Penn State vs Robert Wood vs waitlist placement at Cornell

sweetpeamd09

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 10, 2004
Status
Accepted at: Penn State and Robert Wood
Waitlisted at: Cornell

What would you do (w/ regard to the acceptances and also re: the waitlist at Cornell) and why?

Thanks!

naimist

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 20, 2005
Status
Are you a NJ resident? If so, I'd consider RWJ just because of the cheaper tuition, unless Penn STate can give you a financial package that's equivalent, especially since it's so expensive for out of state residents. And then just hang onto the waitlist at Cornell until the absolute last moment. I'm actually on the waitlist at Penn State right now and UB (my state school). I'd be extremely happy at both but if given teh choice I'd choose UB over Penn State. Now if only one of them would accept me... :p

But good luck with Cornell. I hope you get in off the waitlist! :luck:

PublicEnemy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 7, 2004
Visit site
Status
if i were in that position, i would start a thread and base my decision on what others said on an anonymous forum.

OP
S

sweetpeamd09

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 10, 2004
Status
PublicEnemy said:
if i were in that position, i would start a thread and base my decision on what others said on an anonymous forum.
Obviously you are bitter at this point of the admissions cycle for a reason... or maybe it's just your personality (hence your alias)... I am not normally inclined to be aggressive...however, since I am being attacked I guess I can do the same to you. And the reason I posted this is b/c I've spoken with my friends and family... have given this a lot of thought and now would like to hear OPINIONS. I don't base my decision on anyone else's--if you knew me at all you'd know I'm a stubborn ass and I make most of my decisions based on my own logic. But, since you don't know me at all maybe you should just callate la boca (shut your mouth)...

Acherona

10+ Year Member
Nov 21, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
sweetpeamd09 said:
Obviously you are bitter at this point of the admissions cycle for a reason... or maybe it's just your personality (hence your alias)... I am not normally inclined to be aggressive...however, since I am being attacked I guess I can do the same to you. And the reason I posted this is b/c I've spoken with my friends and family... have given this a lot of thought and now would like to hear OPINIONS. I don't base my decision on anyone else's--if you knew me at all you'd know I'm a stubborn ass and I make most of my decisions based on my own logic. But, since you don't know me at all maybe you should just callate la boca (shut your mouth)...
nice

sweatpea, I think penn st and umdnj are about equally good so go to your state school unless you think you'd be unhappy at one location over the other. Meanwhile stay on the cornell waitlist and see what happens.

edit: you asked what *I* would do, and personally I really disliked UMDNJ (mainly piscataway) so I'd probably go to Penn state though I didn't apply there so my opinion isn't that useful.

PublicEnemy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 7, 2004
Visit site
Status
sweetpeamd09 said:
and i fail to see how you know me?

bitter? where is the bitterness in my comment?

get a hold of that edge, its kinda sharp.

personally, i feel that i made a rather funny, yet profoundly astute statement. perhaps you missed the implication of what i was saying: you should make your decision for yourself, no matter what anyone else tells you. you're the one that asked for the opinion. don't be surprised when someone gives you one. i apologize if i over-estimated your need for real info versus a feeling of self-assurance. for some, the latter is apparently important too.

best of luck to you.

of the 2 schools you already have acceptances, decide between those. not because this is some sage advice, but because you have to. and the school you're waitlisted at, determine if you want to go there, show interest, write a LOI. if you get in, great. if not, no big deal.

location, curriculum, reputation, cost. you've considered it all. where do you want to be? (thats a rhetorical question, not an attack laced with bitterness)

this is where i would insert a plug for my state school, umdnj.

OP
S

sweetpeamd09

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 10, 2004
Status
PublicEnemy said:
and i fail to see how you know me?

bitter? where is the bitterness in my comment?

get a hold of that edge, its kinda sharp.

personally, i feel that i made a rather funny, yet profoundly astute statement. perhaps you missed the implication of what i was saying: you should make your decision for yourself, no matter what anyone else tells you. you're the one that asked for the opinion. don't be surprised when someone gives you one. i apologize if i over-estimated your need for real info versus a feeling of self-assurance. for some, the latter is apparently important too.

best of luck to you.

of the 2 schools you already have acceptances, decide between those. not because this is some sage advice, but because you have to. and the school you're waitlisted at, determine if you want to go there, show interest, write a LOI. if you get in, great. if not, no big deal.

location, curriculum, reputation, cost. you've considered it all. where do you want to be? (thats a rhetorical question, not an attack laced with bitterness)

this is where i would insert a plug for my state school, umdnj.
I don't know you at all... but I do know your home state (I live in Morris County) so Robert Wood is my state school. I guess I should have given a wee bit more info. if I was expecting responses that might assist me. I will help you get to know me a bit better now...by telling you that I always listen to 1000 opinions and then do it my way (I'm a stubborn @$$ like that I guess). I like to hear info. and opinions for some reason but I haven't quite figured out just why yet. Thank you for helping me explore that issue. ;)

Here are some of my issues:
Before I start I want to remain on Cornell's waitlist (duh!)

First, I live in NJ. So tuition = 20k (vs Penn State 39k)
So if I go to Penn State it's because I batted my eyes and told them if they want me there they need to offer a comparable tuition - I've seen it done b4 so I don't think it's a total pipedream.

Secondly, everyone from my college that goes to med school goes to Robert Wood. Robert Wood means staying close to home and staying secure---and being only 30 mins. from home. To some that's good, to some that is nicht so gut. I don't want to choose Robert Wood b/c in my deep recesses of sub-consciousness I want to be secure and Robert Wood means secure. Also, 3 of my very close friends are in the med school and one in their Ph.D. program.

The cost of living in Hershey, PA is VERY LOW...apts. are under $500 a month. Comparable apts. in Piscataway are at least $1300.

I know there are a lot of other factors that I'm considering...can't remember them all now of course.

I would love to hear what people have to say re: the actual schools and the areas...thanks!

public enemy ...good luck in a this too :luck: