Penn State Hershey and SUNY Downstate US World News Rank

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CRguy3

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Im asking just based on pure curiosity. My decision to attend a school would never come down to a probably-biased ranking but i am just interested in knowing. Both Downstate and Penn state are unranked, meaning they did not give their info to be ranked. I was just wondering if anyone had a clue as to what their potential rankings would be if they did in fact give their info. Are we talking about top 5o, top 75, top 100? Mid tier, high tier, low tier? Thanks for the time and indulgence.

Members don't see this ad.

Idk anything about Penn State, but Downstate is not a research heavy school. That would negatively affect their rankings which are research dollar heavy. Downstate would be betweenbetween top 75 and top 100 imo. But the clinical education and reputation among program directors is much higher for Downstate than their hypothetical rank would suggest. They typically have a wonderful match list for what they are (this year was kind of the exception) and that speaks for itself.

Reactions: 1 user
The are both mid-tiers. It's hard to quantify it beyond that without having a really biased ranking (Downstate would be high on a ranking that emphasizes quality of clinical education but low on a list emphasizing research. Penn State would be higher than Downstate for research rankings, but lower for one that focuses on GPA and MCAT of accepted students).

They are not top 20 and they are not low-tier. Penn State would have more national recognition amongst the general public, but that doesn't really matter.