SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Penn State Housing

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by Drlove9701, May 28, 2002.

1. Drlove9701

Drlove9701 Member 7+ Year Member

May 23, 2002
    Under the full moon
    I would like some info on off-campus housing in and around Hershey, preferably within a 5-10 min. drive of HMC. Any recommendations would be helpful and if there are some places I should stay away from let me know.

Thanks...

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic! Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

Apr 9, 2000
    hSDN Member
    Hmmm...we had a thread on this going awhile back. Too bad the search function is currently disabled or I'd find the URL for ya.

I think there are *few* areas I would avoid - obviously downtown Harrisburg has some dicey areas but that would be a longer drive than you would care to take anyway. The school should send you a packet with lots of pamphlets on apartment complexes in the area.

Many students live at Briarcrest which is across the street from campus - I find it a little spartan and some of the older units have 60s-era appliances. Not for me.

Hershey Heights is the newest apartment complex in Hershey - about 2 miles down the road from campus. Quite nice but unless you were sharing it would be a bit pricey; they are pretty stringent on their credit checks, income requirements etc, so I'm not sure if a lot of students live there.

There are several apartment complexes in and around Harrisburg. While my mailing address is Harrisburg. I'm only 7 miles from the hospital and it takes about 12 mins to get here. Many residents live in my complex (I'll discuss the name of the complex in a private message if you wish), although it is considered on the pricier end as well.

Ask the medical school if they can provide you with an Apartment Guide. Its a free magazine with lots of ads for local rentals, published monthly. I'm sure it would be a big help.

4. Ultimate_freak

Ultimate_freak Junior Member 7+ Year Member

Nov 7, 2001
    DC
    DrLove,

Here is a link to the class of 2006 web page. It has a list of off-campus housing, and phone numbers, as well as a link to a local newspaper.

<a href="http://www.hmc.psu.edu/md2006/housing.htm" target="_blank">http://www.hmc.psu.edu/md2006/housing.htm</a>