Penn State vs Wake Forest

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MelnaisLacis

Political Animal
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm stuck on trying to figure out which school is the better option. Both have similar programs, though PS does require research, I'm oos so my tuition will be about the same for both schools, especially because PS in-state tuition is ridiculously high.

-aside- anyone know the rules for gaining residency in Penn if you're a student.

The scores for matriculants are pretty equal between the schools and they both seem to match relatively well.

Does anyone know anything not really talked about that one school may have over the other?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I got into both last year, and I chose Wake. If you want to talk, just PM me. I would be glad to help you with your decision!

Members don't see this ad :)
My damn "state" school accepts too many OOS applicants. :mad: Go to Wake and save a spot for an In Stater. :laugh:

They are both good schools, I don't think you can go wrong. I'd go for the cheaper one.

My damn "state" school accepts too many OOS applicants. :mad: Go to Wake and save a spot for an In Stater. :laugh:

They are both good schools, I don't think you can go wrong. I'd go for the cheaper one.

As a fellow PA resident, I feel your pain about the abundance of OOS people they accept . . . although I don't think OOS and IS people are necessarily competing for the same spots. Chances are if an OOS person was to withdraw after the class was full, his or her spot would be filled with an OOS person from the waitlist. That said, at my interview they said last year there were even FEWER Pennsylvania residents accepted than usual . . .

Well I got waitlisted at Wake, so I say go to PennSt so I can have your seat at Wake!!

But seriously, I didnt apply to PennSt so I dont know anything about it compared to Wake. Good luck in your decision!

So I just got into both this week, my first two acceptances. I really liked Penn State, but the surrounding area is so incredibly dull, I just can't see myself living there. Any further opinions on the two schools?

So I just got into both this week, my first two acceptances. I really liked Penn State, but the surrounding area is so incredibly dull, I just can't see myself living there. Any further opinions on the two schools?

PSU's a great school. Fantastic people and fantastic facilities. Everyone I met there was extremely friendly, and the current med students and residents I've met away from Hershey always seem very friendly.

Like you, my only real issue with the school is the "boring" area. But maybe that's a good thing, to minimize distractions? As far as preclinical, I think that'd be pretty idea actually. Third and 4th years you'll see plenty of interesting cases, but I get the impression maybe not as much "normal" and everyday illnesses. I could be wrong, though.

I interviewed at both. If cost were not a factor, Penn State would have been my number one choice. Friendly students, approachable profs, student-centered, great research opportunities, good curriculum...I loved everything about it. For the most part, I can't really put my finger on it...it just felt like the perfect school for me. I would have gone there over any other school, except that I can go to my state school for a fraction of the price.
That being said, I liked Wake, too. I think both are great choices. They do seem pretty similar in a lot of ways, including cost. Maybe climate is a consideration for you? I must say that I love the Carolina weather...then again we will all be locked in a room studying for ten hours a day for the next four years, so maybe that's a non-factor.

Anybody know where to find the Wake Forest match list? On the website they say its in "the bulletin" but I can't find it in there.