penn dental school - medical courses in earlier years

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

evilbiologist

Reaction score
I noticed there is a focus on medical courses in the earlier didactic years of the Penn curriculum... what are the benefits of this (what are they trying to achieve by doing this). I read on some forums that these classes force you to memorize unnecessary knowledge that you will never use in your career. But there must be some point in having it in the curriculum right?

Members don't see this ad.

I noticed there is a focus on medical courses in the earlier didactic years of the Penn curriculum... what are the benefits of this (what are they trying to achieve by doing this). I read on some forums that these classes force you to memorize unnecessary knowledge that you will never use in your career. But there must be some point in having it in the curriculum right?

I'm finishing up my second year now, so I feel like I am in a pretty good position to answer this. I don't know what it is like at other schools, but I genuinely feel that the Penn curriculum has prepared me to understand the health of my patients, and how it relates to dentistry. For example, someone with a cirrhotic liver might have blood disorders that might require extra precautions when performing an invasive surgical procedure. I can't speak to how well other curriculums might prepare their students to manage such patients, but Penn does a good job. Feel free to message me if you have any questions.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm finishing up my second year now, so I feel like I am in a pretty good position to answer this. I don't know what it is like at other schools, but I genuinely feel that the Penn curriculum has prepared me to understand the health of my patients, and how it relates to dentistry. For example, someone with a cirrhotic liver might have blood disorders that might require extra precautions when performing an invasive surgical procedure. I can't speak to how well other curriculums might prepare their students to manage such patients, but Penn does a good job. Feel free to message me if you have any questions.
This really helps, thank you!! I do have a few questions, so I'm going to send over a pm soon. Appreciate it :)

Reactions: 1 user