Penn State vs Loyola Stritch (Help, I'm very torn!)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

greatjoyousday

Reaction score
Hello and thank you for any advice/input you may have!
A little bit about me: I eventually want to end up doing pediatric oncology (I'm open to this changing, but it has been my goal for years so I'm fairly confident that this is what I will end up doing) and I would love to end up in a competitive pediatric (or Med/Peds) residency either on the west coast or east coast in a city. I envision myself doing academic medicine for a while, so I want substantial oncological research experience during medical school.

After scholarships, both of these schools have similar tuition and CoA so I'm currently not using cost as a determining factor (although if my scholarship packages increase this may change). I'm a very mission based person, and both of these schools align really well with my personal educational mission and also have a seemingly supportive and wonderful community of students and staff that I could easily see myself fitting into. Additionally, both of these schools have gorgeous campuses (Level 1 trauma center, pediatric hospital, cancer center, research buildings) with recently renovated/built buildings so I know I would have great resources (in terms of facilities) at both. They seem pretty much the same in terms of rank in the medical community, but Penn State probably has better name recognition in the country in general. I will list my pros and cons for each school in order of most importance/influence for me.

Penn State

Pros:

+1.5 Pre-clinical years
+Great pediatric oncology research mentors with several established projects I'm really interested in
+Humanities (and systems) based curriculum with essay style exam questions
+Patient Navigation program which pairs you with a patient throughout your first two years
+On-campus housing (helps to build more community within the student body... and helps for when I sleep past my alarm)
+They have a student run free clinic
+Really nice sim lab as well as VR and 3D printing
+They were my first II, first acceptance, and first scholarship, so I feel as if they really believe in me

Cons:
-Location is the middle of PA. Not only will there be less to do socially, but there will be less opportunities to branch out professionally and with ECs
-Their peds and Med/Peds match list is solid, but there aren't many competitive east/west coast programs on it
-Diversity of the student and patient population

Loyola

Pros:

+Location right next to Chicago. This would give me a new city to explore and myriad opportunities socially and professionally to make connections and gain new experiences
+Emphasis on social justice in their curriculum and they are located in a community with lots of opportunities to actually apply those concepts
+Their most recent Match List seems slightly better than Penn State's (although I can't find any previous match lists so I'm unsure if it's an anomaly)
+Better student clubs and seemingly more opportunities for service
+Greater diversity of the students and patients
+That gym!!!!! I love working out and swimming so it is something I would utilize often

Cons:
-No established research mentors or research projects in pediatric oncology (at least none that I could find, but they do have normal oncology)
-2 years pre-clinical
-Internally ranked (although one of the current students said they thought they would be getting rid of this)
-No option to live on campus

Overall I love both schools and I can easily see myself being very happy at both. If Penn State were near a city, it would be the winner because of the research available and the patient navigation program, but its location is a big con. I'm very torn between these two amazing schools, please help!

Members don't see this ad.

It sounds like you're leaning towards Penn State and while the location isn't totally ideal, you'd be able to go to Philly if you wanted and you're going to be studying a lot anyways :)

Reactions: 1 user
It sounds like you're leaning towards Penn State and while the location isn't totally ideal, you'd be able to go to Philly if you wanted and you're going to be studying a lot anyways :)
First of all thank you for the response... I think you’re probably right, I’m just such a city person which makes it tough.
Second of all, THANK YOU for putting so much time into all of your spread sheets! Everything that you’ve put together is seriously impressive and I know lots of current and future pre-meds are beyond appreciative for your efforts and the resources you’ve created. It’s encouraging to see someone dedicate their time for the sole purpose of helping others. You rock, and I wish you nothing but the best internet stranger :)

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Where did you find out Loyola has internal rankings? There is no info about it on msar.
From current students. It’s a ranking system that breaks the class into fifths which translates to a certain word description on your residency letter (ex: this student was excellent/great/good etc.) I can’t remember whether or not the students said they publish the rankings.

Just keep in mind Loyola is still far from Chicago. Would recommend a car if you a really interested in exploring Chicago. Taking public transportation between Chicago and Loyola would eat up a lot of time.

• Dislike
Just keep in mind Loyola is still far from Chicago. Would recommend a car if you a really interested in exploring Chicago. Taking public transportation between Chicago and Loyola would eat up a lot of time.
Yeah I would definitely bring my car with me. And I think I would live in either Oak or Forest Park so that I’m close to the trains which go to the city!

Yup just wanted to clarify! I feel like a lot people get excited about Chicago, but it's a lot farther than what people expect lol

Yup just wanted to clarify! I feel like a lot people get excited about Chicago, but it's a lot farther than what people expect lol
And I really appreciate that! When I went for my interview I stayed an extra night and went into Chicago the next day and I definitely agree that it was farther than I anticipated

I think one consideration is which region you may want to live in after your 4 years. While both schools match all over the country, there may be some very appealing in house residency programs that will be a strong pull as you approach M4 year. If you like what you see you might not have to move far.

FYI Loyola is changing its curriculum to a 18 month curriculum aka 1.5 I saw that in your cons list. ALso the internal ranking is changing big time since step 1 was woth about 50 percent of it. The internal ranking I believe now will only be for 3rd and 4th year.

Also

FYI Loyola is changing its curriculum to a 18 month curriculum aka 1.5 I saw that in your cons list. ALso the internal ranking is changing big time since step 1 was woth about 50 percent of it. The internal ranking I believe now will only be for 3rd and 4th year.

Also
Ah! Talldoctor! I was awaiting your pro-Loyola response :)
Yes I made this post before the "second look" so I wasn't yet aware about the 1.5 pre-clinical years. That definitely makes it a harder choice.
As far as research goes, that link does make it seem like they have peds hem/onc research, I just couldn't find any on the list of research projects for medical students which makes me think they might not have a lot going on. Plus Penn State has 4 diamonds...
Ahhhhhhh I am so very conflicted

I think one consideration is which region you may want to live in after your 4 years. While both schools match all over the country, there may be some very appealing in house residency programs that will be a strong pull as you approach M4 year. If you like what you see you might not have to move far.
That's very fair, but honestly, I do not see myself living near Chicago or central-PA outside of medical school. I suppose I might feel differently in 3 years though so that's another good thing to keep in mind!

Ah! Talldoctor! I was awaiting your pro-Loyola response :)
Yes I made this post before the "second look" so I wasn't yet aware about the 1.5 pre-clinical years. That definitely makes it a harder choice.
As far as research goes, that link does make it seem like they have peds hem/onc research, I just couldn't find any on the list of research projects for medical students which makes me think they might not have a lot going on. Plus Penn State has 4 diamonds...
Ahhhhhhh I am so very conflicted
Hahaha I WAS SUMMONED TO BE BIASED. Honestly if research means that much you maybe penn state is the right fit :)) there’s no denying that research (while it exists at Loyola) is by no means a calling card for Loyola.

• Love
What did you end up deciding? I was also in your position last year deciding between Loyola and Penn State. I was going to offer some advice but I figure you must have made your decision by now!