Aug 20, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
I noticed there is a focus on medical courses in the earlier didactic years of the Penn curriculum... what are the benefits of this (what are they trying to achieve by doing this). I read on some forums that these classes force you to memorize unnecessary knowledge that you will never use in your career. But there must be some point in having it in the curriculum right?

Pablo Sanchez

2+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2016
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
I noticed there is a focus on medical courses in the earlier didactic years of the Penn curriculum... what are the benefits of this (what are they trying to achieve by doing this). I read on some forums that these classes force you to memorize unnecessary knowledge that you will never use in your career. But there must be some point in having it in the curriculum right?

I'm finishing up my second year now, so I feel like I am in a pretty good position to answer this. I don't know what it is like at other schools, but I genuinely feel that the Penn curriculum has prepared me to understand the health of my patients, and how it relates to dentistry. For example, someone with a cirrhotic liver might have blood disorders that might require extra precautions when performing an invasive surgical procedure. I can't speak to how well other curriculums might prepare their students to manage such patients, but Penn does a good job. Feel free to message me if you have any questions.

Reactions: 1 user
Aug 20, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
I'm finishing up my second year now, so I feel like I am in a pretty good position to answer this. I don't know what it is like at other schools, but I genuinely feel that the Penn curriculum has prepared me to understand the health of my patients, and how it relates to dentistry. For example, someone with a cirrhotic liver might have blood disorders that might require extra precautions when performing an invasive surgical procedure. I can't speak to how well other curriculums might prepare their students to manage such patients, but Penn does a good job. Feel free to message me if you have any questions.
This really helps, thank you!! I do have a few questions, so I'm going to send over a pm soon. Appreciate it :)

Reactions: 1 user
About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.