Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Penn State/Vermont

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Perseverant 1, Nov 10, 2002.

1. Perseverant 1

Perseverant 1 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hello everyone-

I would do just about anything for an interview at Penn State or Vermont. Other then my horrendous MCAT score, my application is pretty solid. I am a non-traditional student who is applying for the 2nd time. I have already sent both schools a letter explaining my interest (and somewhat asking the Ad com to take my life/work experience into consideration).
    So, is there anything else I can do? Any help would be greatly appreciated! thanks.:rolleyes:

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. gipper

gipper Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    i think that you have done all that you can/should do for the moment. unfortunately so much of this process is out of our control.

i think writing the letter was good but wouldn't go any further...the fact is that they are so bogged down with paper right now that hopefully they will get a chance to read your letter!

good luck. i will keep my fingers crossed for you (and me!).

4. I agree with gipper, but have you received any word from either school as to whether or not your application is complete? If not, you should probably wait to hear from Penn State before sending any further correspondence, which typically lets applicants know about 2-3 weeks after they send in the secondary whether they will be interviewed or put on hold (which in many cases is a soft rejection from what I'm told). If you sent in the secondary more than 3 weeks ago and have heard nothing as to whether or not your app is complete, you may want to call PSU, they are very nice. UVM is starting to send out rejections from what I gather on here, so if you don't get one now that may be a good sign. BTW, if you don't mind my asking, what do you mean by "horrendous MCAT score"? For some people a horrendous score is a 29 (which is what I had on my second time taking it and I got in), for others it is <20. If your MCAT score is within a couple points of the average MCAT at PSU (30) and UVM (27.5) then I wouldn't worry too much. Good luck!

5. lola

lola Bovine Member
    7+ Year Member

has anyone received word from university of vermont that their app is complete? i'm still waiting... i tried calling the admissions office and left a message but never heard back.

6. buglady

buglady We need more cowbell
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I called a few weeks ago because I hadn't heard from them since August....they told me my app was complete. But I'm sure email is more efficient.

7. tedstriker

tedstriker wicked retahhded
    10+ Year Member

Actually, they're lightning fast (and not to mention courteous) when you call them. Pick up your phone and call (802) 656-2154 and I think you'll agree!

8. Medical123

Medical123 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I e-mailed Vermont about my application status. They were very quick to respond to me and told me that they were missing one of my letters of recommendation.

9. lola

lola Bovine Member
    7+ Year Member

when i tried calling the other day there was no option to speak to a human. anyway... i've emailed them now. hopefully they will respond soon!

10. Perseverant 1

Perseverant 1 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Katie-

Before i tell you my MCAT score i feel the need to give you the whole picture...that is what i am hoping ad com's will consider.
    My undergrad experience was a disaster. My GPA of a 2.5 was the result of immaturity and the inability to deal with overwhelming problems at home. Not only was i dealing with separation anxiety from leaving my brother for the first time (he is SEVERELY handicapped) but my dad had a stroke on Thanksgiving day the fall semester of my freshman year!
    It took me a quite a while to deal with the whole situation, but it was pretty much academically unrecoverable. So, i enrolled in a masters program (bio) and earned a 3.7 final GPA. During this time i have volunteered with autistic children (total of 7 years!) and worked in both clinical oncology research and now basic oncology research. I have roughly 3 poster presentations, 10 abstracts and 6 journal publicaitons (as co-author) from MAJOR journals. I also served as a speaker at a biannual cancer research seminar.
    I have taken the MCAT numerous times. The low score correlates perfectly to my horrendously low SAT score! Standardized exams are just not my thing.
    So now after taking all i have done to prove my motivation and commitment to becoming a physician I will give you my MCAT score: 23:rolleyes: ugh!

11. lola

lola Bovine Member
    7+ Year Member

aaaaah! so... uvm wrote me back and said my app is currently under review & that i will receive a letter from them shortly. whatever that means :scared:

12. nkow

nkow bouncin' here and there
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I called UVM today as well and they were quite friendly. They told me my file was complete and in review. The lady even told me that I should hear back in 2-3 weeks...we'll see if this holds up or not, but at least she was friendly!

good luck peeps!