Penn State class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LT2

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
just thought i'd get us started!! :D

Members don't see this ad.

hey, do you know if there is a second look sometime in the spring? also, do you know what their class schedule is like (ie. how many hours/day they're in class)? i'm sending in my deposit tomorrow! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, I believe there was a Second Look last year in April. I don't remember much about the class schedule. The med students explained it over lunch, but I was kinda hungry and just wolfed my food down without paying attention.

I sent my deposit in last Wednesday. Hopefully they get it. Do they e-mail you/notify you when it's received?

PhillyEaglesFan said:
Yes, I believe there was a Second Look last year in April. I don't remember much about the class schedule. The med students explained it over lunch, but I was kinda hungry and just wolfed my food down without paying attention.

I sent my deposit in last Wednesday. Hopefully they get it. Do they e-mail you/notify you when it's received?

i don't know, i'm scared to send it in over thanksgiving, i don't want mine to get lost. i suppose you could call to make sure it got there. heck, you could probably drop it off in person!!!

man it's so quiet in here, we need some help! when are they going to send out some more good news so we can turn it into a party in here?!?
party0023.gif

Gah! Haven't gotten my deposit yet (mailed it two weeks ago). Nothing's easy, eh?

Hey LT,

Did they acknowledge yo deposit yet? Nothing for me yet. Lemme know when they do.

PhillyEaglesFan said:
Hey LT,

Did they acknowledge yo deposit yet? Nothing for me yet. Lemme know when they do.

all quiet on the western (no pun intended) front... :confused: i was thinking about calling on monday. maybe they're just not ready for responses to be coming back yet...

Yeah, I e-mailed them on Monday; no response yet. I figure they're probably swamped, so I'm going to give them one or two more weeks before I call.

did you guys find out before the 6-8 weeks after interview. interviewed there a few weeks ago, and its killing me.... I need to know :scared:

I just got accepted to Penn State on 12-2. Today I sent out my $100 deposit.

Freakedout said:
did you guys find out before the 6-8 weeks after interview. interviewed there a few weeks ago, and its killing me.... I need to know :scared:

I interviewed on 10-12 and I got accepted via snail mail on 12-2. So it took me 7 weeks and 2 days to receive notice from the school. Good luck to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
jzelones said:
I just got accepted to Penn State on 12-2. Today I sent out my $100 deposit.

welcome jzelones and congrats! it's pretty quiet in here so far, i don't know that penn state has sent many acceptances out yet...

hey eaglesfan, i don't think they've gotten my deposit yet either. at least they haven't deposited my check yet. btw, how much snow do you get out your way? just curious....

edit: i interviewed 9/28 and was notified ~11/26 so a bit over 8 weeks for a response.

Congrats jzeljones! Hope to see you there next year.

Hey big LT. We get four or five big snowstorms here every season; several minor snowfalls mixed in. Nothing that you need to buy a Hummer for, though. It does get cold. Today the high was only 40 degrees. Still nothing for me either...I'll let you know when there is though.

Where is everyone else? I am feeling lonely in here but I enjoy the company of PhillyEaglesFan and LT2.

jzelones said:
Where is everyone else? I am feeling lonely in here but I enjoy the company of PhillyEaglesFan and LT2.

it is pretty quiet in here, isn't it? at least we're growing....slowly.... :p

LT2 said:
it is pretty quiet in here, isn't it? at least we're growing....slowly.... :p

Sounds good to me. So what did you guys think of Penn State. I thought the students were very friendly. The area seemed really nice with grass and trees everywhere. Also I find the humanistic aspect of the curriculum very interesting. The facilities are sweet (automatic doors, stimulator lab w/ dummy, lecture halls, etc). Too bad I didn't get to see the anatomy lab though during the interview.
:laugh: :laugh:

jzelones said:
Sounds good to me. So what did you guys think of Penn State. I thought the students were very friendly. The area seemed really nice with grass and trees everywhere. Also I find the humanistic aspect of the curriculum very interesting. The facilities are sweet (automatic doors, stimulator lab w/ dummy, lecture halls, etc). Too bad I didn't get to see the anatomy lab though during the interview.
:laugh: :laugh:

i really liked it... i stayed with a student the night before (he's a graduate of my school) so he gave me a tour of the lecture hall, anatomy lab, etc. the lecture hall seemed pretty nice, the anatomy lab was, well, small. the only thing i didn't like from what i heard is there are no lectures taped and provided to students online and there is no scribe service. i don't know if this is true or not, it's just the impression i got from the students i asked. otherwise, i was impressed. it'll be a big change from san diego though (not to mention hard to move away from fam and friends)!!

