• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

• How To ACE Your Medical School Interview

In this webinar hosted by SDN with experts from BeMo Academic Consulting, you will learn a simple five-step process to help you translate your interview invitation into an acceptance.

h213

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 4, 2003
Status (Visible)
Have you guys decided where to live next year? I am still waiting for the letters regarding housing from Penn. I am leaning toward living in the Dental House. How about you guys?

DrNo2000

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 18, 2003
CA
Status (Visible)
I got my acceptance a few nights ago, so I guess it's kind of early for me to recieve anything on housing.

We probably all will end up in the dental house for the first year, although it's kind of expensive.

Baby Kuma

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 5, 2003
Seattle, WA
Status (Visible)
Hi everyone! I decided to bump this thread back to the top. :rolleyes:

I just graduated from University of Washington and trying to get things in line for my big move to Philly.

H213, I'm sure you've received the housing info by now. Are you still thinking about living at the Dental House? As for me, I sent in my application for Sansom Apartments. Hopefully I can get my one bedroom apartment.

And, does anyone know if there are laptop requirements for the dental school? During my interviews, some other schools mentioned that there are specific laptops students need to purchase, etc. I browsed through Penn website, and I think the answer is "no, there are no laptop requirements for DS", but I want to make sure.

If you're going to Penn, please respond! :)

Thanks!

About the Ads

bort

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 10, 2003
Vancouver, WA (home) and Boston, MA (school)
www.bort.org
Status (Visible)
Yay for a fellow UW grad going to Penn Dental! You probably recall, but I am a first year at Penn now (and there are two other UW grads in my class, too). As for computers, you're not required to have a computer at all, so if you plan on getting one for fun, just get whatever you want to get (you'll really only need it school-wise to check and respond to e-mail and to download powerpoint presentations of lecturers, both of which can easily be done always at school). If you already have a computer, that probably will work just fine.

See you in August during orientation!

snarlytooth

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 6, 2003
Status (Visible)
Hey i went to philly about 3 weeks ago and signed for a place in the 4000's on Spruce street. Its about a block from the dental school and a couple blocks away from everything else. I saw a place in chestnut hall too so if anyone has questions about that PM me.

Baby Kuma

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 5, 2003
Seattle, WA
Status (Visible)
Thanks for the info on the computers, Bort. I guess I can just get what ever I want now! Yaay! And yes, I remember that you're a first year dental student at Penn. I really appreciated your encouragement when I was waiting for my admissions decision!

Anyway, is Sansom East/West decent? Anyone have any info?

marshall

SDN Donor
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2003
Status (Visible)
  1. Dentist
Hey if any of you have a second and want to PM me about yourselves and being accepted at Penn I'd appreciate it. I'm going to be living in Philly while my gf goes to Penn Med and I want to go to Penn dental. I've got a few job offers at Penn Dental for research positions so I'll be around the dental school all year... would be quite traumatic to be rejected from them. :D I know it's all gossip but actual #s from accepted students in a recent class is very helpful because I'm a bit on the shaky stats side, given their mean GPA is 3.5. Also, if you happen to remember your interviewer or adcom's name that is also helpful.

Cheers,
Marshall

Dentalist

carpe diem
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2003
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
You guys may have seen this website before..

If not, definitely check it out

upenndentists.com

You can also PM desidentist who is a D1 at Penn.

PENN Diddy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 17, 2003
West Philly
dental.upenn.edu
Status (Visible)
Welcome Class of 2008!

I'm currently a D1 at Penn Dental (6 weeks to go!) & would like to offer any advice or questions you may have as far as housing, how to spend your summer, life in Philly, or any random questions.

A group of us met on SDN this time last year & this website really is a great way to meet future class mates.

Congratulations on your acceptances!

Baby Kuma

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 5, 2003
Seattle, WA
Status (Visible)
Hey Penn Diddy! Thanks for resurrecting this thread!

I actually do have a random question. It's about the Penn Key. What is it actually used for? The only thing I can do with it is to log on to the Penn Portal. Do you use that to check your email?

Anyway, I'm really exciting about moving to Philly this August! :D

bort

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 10, 2003
Vancouver, WA (home) and Boston, MA (school)
www.bort.org
Status (Visible)
i'll pretend answer for you... it's much just like your UW netid there in seattle... you log onto campus resources (both online and actual computers) using your penn key, and the same will also become the front of your e-mail (@dental.upenn.edu). you should be able to use your penn e-mail as soon as you create your penn key...

About the Ads

Aurora

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 30, 2004
Status (Visible)
Hi All,

I was wondering if you all got notified of your acceptance to UPenn through e-mail or by mail? I'm waiting to get off the waitlist at UPenn and I check my e-mail every 5 minutes in hopes of getting an acceptance letter. I was just wondering if I should be running home everyday to check my mail or if I should expect to hear something through e-mail.

Thanks so much guys and congrats on getting into UPenn. :clap:

Aurora

Baby Kuma

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 5, 2003
Seattle, WA
Status (Visible)
I was noticed of my acceptance by mail. I received a huge packet o' info.

Good luck. I hope you hear from them soon.

Aurora

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 30, 2004
Status (Visible)
Baby Kuma said:
I was noticed of my acceptance by mail. I received a huge packet o' info.

Good luck. I hope you hear from them soon.

Thanks Baby Kuma. I hope I get accepted too! When did you get accepted? Can't wait to go home and check the mail :)

Aurora

Baby Kuma

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 5, 2003
Seattle, WA
Status (Visible)
Hi Aurora. I was accepted in January. Hopefully, you'll hear from them soon since the May 1st (2nd deposit) deadline has passed. I think you have a good chance since you are already on the waitlist, and people change their mind for one reason or another. And then we can be classmates!

