Penn State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mdgator

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
First of all, I REALLY liked Penn State. I'm just curious as to why it gets no SDN love. I understand that Hershey is not for everyone, but Penn State seemed like an amazing program to me. Are there any others out there who were very impressed?

I also really liked Hershey. I'm from a small town, so at first, the size was not an issue for me. There is one thing that bothers me though, and I'm hoping someone familiar with Herhsey can answer it. Hershey is obviously a really small town. My only reservation about going to Penn State is this: it seems like there would be almost no reason for someone my age (23) to be in Hershey, other than to go to the school. In a way, this can be a good thing. (The class, for example, seemed much closer and more tightly knit than all of the other schools I interviewed at.) On the other hand, I know that I will want to have friends OUTSIDE of med school...for many reasons. (For one thing, I think it will help take my mind off school from time to time when I really need to. Dating is another concern. Also, I have always had people my age at the churches I have gone to.) So my question is, are there other young people in Hershey at all? Is this a valid concern for me to have? Any thoughts are appreciated, but especially from anyone familiar with the area or also interested in going to the school.

Members don't see this ad.

Ha, we have a lot in common as far as concerns with potential friends/mates. I really loved PSU when I was there and can't wait for the 2nd look day. I think it doesn't get a lot of love here because 1) it doesn't submit info to US News so they're not "ranked" at all, and 2) it's in Hershey. But it seems like a fantastic school!