Surgeon in training
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 8, 2003
Southeast
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I have been waiting for one of these to start, since we should hear soon! I interviewed way back in the start of October, on their first day of interviews. Waiting until now has become sort of anti-climactic. Does anyone else feel like me? At least they have their wonderful status page that will give us a real-time answer.

I am thinking we could hear at the end of next week. Any more guesses?

:) Treg

bidster

15+ Year Member
May 29, 2003
Visit site
Status
Treg said:
I have been waiting for one of these to start, since we should hear soon! I interviewed way back in the start of October, on their first day of interviews. Waiting until now has become sort of anti-climactic. Does anyone else feel like me? At least they have their wonderful status page that will give us a real-time answer.

I am thinking we could hear at the end of next week. Any more guesses?

Eep...here we go with another countdown thread to help me procrastinate :rolleyes:

Anyway--I would be surprised (although pleasantly) if we heard by March 4th, since past years seem to a bit later than that. Do you have any particular reasons to think it would be by end of next week Treg? ;)

From last year's thread, decisions came up on March 11, and I definitely would not be surprised if they did the same again. March 11 falls on a Friday this year, and it would be perfect for allowing the barrage of calls regarding post-decision questions to diffuse over the weekend. So I'm guessing the 11th. I'm hoping it won't be any later than that!!!!

UDbiochem

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 13, 2003
NJ
Visit site
Status
I also interviewed early October... the 2nd day of interviews I think, first week of interviews.

Not the end of the world if I don't get into Penn, but it's be nice. :D I'm not counting my chickens...

March 4th sure would be a nice day to hear. I'm thinking March 14th, the Monday. Everything happens to me on Mondays... MCATs back on a monday... or it just might be my imagination.

jdovez

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 2, 2003
NYC
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
UDbiochem said:
I also interviewed early October... the 2nd day of interviews I think, first week of interviews.

Not the end of the world if I don't get into Penn, but it's be nice. :D I'm not counting my chickens...

March 4th sure would be a nice day to hear. I'm thinking March 14th, the Monday. Everything happens to me on Mondays... MCATs back on a monday... or it just might be my imagination.
Well.....I didn't quite interview as early as you guys, but......Penn is an absolutely amazing school and I would LOVE to hear from them soon.....I'm betting on March 17...why? No idea.....that's just the number that mysteriously came to me

OP
Treg

Treg

Surgeon in training
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 8, 2003
Southeast
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
RunMimi said:
I called their office to ask and they were uber-rude.

Me: "Hi. My name is RunMimi and I interviewed at Penn back in October. I was wondering when I will be notified of my final status."
Mean lady: "You want to know what? Don't you even read our literature?"
Me: "Yes, maam. It seemed a little vague."
Mean leady: "Mid-March. That's what it says."
Me: "And there is no more accurate information."
Mean lady: "No." ::slam::
Dang, I hate it when those offices are rude :mad:

I just guessed about the 4th. I have sent out an email to my interviewer to see if they have any ideas about the release date....

curiouslygeorge

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 24, 2003
NoCal
Visit site
Status
UDbiochem said:
Or March 5. (Would be a nice birthday present!) :laugh:

GuyLaroche

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2005
Status
RunMimi said:

Me: "Hi. My name is RunMimi and I interviewed at Penn back in October. I was wondering when I will be notified of my final status."
Wow! Even I cannot be that rude!

*GuyLaroche drops to his knees and prays. Yes! that's right, Prays. He gets Christian in times of deperation* Please, please, please, please UPenn, take me! I am so, so sorry for all my misdeeds. I am so sorry for being so mean in life and for dropping Canadian coins into the blind man's cup. Please, I need to get into UPenn - nevermind that I think you're a silly human invention, God. Please!

leverp2000

10+ Year Member
Jun 11, 2004
Status
I'm waiting for an MSTP decision and they said that they send them out on March 15. I remember them telling us that the MSTP decisions coincide with the MD decisions, so I'm betting on March 15th being the date for everything.

So still, 2 weeks more worth of waiting, most likely.

Neuronix

Total nerd
Staff member
Administrator
15+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2002
the beach
Status
Attending Physician
RunMimi said:
Every year that they give out a date they miss it by a week or two. Then everyone franticly calls and e-mails them and wants to know what's going on. So this year I guess they decided not to give out a date. Of course, that's no excuse to be rude and they're probably getting alot of calls anyways. My guess? Late march. Just be pleasantly surprised if you do hear in mid-march :) As for MSTP decisions, my waitlist came two weeks after the MD decisions, but I'm not really sure why that was or if they're still doing that.

Good luck everyone...

Psycho Doctor

*** Angel
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2004
Status
Medical Student
RunMimi said:

whoa! thanks for the update so I don't have to call and have my app put in the circular file for my inability to read :D

Psycho Doctor

*** Angel
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2004
Status
Medical Student
GuyLaroche said:
Wow! Even I cannot be that rude!