Aurora

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 30, 2004
Status (Visible)
Thanks guys for the encouragement. I just talked to Corky today and she said they received way more deposits than they expected...so I think the class is more than full :( They are going to contact schools to see if anyone has given a deposit to any other school and then ask the students to decide. Isn't that crazy?

I don't know what my chances are for UPenn this year. I'm going to need a miracle to get in there this year.

Aurora

Dr.BadVibes

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Sep 1, 2003
Toronto, Centre of Canada
Status (Visible)
Aurora said:
Thanks guys for the encouragement. I just talked to Corky today and she said they received way more deposits than they expected...so I think the class is more than full :( They are going to contact schools to see if anyone has given a deposit to any other school and then ask the students to decide. Isn't that crazy?

I don't know what my chances are for UPenn this year. I'm going to need a miracle to get in there this year.

Aurora

Can Corky actually do that? Call other schools to find out if a student put down a deposit? Isnt that confidential information? Have you been accepted anywhere else Aurora?

yeahstee

YeahStee
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 5, 2004
Status (Visible)
Hey All,

So I accepted U Penn a while back, but I just got into columbia off the waitlist. I was wondering if any of you could throw out any knowledge on why you chose Penn? This is a rough decision, but right now I am leaning toward going to school with you guys next year. Please post up anything you know about columbia or penn that may help me in my decision. Thanks a bunch!

-S

gryffindor

15+ Year Member
Feb 3, 2002
Status (Visible)
  1. Dentist
yeahstee said:
Hey All,

So I accepted U Penn a while back, but I just got into columbia off the waitlist. I was wondering if any of you could throw out any knowledge on why you chose Penn? This is a rough decision, but right now I am leaning toward going to school with you guys next year. Please post up anything you know about columbia or penn that may help me in my decision. Thanks a bunch!

-S

yeahstee, I'm not a student at either of those schools, but freedyx3 (a member on this board) had a really long thread going on around New Years about trying to decide between Columbia and Penn. Here is the thread if you want to read it.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=95185

Of course, there is also the infamous "Is Columbia any good?" thread in the pre-dental forum from a few weeks ago in which a few Columbia students and graduates talked about their experiences at the dental school and life in the real world after graduating from Columbia. And there are a few current Penn students around on this board to help you out as well. Good luck.

Baby Kuma

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 5, 2003
Seattle, WA
Status (Visible)
avingupta said:
Can Corky actually do that? Call other schools to find out if a student put down a deposit? Isnt that confidential information? Have you been accepted anywhere else Aurora?

It seems like that's something she should not be able to do.

But I guess, when a student puts a deposit down, it means that he/she is part of the program. It's okay for the schools to exchange their rosters?

Aurora

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 30, 2004
Status (Visible)
Baby Kuma said:
It seems like that's something she should not be able to do.

But I guess, when a student puts a deposit down, it means that he/she is part of the program. It's okay for the schools to exchange their rosters?

That's what she told me. I don't know if this is something that schools do on a regular basis. From what I understood...she said that UPenn has received the 2nd deposit from more students that they have seats for. So maybe this is a special situation.

It seems a little unfair that people can put deposits down on two schools. I think there should be a system where if you put down a deposit at one school and then you are accepted into a "better" school then it should be mandatory to let the first school know before you put down a deposit at the 2nd school. This would probably avoid people getting called off the waitlist 2 weeks before school. I'm just complaining I guess :oops:

Aurora

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 30, 2004
Status (Visible)
avingupta said:

Hi Avin,
I got accepted to Tufts already but I would much rather go to UPenn. I loved UPenn when I interviewed there and it's a lot closer to home for me.

Aurora

snarlytooth

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 6, 2003
Status (Visible)
I was choosing between tufts and penn and in the end saw that penn was a much better fit for me. Although only very slightly, penn is cheaper than tufts, there is a smaller class at penn (although who knows if too many people put down 2nd deposits!), experiences of people who graduated from penn seemed to really endorse the school. I am not completely sure I want to be a GP and going to penn will leave more options open for me (in terms of specialization) than will tufts. FInally, i am from NH and would like to live in philadelphia rather than boston since i have seen boston all my life! Good Luck.

yeahstee

YeahStee
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 5, 2004
Status (Visible)
And the winner is U Penn by a nose. It was a tough decision, but I had to go with Phili. I'm looking forward to meeting you all next year!

-Steve

ziptree

DDS
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 25, 2003
Status (Visible)
Penn has decent specialty matching rates if that's what you want to do in the future? I also like the Philly atmosphere. And from the conversations I've had with the professors there, it seems they really care about their students and how they can help their students become better dentists.

endposse10

15+ Year Member
Jun 9, 2003
against the current
Status (Visible)
does anyone know the date for orientation for penn? on the orientation date thread, it said penn's was on the 15th of august. can someone confirm? i thought it was on the 23rd.

endposse10

15+ Year Member
Jun 9, 2003
against the current
Status (Visible)
hehe... ok... your post scared me cause i'm going to be travelling at that time, and having orientation on the 15th would have definately put a damper on my vacation plans. i have to relax before i put my nose back to the grindstone and start studying.

looking forward to meeting everyone at penn! =)

NC2PA

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 30, 2003
West Philly
Status (Visible)
Hey, where'd all you guys go? just sayin hi. I'll be an orientation crew head in the fall. hit me up.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.