Penn State - Hershey housing

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by gre, May 8, 2001.

1. gre

gre Junior Member

Hi!

I had a question about the housing at Penn State. I will be starting medical school there in August, and was wondering what most students did, as far as living on campus or off. What are the advantages / disadvantages? If there are any Penn Staters out there, i would appreciate any insight...

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic!
    Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Attending Physician
    Hi...

I am unaware of whether most Penn State students live in the on-campus housing, although certainly a large number do. The advantages and disadvantages are those of most any other program:

Advantages
    -live close
    -near other students; good for studying, fellowship, etc.
    -if living alone, may be cheaper than own apartment

Disadvantages
    -living close; will you ever leave the campus grounds?
    -near other students; will they keep quiet when you want to study (there are also non-med students there)
    -may not be cheaper, especially if sharing a 2 bedroom apartment with someone

There isn't a lot to choose from in Hershey proper if you want a more upscale apartment complex. There is the new Hershey Heights which is literally 3 minutes down the road; most of the other complexes in town are older without as many amenities. If you choose to live in Hershey, they have the highest occupancy tax of any of the surrounding cities (about $550/year I believe).

I chose a place in Harrisburg, about a 12 minute drive from campus - which might seem like a disadvantage but it has so many other things I like that I found it better for me. I'll probably regret it when I rotate at the VA.

If you are new to the area and don't know anyone, living on campus might be a good way to get started - you can familiarize yourself with the town and surrounding areas, meet your classmates and make friends, and then later decide to get an apartment off campus. Then again, you may love it on campus and decide to stay.

I know this isn't much help - I haven't seen any Penn St med students who live on campus post here - but we can hope can't we? ;)

4. gre

gre Junior Member

Kimberli-

Thanks for your advice...

5. evilbooyaa

Staff Member Moderator

Resident [Any Field]
    This might be a record for a necrobump. 12 years. When WS was still a med student. Wowza.

DeeFonz, I can guarantee that the OP has no desire to rent housing in Hershey at this time. Wow. Just wow.

6. yehhhboiii

yehhhboiii ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Banned Account on Hold

Medical Student
    When WS was still a resident, not med student.

7. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic!
    Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Attending Physician
    Wowza indeed.

Yes, when I was a resident in Hershey.

8. evilbooyaa

Staff Member Moderator

Resident [Any Field]
    Ah, resident. Couldn't tell from my quick reading of the post. Still weird to think about something from 12 years ago.