Penn countdown thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
GuyLaroche said:
But he was mean, and an ultrapuritan, who let Fontaine die a diseased prostitute. Why would you ever want to be him!

:laugh: Yeah, so? :laugh:

I seem to like the more repulsive characters in literature. On some site I joined long ago, Humbert (from Lolita) was already taken, so I went with Javert instead and have stuck with it since.

Members don't see this ad.

The past couple years, Penn's ranking system has been the following:

Accepted - Congrats!
Top of Tier 1 Waitlist - You're going to be the first off of the waitlist when it moves. A LOI would solidify things at this point. Don't expect a scholarship though. If you have this status it WILL say so on the website and on your letter.
Tier 1 Waitlist - This is the real waitlist. Good luck.
Tier 2 Waitlist - Penn's form of a rejection. It's rare that they dig down this far.

The waitlist usually does not move until after Penn Preview. Sometimes they do invite top of tier 1 waitlistees to Penn Preview if they express an interest in coming. The waitlist is ranked, but the ranks change depending on things like LOI, class makeup, etc... They will NOT admit to having rankings and will NOT tell you where you are ranked.

Now for the MD/PhD folks: The competitiveness here swings wildly from year to year. In my year, they took some people from Tier 2 waitlist, and last year they didn't even have room for Top of Tier 1 people because the waitlist hardly moved at all. Some of the people invited back for Preview didn't even get in, which was kind of cruel. If they don't mention paying for your travel expenses to Penn Preview, do mention that you'd like them paid for. They will, but sometimes only if you ask. That does not apply for MD students, except I hear rumors about certain VIPs (disadvantaged, URM, scholarship, etc).

I hope that clears it up for you guys. Good luck!

Well, it should be interesting to see that status page change, whenever that might be! Thanks neuronix :)

Treg

Members don't see this ad :)
not that i have to worry about this or anything ;) but when would we find out about scholarships if we were to get one?
thanks!

Thanks for the info, neuronix. Do you know when Penn usually send out financial aid letters to those that have been accepted? Should we start applying for finaid well in advance of the official decision on March 20th?

Btw, I'm a fan of GITS also :thumbup:

the1111gal said:
not that i have to worry about this or anything ;) ...

Humility is such an overrated thing. Let me tell you, I have tried it both ways. I have been unbearably arrogant and angelically humble. Neither stopped Harvard from barring me from logging into the financial aid website (which is a presumed rejection). If you are interested in a scholarship, it is because you think you deserve one. And you probably do. Now, Neuronix, how about we answer her question.

I don't know about financial aid and scholarships. Sorry. That said: here's the rumors I hear, and I know no more than this. Most people don't get them, and those who do usually get into Harvard/Hopkins and Penn is trying to recruit them. My understanding is also that it's a big URM recruiting thing. Further, I hear that one can get one with their acceptance or at Penn Preview. I hear they can be negotiated if finances is an issue at another big name school.

As for when to fill out fin aid paperwork, I'm really not sure. This is never something I've had to worry about as a MD/PhD. I did file FASFAs, as I do take out sub loans, but for me there's really not much of a deadline.

Neuronix said:
I don't know about financial aid and scholarships. Sorry. That said: here's the rumors I hear, and I know no more than this. Most people don't get them, and those who do usually get into Harvard/Hopkins and Penn is trying to recruit them. My understanding is also that it's a big URM recruiting thing. Further, I hear that one can get one with their acceptance or at Penn Preview. I hear they can be negotiated if finances is an issue at another big name school.

As for when to fill out fin aid paperwork, I'm really not sure. This is never something I've had to worry about as a MD/PhD. I did file FASFAs, as I do take out sub loans, but for me there's really not much of a deadline.

God (and I have only recently refound interest in Him with the entire Harvard debacle) bless you Neuronix. You are awesome and oh-so-knowledgeable.

GuyLaroche said:
God (and I have only recently refound interest in Him with the entire Harvard debacle) bless you Neuronix. You are awesome and oh-so-knowledgeable.

guylaroche,
who knew you had such a soft side with literature.
but i don't get it.... i thought you wanted to go to duke, where you were accepted.... are you just worried about Penn out of the sheer competitiveness (whether self-competitiveness or against others) that has developed into anyone who is on these boards all the time? if you like NC, i would imagine that Duke is better than Penn (having visited both and loved duke except for the NC factor). sorry about HMS and good luck.

---
"God is merciful"

I liked Penn more, myself...and they haven't even rejected me yet ;) So that automatically makes them better than Duke to me!! Of course I think I deserve a scholarship but getting one from miami doesn't equal getting one from penn haha--though it would be lovely, I'm just hoping to get in.

elicash said:
guylaroche,
who knew you had such a soft side with literature.
but i don't get it.... i thought you wanted to go to duke, where you were accepted.... are you just worried about Penn out of the sheer competitiveness (whether self-competitiveness or against others) that has developed into anyone who is on these boards all the time? if you like NC, i would imagine that Duke is better than Penn (having visited both and loved duke except for the NC factor). sorry about HMS and good luck.

---
"God is merciful"

I was accepted to Duke. Upenn and Duke are a tie for me. I am a bit worried with the outcome of my interviews at the other schools because it makes me think there is something pathologically wrong with me - 'cause I clearly got almost all of the interviews I wanted. I am worried that perhaps I, the person, am not as good as I seem on paper. So, acceptance for me isn't simply about getting in everywhere. It is about validating my worth as a person.... That sounds tragic. I should share this with my doctor tomorrow.