Facilities look up-to-date...campus is beautiful. One of the med students explained to me how the students benefit from the name and resources of being associated with Penn State. Oddly, the example he used was scrub suits--apparently there are scrub machines on campus where you can get an unlimited supply of scrubs. :confused:

Personally, I love the Harrisburg area. Life here is easy and comfortable. Traffic is easy, you don't have people beeping at you every second...lots of open space and breathing room, lots of green...but it's not country, there's shopping and entertainment around...and the city of Harrisburg (with the beautiful Susquehanna River and Riverfront Park) is just 15 minutes away from Hershey if you're bored. And if you're even more bored (which probably will happen), you can be in Philly or Baltimore inside of two hours.

LT, it would be quite a change from San Diego! But I think at the very least, you'd find it a refreshing break from the big city.

PhillyEaglesFan said:
Facilities look up-to-date...campus is beautiful. One of the med students explained to me how the students benefit from the name and resources of being associated with Penn State. Oddly, the example he used was scrub suits--apparently there are scrub machines on campus where you can get an unlimited supply of scrubs. :confused:

Personally, I love the Harrisburg area. Life here is easy and comfortable. Traffic is easy, you don't have people beeping at you every second...lots of open space and breathing room, lots of green...but it's not country, there's shopping and entertainment around...and the city of Harrisburg (with the beautiful Susquehanna River and Riverfront Park) is just 15 minutes away from Hershey if you're bored. And if you're even more bored (which probably will happen), you can be in Philly or Baltimore inside of two hours.

LT, it would be quite a change from San Diego! But I think at the very least, you'd find it a refreshing break from the big city.

yeah, hershey is definitely NOT san diego. my grandmother lives in Lancaster, PA though, so i know it's different!! i think it'll be nice though. i have the opportunity to go to philly if i want, but i felt like i was going to get run over every time i crossed the street! i dunno about big city life. san diego has a different "big city" feel.

PhillyEaglesFan said:

Sorry to break it to you, but Harrisburg is one of the most depressing places I have ever seen. It sucks the life out of you - not really a hot spot for 20 year olds.

PhillyEaglesFan said:

double post

Idioteque said:
double post

it's not unlimited scrubs..u have a 2 or 3 scrub limit last i recall. u have to swipe ur id badge.

as for scribe service, it up to ur class. if ur class wants to have it, there is a fee per person. the more people who sign up for it, the cheaper it is.

schedule varies depending on the block. anatomy is the first block and it depends when ur lab is (morning vs afternoon).

Idioteque said:
Sorry to break it to you, but Harrisburg is one of the most depressing places I have ever seen. It sucks the life out of you - not really a hot spot for 20 year olds.

i'm not a 20 year old so that's ok... :rolleyes: besides, i don't know how much time i'd be spending in harrisburg anyway.

Hey eaglesfan- i received a receipt of my deposit today via email...

Also got the deposit received e-mail today. Guess they do it in batches. It's official baby!

I could see how you might find Harrisburg depressing, especially if you're coming here from a bigger city. To each his own.

Up for...ummmm...Florida State in two weeks.

Hey guys! I'm new to this forum and glad it's here! I got my deposit receipt today.

Now to find housing... Sucks that the on-campus housing doesn't allow a cat or even fish. oh well.

I would LOVE to get on the bandwagon to have a scribe service for our class.

I'll even organize it.

I would have absolute pure and undying love for Penn State if it had some kind of note-taking service. It's really my only con. Every student for himself doesn't fly so well in my book... I like classmates and camaraderie.

