Penn State and New York Medical College, Temple

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Margarita

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I've been accepted to Penn State and my interview cash stash is dwindling, have to fly out from the West Coast, invited to New York Medical College and Temple for interviews, so would love to hear your thoughts on whether I should sit tight and be content with PSU, or if I'm completely in the dark and should fly out to NYMC, Temple to interview. And, if I could afford only one more, to interview at NYMC or Temple. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Well, I am biased. Penn St is the only school I have interviewed at out of those three... BUT, based purely on money, they all seem to be around the same. NYMC in my opinion doesn't match up to Penn St from everything I have heard. Temple is in Philly, Yes... but in a relatively poor area from what I hear. Penn St is obviously as you know, rural and cow-ridden. Depends on what you like I suppose.

Keep in mind that in terms of ranking, Penn St. does not appear on the top 50, BUT they do not submit their data to US News. They are just over 40 years old and have already built quite the reputable school. Many people speculate that if they were to submit their stats, they would surely be in the top 50. Maybe we will see each other there?

I have also been accepted to Penn State and interviewed at NYMC before I got the letter--I was not impressed with NYMC at all--I just didn't get a good feel there. Penn State is far superior in terms of curriculum, facilities (although NYMC does have an amazing anatomy lab). and supposed reputation. NYMC is not really in the city either, it's in a well-to-do suburb that is as quiet as Hershey...so basically, I would save the money and stick with Penn State! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Penn State > NYMC > Temple

Stick with Penn State. :cool:

Geez guys, what's with all the cow references every time someone mentions PSU? We didn't have that many - as a matter of fact, I only saw them once and that was a special trip out to the barns (which are a ways away from campus) with one of the CT fellows. Its not like they're walking around campus!:D

To the OP: frankly, the area/environment around NYMC is about the same as Hershey - suburban/rural, depending on your definition. I'm not up to date with rankings, curriculum etc between the two, so I'll let the others guide that.

Hershey does get more penetrating trauma now that the EMTs are actually following the PSTF (PA state trauma federation) guidelines and bringing them to our Level 1 trauma center, as opposed to bringing them to Harrisburg Hospital (where admittedly most of the GSWs happen). But it cannot compete with Temple. Then again, as a medical student your involvement will be limited to your surgical rotation. The Amish and Mennonites also provide an interesting cultural experience here.

Obviously the environment at Temple is totally different so if you were to choose one trip out, I would go there and see the facilities, talk to the students, etc. The surgical residents I know who have graduated from Temple Medical School were very happy with it as they were very involved during their trauma rotations, got to do lots of procedures, etc. I don't know much about the rest of the years.

In the end you will get a good education regardless of where you go and there is not much difference in the rankings/experience at each of the schools you've listed. So its going to come down to geography and a feel for the program. I know the PSU students tend to be very happy and the facilities are nice. Its also a good feeling to be able to walk around the campus and to your car without fears of crime.

I'll put in my 2 cents.

I interviewed at Penn State and Temple, and declined NYMC after I was accepted to SLU.

Between Penn State and Temple: it really depends on what kind of person you are. Are you a city person? I consider myself a city person coming from Los Angeles, however I REALLY disliked Temple. The area was gross and I felt so uncomfortable and out of place, and scared at times. Penn State was far more impressive in every sense, even though the area is bland, it is safe and if you have a car you aren't too far of a drive from major cities. I liked Penn State 1000 times better, but thats just my opinion. I'll say that even though Penn State rejected me post interview and temple accepted me.

NYMC is def not equally rural as Hershey PA. NYC is door to door 45 minutes away via train or car... Plus we have lots of hospitals in the city to rotate thru, 3rd and 4th years live in NYC if they want.

Here's something you don't see on NYMC's website, the site of their main hospital westchester medical center www.worldclassmedicine.com

check out this thread.

All three schools have + and -'s.
If you really love a city type atmosphere, Penn State might not be the type of place for you. It is pretty rural..., farms, cows... etc. and the closest big city is Philadelphia (2 hours away_.

When i went to Temple, I really liked Temple, and I thought that they were doing a lot to improve and better themselves. In addition, I've heard a lot of great things about their 3rd and 4th years and the clinical training you do get there.

However, if you're more into research, I don't think Temple's research is 'top-notch'.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=369281