it. I've already heard things and have decided against going there. I'm just looking for further verification that I made the right decision. You can PM me if you'd rather not say why in the open. Thanks
From what I understand, UT is one of the few schools not on a block system. This means we have to make our own appointments for our patients and have to request patients. This is the most frustrating thing. This results in many cancelled appointments and scrambling to get all your points. It's not uncommon to pay for treatment for patients (not widespread, I haven't had to and I'm almost done, but a few of my classmates will have to do this) to get necessary procedures.
People frequently get their cars vandalized here as well. There are jerk-off instructors too that you need to schedule around. The equipment is terrible (can't modulate air water spray in your handpiece, handpiece fiberoptic light does not work, chairs have huge rips in them). Clinical requirements are twice the amount of other schools (greatly increasing stress).
So there are a lot of negatives of going here. The big positive is that it's a cheap state school and you will get a great education and be competent when you get out. But you will have gotten many gray hairs and ulcers for going here.

HermeytheElf said:
Ask a few dentists in your area what they thought of UT since they likely went there. From what I hear, odds are that youll find out they absolutely hated it. In the end, you'll probably have to choose between a cheap school where they treat you like crap and an expensive school where youll get a better education and get treated better. Good luck with you decision.

Do you think most public schools really do treat their students more poorly? What about if they have GREAT clinical/academic programs but just have lots of red tape and indifferent administration?

Are there private schools who don't give a crap about their students and state schools who do?