Penn State Housing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Drlove9701

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would like some info on off-campus housing in and around Hershey, preferably within a 5-10 min. drive of HMC. Any recommendations would be helpful and if there are some places I should stay away from let me know.

Thanks...

Members don't see this ad.

Hmmm...we had a thread on this going awhile back. Too bad the search function is currently disabled or I'd find the URL for ya.

I think there are *few* areas I would avoid - obviously downtown Harrisburg has some dicey areas but that would be a longer drive than you would care to take anyway. The school should send you a packet with lots of pamphlets on apartment complexes in the area.

Many students live at Briarcrest which is across the street from campus - I find it a little spartan and some of the older units have 60s-era appliances. Not for me.

Hershey Heights is the newest apartment complex in Hershey - about 2 miles down the road from campus. Quite nice but unless you were sharing it would be a bit pricey; they are pretty stringent on their credit checks, income requirements etc, so I'm not sure if a lot of students live there.

There are several apartment complexes in and around Harrisburg. While my mailing address is Harrisburg. I'm only 7 miles from the hospital and it takes about 12 mins to get here. Many residents live in my complex (I'll discuss the name of the complex in a private message if you wish), although it is considered on the pricier end as well.

Ask the medical school if they can provide you with an Apartment Guide. Its a free magazine with lots of ads for local rentals, published monthly. I'm sure it would be a big help.

DrLove,

Here is a link to the class of 2006 web page. It has a list of off-campus housing, and phone numbers, as well as a link to a local newspaper.

<a href="http://www.hmc.psu.edu/md2006/housing.htm" target="_blank">http://www.hmc.psu.edu/md2006/housing.htm</a>