*GuyLaroche drops to his knees and prays. Yes! that's right, Prays. He gets Christian in times of deperation* Please, please, please, please UPenn, take me! I am so, so sorry for all my misdeeds. I am so sorry for being so mean in life and for dropping Canadian coins into the blind man's cup. Please, I need to get into UPenn - nevermind that I think you're a silly human invention, God. Please!
unfortunately God sees thru insincerity

myodana

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2004
BX, NY
Status
Medical Student
Psycho Doctor said:
unfortunately God sees thru insincerity
but apparently you don't see through sarcasm :)

sweatybrain

10+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I'm joining the countdown.

I think my rejection letter will get here in...May? Of next year?
(sorry. couldn't resist.)
(Did I mention I hate being an international?)

Psycho Doctor

*** Angel
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2004
Status
Medical Student
myodana said:
but apparently you don't see through sarcasm :)
actually i did, but apparently you missed my sarcasm :D

Psycho Doctor

*** Angel
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2004
Status
Medical Student
sweatybrain said:
I'm joining the countdown.

I think my rejection letter will get here in...May? Of next year?
(sorry. couldn't resist.)
(Did I mention I hate being an international?)

all this time inever realized you were an international. where do you live?

sweatybrain

10+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Psycho Doctor said:
all this time inever realized you were an international. where do you live?

NYC. I just wish it didn't take 2 years to get a green card. I would have been in a much better shape for med school.

can't complain though :)

Psycho Doctor

*** Angel
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2004
Status
Medical Student
sweatybrain said:
NYC. I just wish it didn't take 2 years to get a green card. I would have been in a much better shape for med school.

can't complain though :)

oh, ok I thought you lived locally. Sorry if the process was difficult; I thought you were doing quite well. congrats.

elicash

manic depressive
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 27, 2005
new york
Status
in response to RunMimi's call:

yesterday:
Me: "Hello, my name is Eli Cash. I was wondering if you could give me my decision over the phone?"
Penn: "Absolutely not."
Me: (Sweetly): "you can't -- really?"
Penn: "No."
Me: "thanks"
Simultaneously, Penn: "click"

RunMimi said:

ajt2003

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 9, 2004
Status
bidster said:
Eep...here we go with another countdown thread to help me procrastinate :rolleyes:

Anyway--I would be surprised (although pleasantly) if we heard by March 4th, since past years seem to a bit later than that. Do you have any particular reasons to think it would be by end of next week Treg? ;)

From last year's thread, decisions came up on March 11, and I definitely would not be surprised if they did the same again. March 11 falls on a Friday this year, and it would be perfect for allowing the barrage of calls regarding post-decision questions to diffuse over the weekend. So I'm guessing the 11th. I'm hoping it won't be any later than that!!!!
I'm thinking a Friday as well. Let's hope this Friday. But more likely, next week. Yes! Let's hear it for pure speculation! I love fueling the rumormill. ;)

OP
Treg

Treg

Surgeon in training
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 8, 2003
Southeast
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
So is the general concensus that we should hear sometime in the next two weeks?

Do you think that they have a log of how many times we check our status page, and that they chuckle over it? I try to limit myself to once (ok, maybe twice) per day :D

Treg

ajt2003

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 9, 2004
Status
Treg said:
So is the general concensus that we should hear sometime in the next two weeks?

Do you think that they have a log of how many times we check our status page, and that they chuckle over it? I try to limit myself to once (ok, maybe twice) per day :D

Treg

March 20th. That's the date that was given to a close friend of mine who's in the know. Yes, it's a Sunday. They're sneaky like that!

maybe they admit you if you're the one that checks the most...i fear i'd win that ;)

Sparky Man

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 3, 2004
Status
Medical Student
not much of a countdown thread. i wish they would hurry up already. i'm tired of waiting.... :sleep:

rugirlie

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Jun 4, 2003
jersey
Visit site
Status
So I was all happy when interviewing at Penn because their statistics from last year said they interviewed 755 and accepted 245 (something like that anyhow), suggesting a 1 in 3 shot once you interviewed. Now I realize that this number probably includes people accepted off the waitlist... therefore, I was wondering, does anyone have an idea of how many people they will probably accept right away? Eric/Neuronix can ya help us out?

Sparky Man

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 3, 2004
Status
Medical Student
rugirlie said:
So I was all happy when interviewing at Penn because their statistics from last year said they interviewed 755 and accepted 245 (something like that anyhow), suggesting a 1 in 3 shot once you interviewed. Now I realize that this number probably includes people accepted off the waitlist... therefore, I was wondering, does anyone have an idea of how many people they will probably accept right away? Eric/Neuronix can ya help us out?
I'm curious about that, too!!! BuMp

flamingo

10+ Year Member
Jul 24, 2004
mdapplicants.com
Status
I emailed Gaye Sheffler @ Penn, and she replied that decisions will be posted "during the week of March 20." So we could be waiting even longer than March 20, arghhhhhhhh.

