1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Penn state hold

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Perseverant 1, Dec 8, 2002.

1. Perseverant 1

Perseverant 1 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hi Everyone-

I know i asked this before, but i wondering if anyone has any new info. For the second year in a row, I have been placed on the Penn State "hold for possible interview" list.
    Does anyone have any new insight? Is this part of their drawn out rejection policy?
    Do you think i should write them a letter expressing my interest in their school? For the record, Vermont was my first choice (because of the location)...until i was rejected a few weeks ago. Penn State is a close second choice because they are currently doing research in the 4 neurological disorders that have plagued my family. I am interested in specializing in neurology.
    Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Perseverant 1

7+ Year Member

bump, any thoughts?:confused:

4. sorry but from what i've heard, people on penn state hold dont usually get interviews, so its more of a soft rejection, but i might be wrong. u definitely should write a letter of interest to them, it doesnt hurt and it might help, good luck.

5. chibihamsta

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    i am under the same "hold for possible interview". i called them to ask if they were gonna reconsider me for an interview anytime soon, cuz i have another interview in PA in January, but the admissions office lady on the phone said that the admissions committee reviews all the applicants every month and until they say okay, i can't get an interview. boo. so what im thinking is that these people are only going to look at my file again after they stop getting good applicants. which is like, never. :oops:

6. Perseverant 1

7+ Year Member

Chibihamsta-

Well, i hope they don't screen the rest of the application pool before we are offered an interview....but i think that is exactly what will happen. That's what happened last year!!
    So, what do you think you are gonna do? Are you going to submit additional information (even though the letter states only info currently in file will be reviewed)?
    I'd do just about anything at this point!! Man, i have almost resorted to praying.....and i am agnostic!:(

7. williestyle81

williestyle81 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

prayer is a good thing!!!:)

8. Perseverant 1

7+ Year Member

I am not even going to get into that discussion. Do what ever makes you feel better.;)

9. CRAZYTERP

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    hold for interview blows, i am definitely in this club!

10. Perseverant 1

7+ Year Member

crazyterp (great name by the way)-
    Did you get this letter last year? can i ask you to share your stats? I am really curious, because mine are not good at all. I am trying to figure out why they didn't reject me right off the bat. If you don't want to post em', pm me if feel like sharing.
    This process is killing me. Went through it last year. This year seems to be a repeat performance.

11. eschauberger

eschauberger Some Guy
    7+ Year Member

Well, does anyone know if anyone who has been on this has actually gotten off of it? I just got my letter a day ago. My stats are higher than their average too. :( Maybe my new transcript with this semester's grade on it will help.

12. batman123

batman123 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I was placed on hold last year at Penn State; never removed from the hold category though

13. X

X

I am there in the hold pile with you guys. But this may spark a little hope. Someone at my Drexel interview was placed in this earlier, and did receive an interview (this is for this year). So there may be some hope. Hope that helps.

X
    ps i used hope a lot in that little paragraph, huh. I hope I don't keep doing that.

14. A_Shah

A_Shah Attending MD
    7+ Year Member

I am also currently in the HOLD category. Please someone bring some good news for us!!!

15. Perseverant 1

7+ Year Member

Well, it has been well over one month since my original post. Haven't heard a Peep! I am in the process of writing an "update" letter to submit to the Admissions office.

Can i get everyone's advice here: i have decided to apply for research technician positions at the College of Medicine. I am currently an NJ resident, but was hoping that moving to and working at the college of med might demonstrate how much i would like to attend Penn state.

Has anyone else done this? What do you guys think?

16. holler79

holler79 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I don't know if that will work....I have volunteered doing research for a summer, and have worked in research for 1.5 yrs at my "top" medical school and still I've gotten no love from them yet. I have also gotten 2 LOR's from attending MD's at this school and met with the dean but it still hasn't helped. Maybe you'll have better luck in PA.

17. Perseverant 1

7+ Year Member

Holler..thanks for the encouragement. I don't think being interviewed at Penn State come close to the schools in NYC. they are clearly two different categories! That is why hoping Penn state will take a second look at my application. Good luck in NYC!

Does anyone else have any advice as to whether i should pursue a job at Penn State college of medicine? The 2 postings i am interested in are right up my alley professionally....but 5 hours away geographically!

18. h0peful

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    yea..i've been on hold at Penn State for a while now.
    i have no clue what it means but it sure sucks because unlike the others
    i got a rejection and i felt ****ty but this gives u some hope but then i read the prior posts and hear that a hold is basically a soft rejection
    so i'm basically being put on hold for a rejection?
    now that's not fair at all...

wat to do??
    if hope doesn't help?