GuyLaroche said:
I was accepted to Duke. Upenn and Duke are a tie for me. I am a bit worried with the outcome of my interviews at the other schools because it makes me think there is something pathologically wrong with me - 'cause I clearly got almost all of the interviews I wanted. I am worried that perhaps I, the person, am not as good as I seem on paper. So, acceptance for me isn't simply about getting in everywhere. It is about validating my worth as a person.... That sounds tragic. I should share this with my doctor tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

Oh my gosh, :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

ALERT: got an email from penn saying that decisions will be online the week of March 21st. (you guys probably all got it)

Well, now I can stop looking every few hours or so. I just hope it's the beginning of that week... ARGH! I'm so impatient. :scared: :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Yup I got the email too and I'll just post it here for everyone who's email is messed up or something ;)
Dear Applicant,

Thank you for your interest in the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine. The final admissions decisions will be made available to all applicants via the admissions status page (www.med.upenn.edu/apps/my/admissions) the week of March 21. A hard copy of the decisions will also be mailed at that time.

Sincerely,

Office of Admissions
and Financial Aid

Anyway, I think I'll probably start checking obsessively that day...no more checking till then, wahoo!

same here! It's nice to know!

I have a feeling they'll post on that Monday. I mean, they have to, right?!

my heart jumped when i saw that email in my inbox. now there's just more waiting... calm down, little heart.

with decisions right around the corner, do you think it's too late to send a letter of interest? or should i just wait?

boardchic said:
my heart jumped when i saw that email in my inbox. now there's just more waiting... calm down, little heart.

MINE, too! I was like, CRAP! I'm not ready to know! Haha.

This process drives me bonkers. Wasn't there a candy called bonkers? Back in the late 80's?

Oh, and send the LETTER! Email it. If it's your first choice, let them know...can't hurt.

I just got an email from Penn! Here it is!!!!

Dear Applicant,

Thank you for your interest in the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine. The final admissions decisions will be made available to all applicants via the admissions status page (www.med.upenn.edu/apps/my/admissions) the week of March 21. A hard copy of the decisions will also be mailed at that time.

Sincerely,

Office of Admissions
and Financial Aid

LOL... 750-800 people out there that interviewed are checking their inboxes and having mini cardiac arrests. Same here, I was like OMG, and then nothing exciting.

UDbiochem said:
LOL... 750-800 people out there that interviewed are checking their inboxes and having mini cardiac arrests. Same here, I was like OMG, and then nothing exciting.

I know, I didn't know what else to say, other than, I got an email! pretty lame, huh?

UDbiochem said:
ALERT: got an email from penn saying that decisions will be online the week of March 21st. (you guys probably all got it)

Well, now I can stop looking every few hours or so. I just hope it's the beginning of that week... ARGH! I'm so impatient. :scared: :laugh:
and doesn't this just confirm the original projected date? we need to trust them more

boardchic said:
hopefully an acceptance will say "congratulations" in the subject line.

is your heart ok? I'm worried. :eek:

UDbiochem said:

I wasn't even interviewed there and even I got the email. Maybe they knew I was just so incredible they HAD to have me and knew an interview would simply be a waste of time. :rolleyes: yeah -- right

ummm....anyone else not get this e-mail?

Neuronix said:
The past couple years, Penn's ranking system has been the following:

Accepted - Congrats!
Top of Tier 1 Waitlist - You're going to be the first off of the waitlist when it moves. A LOI would solidify things at this point. Don't expect a scholarship though. If you have this status it WILL say so on the website and on your letter.
Tier 1 Waitlist - This is the real waitlist. Good luck.
Tier 2 Waitlist - Penn's form of a rejection. It's rare that they dig down this far.

The waitlist usually does not move until after Penn Preview. Sometimes they do invite top of tier 1 waitlistees to Penn Preview if they express an interest in coming. The waitlist is ranked, but the ranks change depending on things like LOI, class makeup, etc... They will NOT admit to having rankings and will NOT tell you where you are ranked.

Now for the MD/PhD folks: The competitiveness here swings wildly from year to year. In my year, they took some people from Tier 2 waitlist, and last year they didn't even have room for Top of Tier 1 people because the waitlist hardly moved at all. Some of the people invited back for Preview didn't even get in, which was kind of cruel. If they don't mention paying for your travel expenses to Penn Preview, do mention that you'd like them paid for. They will, but sometimes only if you ask. That does not apply for MD students, except I hear rumors about certain VIPs (disadvantaged, URM, scholarship, etc).

I hope that clears it up for you guys. Good luck!
thanks, Neuronix, that was very helpful.

ajt2003 said:
MINE, too! I was like, CRAP! I'm not ready to know! Haha.

This process drives me bonkers. Wasn't there a candy called bonkers? Back in the late 80's? .

yes there was!!! :) Apparently when I was 3, that was my sugar of choice, but I don't even remember what it was like (taffy-like maybe?)....I wonder what happened to it.

Oh but back to matters at hand...I guess the 20th is out the window. Maybe they can overlap with yale and that day can be like ripping off a bandaid! :p