Penn State MD/PhD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Steve16

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone provide an opinion on the MD/PhD @ Penn State?

Members don't see this ad.

It is a decent program. It has a strong hospital and decent research depending upon your area of interests. For me its biggest drawback is its location. The population of the city is less than 10k. If you are a city buff, I would advise against going to Penn State.

Hershey is pretty dull but a lot of students at Penn State seem to prefer this since it also is quite family friendly. However, you can also do your PhD at University Park which is a much more lively and interesting place.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with the above posters. I thought the research and hospital were strong points but the area was a little too rural (and dull) for me. The program leadership and students were nice as well.

As someone finishing his UG at psu, I can provide any information you might want on the Hershey campus or University Park campus - specifically UP though. This campus is wonderful, and you'll love it. Hershey, however, is very different. PM me if you have any questions or are in the area and might need a tour of the campus.

Thanks for the replies. Every post seems to discuss location, and while I realized location for an MD/PhD is somewhat important, can anyone address the research environment? Overall impressions, any unique areas of research?

Clinical: I think they have good clinical facilities albeit old. They are building new cancer center to be opened in April 2009. The school has tremendous growth potential. To be honest, I think almost all schools are equal when it comes to clinical. Yes...there will be some variation, but LCME does a good job of making sure all the schools are training next generation of physicians adequately. I am not say that you will get the same education if you go Harvard (or any other top 25 schools) vs. Penn State. I, however, am saying that the differences will be minute and non-significant in grand scheme of things.

Research: They have strong research aparatus. Plus one can conduct research at the main campus which as I understand is amazing. I am sure Mafia can provide more info on that.

As clinical setting is almost out of the equation, the thing does come down to research and location. You need to be comfortable with the location if you plan to spend > 8 years. There is also a great upside to this as well: you can live very cheaply in Hershey. One can buy a decent house for less than 150k...which is a steal IMHO (I used to live in Cal and DC...two of the most expensive markets).

Hope this helps.

I got a post-interview hold. Damn it, so close. Do you guys have any idea about chances for acceptance after that?

I applied and am complete there but haven't heard back... I guess that can't be good.