Penn State's rank or level of competitiveness

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bluenebula83

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi guys!

i was just wondering, where do you guys think Penn State COM would rank in terms of medical schools (especially since it's unranked by US News & World). for instance, i read a post earlier that was comparing Rosalind Franklin to NYMC and saying they were both comparably the same, numbers-wise. i was also looking at some schools in the MSAR and was comparing the median GPA and MCAT of accepted students with that of Penn State and Penn seems to be doing pretty well. for instance, PSU has a higher median GPA/MCAT than schools such as Brown, Albert Einstein, GWU, etc. (which are great schools as well). i'm also aware almost all medical schools are insanely difficult to begin with and there is no real accurate way of measuring/comparing them.

i'm only asking this so that i, much like others, may better make a decision on which medical school to choose and which school would ultimately help us get into a competitive residency program.

also, for ppl who go to Penn State or are familiar with it does the Medical Student Research Program really help you guys when your applying for a residency? i hear research is helpful for some specialties and not for others...any thoughts?

o and HAPPY NEW YEAR! :D

Members don't see this ad.

bluenebula83 said:
hi guys!

i was just wondering, where do you guys think Penn State COM would rank in terms of medical schools (especially since it's unranked by US News & World). for instance, i read a post earlier that was comparing Rosalind Franklin to NYMC and saying they were both comparably the same, numbers-wise. i was also looking at some schools in the MSAR and was comparing the median GPA and MCAT of accepted students with that of Penn State and Penn seems to be doing pretty well. for instance, PSU has a higher median GPA/MCAT than schools such as Brown, Albert Einstein, GWU, etc. (which are great schools as well). i'm also aware almost all medical schools are insanely difficult to begin with and there is no real accurate way of measuring/comparing them.

i'm only asking this so that i, much like others, may better make a decision on which medical school to choose and which school would ultimately help us get into a competitive residency program.

also, for ppl who go to Penn State or are familiar with it does the Medical Student Research Program really help you guys when your applying for a residency? i hear research is helpful for some specialties and not for others...any thoughts?

o and HAPPY NEW YEAR! :D
As a student at Penn State I can say a thing or two about the program. When I was applying I was hesitant to come to PSUCOM because they did not post the stats to potentially be ranked. I thought they may have been hiding something, perhaps they were....anyway I made the leap of faith and 4 years later I will be graduating and most likely getting my choice pick for residency...and no not at Penn State but at Harvard, Duke, Yale, Stanford. Much of that has to do with my own efforts, as will most students.. Medical school is medical school. We all take the same USMLE's and learn from the same books. Some schools certainly will have better teachers and more research and better location etc. But what it all comes down to is, where do you want to live for the next four years, what kind of environment do you want to be in? Spend alot of time answering these questions because I guarantee that you will be much happier in a so-so average medical school that is located in a desireable location than a top notch one where you just went for the name. If you happen to have the chance to have both then go for it.
Penn State is a pretty good school for teaching the basic science during the first two years. My class only had 1 peson fail the USMLE step 1 however the class prior did have 20 fail!!!!Perhaps our class was just scared smart!!
They are heavy on the Case Based Learning during the first two years especially during year 2. I happened to enjoy this and I believe that it will prepare you to adapt to the cerebral aspect of the floors, only experience will prepare you for actually being on the floors. I found that most of us had thoroughly covered Harrison's which most people will keep re-visiting and each time it gets easier.
After my rant on location being important I'll say that Hershey isn't my cup of tea, but it is safe, has a low cost of living and there are plenty of outdoorsy things to do....but is a far cry from a outdoors paradise. The people are friendly. The class size is about 130 or so, student generally come from PA and surrounding states but as usual there are always plenty from CA, Utah and other states. Students are hit or miss, just got to find your clique.
As far as MSR goes I do think that it will make you an attractive candidate for residency. I did not do my MSR in my field for residency and all the interivewers have inquired about it.
I guess the drive home message is , get your interviews, and then find out what makes you tick:is it research, paricular specialty that the school is great at placing students, location etcc...if all is equal go where you would like to live. Request a Harrison's and Robbin's and study your butt off...but if you pick the right place to live have fun too!!!! And in 4 years you will have your choice of residency if you busted your butt, crushed the boards and still have some personality!!!
peace