Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Penn State, Ohio State, or Cincy?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by soundbyte, Jan 3, 2009.

1. soundbyte

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I know everyone hear has their opinions on certain schools, and I was wondering what school of the above three would people go to. I understand that each is located in a different setting and everything. But, based on just the school (in terms of education, curriculum, prestige, etc), which of the three would you prefer?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. amph119

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I can't think of a reason why you WOULDN'T choose Ohio State, out of those three, unless maybe you are in state for Penn State?

4. Leejwwc

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I vote for OSU too. I think reputation-wise it is a notch above the other two, but all are good programs.

5. suizyme09

suizyme09 I haz a flavor
    2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    I think Education wise I'd go with Cincy. You have access to some great hospitals and the facilities at the school are much nicer.

6. guestdoc

guestdoc School Again X 2
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    The Ohio State University College Of Medicine, no doubt. For me, anyway. :)

7. zpiff

zpiff Spaceman
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    My pick is OSU but this is based on not having visited the other two schools.

8. Crickter

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Ohio State. Cincinnati, Penn State.

9. 87138

87138 Guest

Medical Student
    OP, if you're deciding between the three, a huge factor is your answer to the question "What is your state of residency?"

10. airplanes

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    What? :confused:
    Don't you mean...which is ranked higher by US News & World Report?

/sarcasm

11. 87138

87138 Guest

Medical Student
    He could go with hottest admissions office.

12. soundbyte

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I'm a PA resident, but that doesnt matter as far as I'm concerned.

13. NTF

NTF PGY-6
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I honestly don't think it makes a huge difference except for your own personal preferences. All three are excellent schools.

But from my own perspective I'd choose either Ohio or Cincy. They're both based in large urban centers with rural settings close by. I don't know Hershey, PA that well or the caliber of the training hospitals at Penn State, but my guess is that they're probably better in Columbus or Cincy.

Just my rather uninformed 2 cents.

14. WashMe

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I think for my benefit you should go penn state all the way. no question.

15. dakker

dakker A work in progress
    5+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    Having interviewed at OSU and Cincy, as well as knowing several people who attend each school, I don't see a big difference between OSU and Cincy. I cannot comment on Penn State as I cancelled my interview. OSU has a higher ranking (~30), much of which was gained in the past 5 years, while Cincy (ranked ~40) has a brand new building and several strong hospitals within walking distance. They both have reasonable real estate prices and are great teaching centers. I would imagine OSU has more research opportunities and other benefits that go with being part of the largest public university in the nation, but not sure how much that matters to you. I honestly think as decision like this is a personal one, regardless of the advice people like us give to you. I also think that you will find the prevailing opinion on these boards to be for OSU, and I'm not sure how much of that is an informed opinion or people just repeating what school is more highly ranked. But go with what you gut tells you. I can't see you going wrong at any of those schools.

16. Track8001254

Track8001254 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    They are all respectable schools. I would say if you are going on rank, OSU all the way. Cost, and location are things to take into consideration. Also to defend hershey, they have an excellent hospital (with a diverse patient base), a great curriculum, and if in state about 10-15k less than private schools. Also cost of living would be a lot less. Its all a personal decision, just wanted to add my 2 cents.

17. WashMe

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    So I was looking back through this thread, and I couldn't help but think it was a little f***ed up that this poster suggested Cincy over OSU despite displaying a glaring OSU c/o 2013 message in his/her signature. lol.

18. Handy388

Removed

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    when I went to my OSU interview, they REALLY stressed at how awesome their rank is.

19. binko

binko At home I want you to call me Dr. Marvin.
    7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Non-Student
    I've heard that Cincy is a nice place to be, in terms of general atmosphere and attitude. On the other hand, I don't know anyone who likes Ohio State. I'm sure there are people who do, but I don't know them. My dad went to med school there, too.

My personal experience with OSU is that it's a huge bureaucratic quagmire staffed by mostly bitter administrative assistants and the classes are taught by professors who resent having to take time away from their brilliant research to condescend to the likes of you.

The tally of faculty/staff I encountered more than once there in one year: 5 friendly and helpful (of those 3 were TAs), 5 neutrally unhelpful, and 5 openly hostile to an appalling extent.

#18 binko, Apr 20, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2009