4424 said:
it's not unlimited scrubs..u have a 2 or 3 scrub limit last i recall. u have to swipe ur id badge.

as for scribe service, it up to ur class. if ur class wants to have it, there is a fee per person. the more people who sign up for it, the cheaper it is.

schedule varies depending on the block. anatomy is the first block and it depends when ur lab is (morning vs afternoon).

hey guys i found out i got in a few days ago!! ya i loved the school. in terms of the medical school being affiliated with a University, its a definite plus.

ya i was also curious what the daily schedule is like. i'll be emailing some students soon so when i find out i'll put it in this forum (or if anyone else does, please do so). also, i was just wondering, i know its VERY VERY early but i'm interested in eventually doing a cardiology fellowship. i was looking at match results for a couple schools, and i don't see cardiology listed? am i missing something here--i thought cardiology was a fellowship.

also i need some clarification..after 4 yrs of med school you do a residency in internal medicine for 3 yrs...and then if you want, u do a fellowship in radiology/pediatrics/cardiology/etc. right? so if you do a fellowship after your residency, why do you apply for a specific residency right out of med school? shouldn't u wait until u do ur internal medicine residency first before applying to a specialty?

also, i am in 100% support of the above poster's comment of setting up a scribe service. i'm also a person who likes comradarie and am really lookin forward to meeting all you guys one day! :D

I'm down with scribin'!

Regarding the residency, I think you are correct. Three years IM residency, then you apply for a fellowship if desired. Also, I don't think you have to apply for a fellowship until your last year of residency or thereabouts. Basically, IM residency is the foundation you need, and cardiology (or any other subspecialty) builds on that.

i got penn state scrubs for xmas. i'll be the one wearing them at orientation.

:oops:

Hmm...so wistarrat, you're definitely going to Penn State? My first official classmate? Yay!

PhillyEaglesFan said:
Hmm...so wistarrat, you're definitely going to Penn State? My first official classmate? Yay!

I will be there! But only if we get a scribe service. Or at least a tape recorder.

heh.

I can't wait to meet everyone in "real life"... or maybe I'll always just be wistarrat. and you'll always be phillyeaglesfan.

sigh. where's everyone else?!?! :confused:

wistarrat said:
I will be there! But only if we get a scribe service. Or at least a tape recorder.

heh.

I can't wait to meet everyone in "real life"... or maybe I'll always just be wistarrat. and you'll always be phillyeaglesfan.

sigh. where's everyone else?!?! :confused:

wattup dudes and dudettes!! we shud get this thread on the roll. so does penn state definately have a second-look weekend? if anyone knows about it, can you tell us what you guys do exactly and stuff? Penn State is definately one of my top choices. also, does anyone know wat the daily schedule is like for students there (especially first years)? for instance, SUNY Buffalo has classes from 8-12p and that's it. and some days they have lab.

ya and about the scribe service, i for one have a digital tape recorder. i definately don't mind posting the lecture on some site we create when i go to lectures and stuff to help out my classmates.

well, rock on and maybe one day i'll see all u guys in real-life! :D

peace :cool:

Congratulations Kids. There is a second look weekend, sometime early in the spring, definitely worthwhile. First year is frontloaded, you start with anatomy, where you get split into 2 groups, and have lecture in AM and anatomy lab in the PM, or vice versa. The rest of the year is pretty light. There is no need for a scribe service. We didn't have one our year. You get a very thick packet of notes for every lecture, which are very detailed. All the exam questions come from those notes. You can easily skip alot of lectures after the anatomy block and just study the notes, especially if you have a decent science background. Third and Fourth year is really where PSU shines, the clinical faculty is great. If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me. I'll be gone by the time you guys start, so good luck. The class above you is pretty decent, so i'm sure they'll be willing to show you the ropes once you get there.

wtwei02 said:
Congratulations Kids. There is a second look weekend, sometime early in the spring, definitely worthwhile. First year is frontloaded, you start with anatomy, where you get split into 2 groups, and have lecture in AM and anatomy lab in the PM, or vice versa. The rest of the year is pretty light. There is no need for a scribe service. We didn't have one our year. You get a very thick packet of notes for every lecture, which are very detailed. All the exam questions come from those notes. You can easily skip alot of lectures after the anatomy block and just study the notes, especially if you have a decent science background. Third and Fourth year is really where PSU shines, the clinical faculty is great. If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me. I'll be gone by the time you guys start, so good luck. The class above you is pretty decent, so i'm sure they'll be willing to show you the ropes once you get there.

Ohhhhh we're given notes?!?? That's fantastic!!! I was given the impression we're completely on our own regarding class materials.