hm I don't think shes ever responded to one of my emails ;) interesting... ;)

GuyLaroche

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2005
Status
the1111gal said:
hm I don't think shes ever responded to one of my emails ;) interesting... ;)
I am waiting for a frenzy to start: if Gaye Sheffler e-mails you, then you're in. If not, then... as Runmimi would say, that's a bad night.

javert

Mostly Harmless
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 19, 2003
Philly
Status
Medical Student
GuyLaroche said:
I am waiting for a frenzy to start: if Gaye Sheffler e-mails you, then you're in. If not, then... as Runmimi would say, that's a bad night.
Oh no...not again... :scared:

javert

Mostly Harmless
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 19, 2003
Philly
Status
Medical Student
Neuronix said:
She never responded to mine either, as an applicant or a student.
OK...then if Gaye emails you, you're NOT in; if she doesn't email you, you're in!

Sorry, flamingo ;) :laugh:

CTNeuro20

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 22, 2004
Status
To all MSTPers:
Maggie said probably March 18 or 21. Notification will go out by e-mail, as well as regular mail!

UDbiochem

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 13, 2003
NJ
Visit site
Status
bumping the thread... because last year the decisions came out on a Thursday afternoon, the 11th of March... who knows?!

I know someone says the 20th... I don't want to wait that long!

Penn, I'd really like to know.

MaKiaveli

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 20, 2004
Status
For what its worth, I recently sent an email update to Penn (their email address on the status page website, not to Sheffler) and got a response from her the other day. While I don't want to provide the actual letter cuz of privacy issues, she basically thanked me for sending in the letter and commented on certain things I said in it and it seemed positive. But then again, there doesn't seem to be any Columiba-like hoopla over this, so maybe I'm reading into it. Anyhow, thought I'd throw in my experience into this thread. Lemme know if anyone can second it.

Good luck,

MK

ajt2003

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 9, 2004
Status
MaKiaveli said:
For what its worth, I recently sent an email update to Penn (their email address on the status page website, not to Sheffler) and got a response from her the other day. While I don't want to provide the actual letter cuz of privacy issues, she basically thanked me for sending in the letter and commented on certain things I said in it and it seemed positive. But then again, there doesn't seem to be any Columiba-like hoopla over this, so maybe I'm reading into it. Anyhow, thought I'd throw in my experience into this thread. Lemme know if anyone can second it.

Good luck,

MK
Hey Makiaveli,

I've had the same experience with Ms. Sheffler. We've gone back and forth a couple times via email since my January interview - and each time she's been really positive and, for lack of a better word, cool. I'm not getting too ahead of myself, but it's hard not to read too much into any form of positive (or negative) feedback at this point!

We'll all know soon!

But not soon enough. D'oh.

MaKiaveli

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 20, 2004
Status
ajt2003.,

while i likewise don't want to overstate its importance, I do think she wouldn't be sending these letters with positive connotations if we were flat-out rejected. its just my speculation. anyhow, good luck buddy.

MK

ajt2003

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 9, 2004
Status
rugirlie said:
Does Penn even reject post-interview? Or are they gonna pull an NYU and waitlist everyone and their mothers?
I've heard that they have a 3-tiered waitlist. But, realistically, if you're placed on the 2nd or 3rd tier of the waitlist, I think it's safe to assume it's over. Again, this is all what I've heard from a friend who applied two years ago...and was waitlisted.

OP
Treg

Treg

Surgeon in training
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 8, 2003
Southeast
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
For a little while this morning I had trouble getting the status page to load....I wonder if they are uploading their results, and will collectively unleash them sometime soon? I am not expecting today, but maybe tomorrow? I know, I know, we heard the 20th, but you never know :D

Treg

rugirlie

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Jun 4, 2003
jersey
Visit site
Status
ajt2003 said:
I've heard that they have a 3-tiered waitlist. But, realistically, if you're placed on the 2nd or 3rd tier of the waitlist, I think it's safe to assume it's over. Again, this is all what I've heard from a friend who applied two years ago...and was waitlisted.

Will they tell you where on the waitlist you are?

ajt2003

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 9, 2004
Status
rugirlie said:
Will they tell you where on the waitlist you are?
Apparently - and, again, this is secondhand - your waitlist status pops up...like, it'll say, "WAITLIST - TIER 2" or something like that. So, you'll know right away.

Rgh. Why is it taking so incredibly long!? Didn't they stop interviewing over a month ago...

Too much nervous energy. I have to go for a walk.

Psycho Doctor

*** Angel
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2004
Status
Medical Student
rugirlie said:
Does Penn even reject post-interview? Or are they gonna pull an NYU and waitlist everyone and their mothers?
my mother didn't apply :D you can take her off your list

hm now i feel worse that my emails have gone unanswered...::looks for excuse to send email to see if THIS TIME its answered::

GuyLaroche

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2005
Status
javert said:
But he was mean, and an ultrapuritan, who let Fontaine die a diseased prostitute. Why would you ever want to be him!