Just a quick plug, I have a townhouse that my 2 roomates and I are helping our landlord rent after we leave in a few months. It's in a development with lots of med students, less than 10 minutes from the med center. 4 bedrooms, 2/2 bathrooms with a deck and backyard. The three of us are paying less than 400 each...so it's a bargain.

wistarrat said:
Ohhhhh we're given notes?!?? That's fantastic!!! I was given the impression we're completely on our own regarding class materials.

Yes...I took no additional notes all of the first 2 years. The exception is Anatomy, where you get notes and skeleton diagrams, and you have to come to lecture and fill in the names, draw in muscles, nerves, arteries, veins, etc. Invest in some quality colored pencils. Unfortunately, it's not quite as fun as it sounds.

wtwei02 said:
Just a quick plug, I have a townhouse that my 2 roomates and I are helping our landlord rent after we leave in a few months. It's in a development with lots of med students, less than 10 minutes from the med center. 4 bedrooms, 2/2 bathrooms with a deck and backyard. The three of us are paying less than 400 each...so it's a bargain.
ya, the rent sounds real good. is this a male or female residence? also aren't the dorms there around $400 as well?

hi guys!

i was just wondering, where do you guys think Penn State COM would rank in terms of medical schools. for instance, i read a post earlier that was comparing Rosalind Franklin to NYMC and saying they were both comparably the same, numbers-wise. i was also looking at some schools in the MSAR and was comparing the median GPA and MCAT of accepted students with that of Penn State and Penn seems to be doing pretty well. for instance, PSU has a higher median GPA/MCAT than schools such as Brown, Albert Einstein, GWU, etc. (which are great schools as well).

i'm only asking this so that i may better make a decision on which medical school to choose and which school would ultimately help us get into a competitive residency program.

also, for ppl who go to Penn State or are familiar with it does the Medical Student Research Program really help you guys when your applying for a residency? i hear research is helpful for some specialties and not for others...any thoughts?

o and HAPPY NEW YEAR! :D

From what I know, it's a second/mid tier med school. It's definitely no Penn, Harvard, Hopkins, etc. It won't keep you out of any residencies, but the name itself won't get you into any competitive residencies either. Basically, how well you do depends entirely on how well you do in med school and on the boards. We do fair on step one, about 98% of the people pass step one, and our average scores are right around the national average, 216 our year. The MSR will definitely help with residencies, if you can figure out which specialty you want to do research in by the end of first year. You can pretty much figure out which specialties research will be useful in.

wistarrat said:
Hey guys! I'm new to this forum and glad it's here! I got my deposit receipt today.

Now to find housing... Sucks that the on-campus housing doesn't allow a cat or even fish. oh well.

Congrats on Penn State. Maybe I will see you there.

hey everybody! it's good to see some new faces in here now! (i was gone in europe for 3 weeks and come back to a bunch of new people in the forum...) welcome everyone (and a what's up to eaglesfan)! i'd also be down for a scribe service but it's fantastic we get notes! looking forward to meeting you all at second look.

jzelones said:
Congrats on Penn State. Maybe I will see you there.

Thanks so much! At least for second look day, I hope!!!

Hi everyone,

I was accepted a few weeks ago. I was really impressed with Penn State. So does anyone know of some apartments in the area that are available. Any websites would be helpful. Hershey is small place... but everyone seemed very friendly. I'll see you later.

so i got my acceptance recently, was wondering what the grading system was like, and if you can get state residency in pennsylvania after the first year? the out of state tuition sucks...

Freakedout said:
so i got my acceptance recently, was wondering what the grading system was like, and if you can get state residency in pennsylvania after the first year? the out of state tuition sucks...

Don't remember the grading system-- something like Honors, Pass, High Pass, Fail. Don't want to start any rumors, though. As for in-state tuition, the only loophole I saw was marrying a PA state resident.

I am a PA state resident taking bids. (I'm a chick). ;)

I am non resident, I ll take you up wis... but you have to post a pic first. :smuggrin:

on same token another thing I am discouraged by is the match list... what are your thoughts about that. As of right now I am not sure what I want to do, but it is aleast comforting to see a fair amount of people match into competitive fields, but psu's match list...is a dud