1. What do you find most helpful? Give us your feedback on the 2019 SDN Member Survey to help further the SDN mission (and win prizes!)
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Penn versus Davis, opinions anyone?

Discussion in 'Pre-Veterinary' started by uvraysgirl, Feb 18, 2007.

1. uvraysgirl

Pre-Veterinary
    :idea: So I've been stalking these online forums for a few weeks, but this is my first post. I had an interview at Penn on Friday and received my phone call with my acceptance yesterday!!!! (So excited!!!) I'm a California resident, so I have an interview at Davis on the 26th (I broke the Davis/Penn rivalry by getting in to Penn, I know). Davis was my top choice before, but I was really impressed with Penn. The weather isn't great, it's a bit pricey, and the commute to the New Bolton Center might be a pain in the butt, but I really loved the high tech facilities and the faculty and students seemed incredibly nice and come from diverse backgrounds. I am interested in equine, possibly sports medicine, so it seems like Penn has the best equine program and is right smack in prime horse country, so they have a really high caseload.

Anyone have any opinions about the two schools? Comparing their equine programs and also student life (students, faculty, living in Philly, etc..)? I'm worried Davis might be very homogenous since they admit very few out of staters, although I love California. Davis is ranked #1 in the country, would I be an idiot not to go there and save on tuition and enjoy the nice weather? I'm not accepted at Davis yet, but if I'd rather go to Penn, I'd like to pull out now so hopefully they can give someone else my spot. I'd appreciate some advice! Comparing vet schools is just something my non-vet friends can't offer much help on. Thanks and congrats to the other people on Friday who got in!

2. Emio

Emio Fudge Bane
    7+ Year Member

Veterinarian
    i'd say Davis is definitely number #1 in the entire WORLD, so you should go there. and that has nothing to do with me wanting a spot at UPenn. (lol) did i get a chance to talk to you? i was wearing a black suit with a bright pink shirt... and snow boots, lol. btw, congrats on your acceptance :)

i apologize, but i really know nothing about Davis. for me, i'd be silly not to go to Penn if i got accepted, for the same reasons you say for Davis (in state tuition, can stay in my apartment, etc). my main concern about Penn was the atmosphere/competition between students. i had heard bad things about the "PennWe"s, but one of the tour guides straightened me out. he said he thought the exact same thing until he came for his interview, and found the diversity of students really required people to be down to earth to get along, and get along they did. also, i personally think Philly is great. UPenn is down by Olde City and South St, so you get all kinds of cultural experiences (if you ever get your nose out of a book, lol). i couldnt help you out with living expenses as i work for my rent just west of the city, but if you have any other questions, maybe i could help you.

3. seavet

2+ Year Member

uvraysgirl, many congrats!! I completely understand your conundrum between davis and penn. i'm no expert at vet school comparisons, but I don't think you're crazy b/c I feel the same way! I, too, thought Davis was the mecca of all vet schools (I'm interested in wildlife and marine mammal) and even moved to Cali to get residency. But my current boss (who spent 7 years as a tech at penn before going to vet school at tuskegee) encouraged me to consider penn. I toured penn over the holidays and loved it. Now, penn has become my 1st choice--and I HATE cold weather (grew up in maryland). Everyone at penn struck me as being so nice--such a community--whereas davis felt much more cut-throat. Plus, the environment at penn seems so liberal and diverse--but davis is, well, kinda not. Perhaps most importantly, I felt like I "fit in" at Penn, like my learning style matched their teaching style. I think that the foundation you get at either school is going to be top-notch. There's really no wrong answer, but you have to go with your gut. But I'm stressing because I got an interview at davis but still no word from penn (if you have any encouragement...).

4. punkie

Non-Student
    I don't know anything about Davis, CA but can weigh in somewhat on Philadelphia from a community standpoint. I am from the East Coast and have always considered Philly one of my favorite cities. I noticed, however, that friends and colleagues from all points West found the East Coast unfriendly and angry. I moved to the Philly metro area after living in the South for several years and have to say that I see their point. I never noticed before I lived in another part of the country but it seems that the general population here is in a perpetual rush and enjoys complaining as a favorite pasttime (second only to watching sports). All of this is not to say that you won't find a fantastic, supportive bunch of people in your classmates or that you won't fall in love with Philly but if you are from the West Coast, just be prepared for culture shock when you venture out into the community.

5. punkie

Non-Student
    sorry, double post

6. OP
    OP
    uvraysgirl

Pre-Veterinary
    Hi everyone, I talked to several of the other students, but I must admit, I was so nervous and we were all dressed up, so it's hard to remember people. There seemed to be several of us going for the 2/16 interview from the forum. I am Katie and I was wearing black pants with a berry colored sweater with a white shirt underneath it and I had a big heavy black wool coat and sort of beige/gray scarf. I toured with the man at the New Bolton Center. I interviewed with Dr. Harvey and Dr. Beech at about 3 pm. I asked the question about electroejaculation in the breeding shed if that helps jog anyone's memory ;) And didn't we all love the demonstration of chopping up a calf. Emio, where are you from and where did you go to school? I'm from Los Altos, CA and I went to Duke. There seemed to be several people from various NC schools interviewing that day. You haven't heard anything yet? I hope you get in! Everyone seemed so nice in the group.

Although it was really cold there, I was surprised that it wasn't any colder. It seemed about the same temperature as Virginia where I lived for the last year. Living in Philadelphia does sound really fun. I mean, if I want to do horses, I'll probably be living out in the middle of nowhere for the rest of my life, so I might as well try something different for a while. I've never particularly cared for the East Coast mentality (no offense to anyone), but UPenn has so many graduate schools, there must be a lot of young, interesting people and things going on in the area. Does anyone know why Davis is ranked #1 (or was)? Is it research or money or their faculty? It doesn't seem like people have really great things to say about Davis, it's just ridiculously hard to get in. I guess we'll see if I like it next week. Seavet, I guess I'll see you at the workshop/orientation on Sat? Where do you live in CA? Are you SA?

7. Emio

Emio Fudge Bane
    7+ Year Member

Veterinarian
    that's pretty much what i thought! lived in a one room hut in virginia for a year, and i know i'll end up back in the country, so i went siddhartha and decided to try city for undergrad. i'm at saint joe's and hail from just a few hours west, in harrisburg, pa.

you threw me off when you said you toured with the Mr. Dr., but someone in my group asked about electroejac too... and we saw the calf cut in half :eek:. i think i got you pictured... i'm Emily, black suit, bright pink shirt, dark blonde hair, black and gray jacket. congrats, again! i'm not holding my breath for a phone call, but i'll remain naively optimistic that my interviewers absolutely loved me but aren't the type to call until i get that bad bad letter.

i think you nailed it ;). cali is a pretty big state, so they of course can't let in a bunch of out of staters. "low acceptance rate" turns into "prestige" by the end of that 'whisper-down-the-line' game in gradeschool.

8. Bill59

Bill59 Member
    10+ Year Member

Who says they're ranked #1?

UCD is a great vet. school, but IMO ay sort of overall ranking is meaningless.

9. twosoakers

twosoakers Addict & Western U '11
    7+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
  10. twosoakers

twosoakers Addict & Western U '11
    7+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    April 14, 2000

UC Davis vet school left off U.S. News and World Report ranking

Formerly ranked as the No. 1 veterinary school in the nation by U.S. News and World Report in 1997, the UC Davis School of Veterinary Medicine was not ranked at all in the magazine's recently released Best Graduate Schools publication.
    Cornell University School of Veterinary Medicine was ranked first among the nation's 27 veterinary schools, followed by the veterinary schools at Colorado State University and University of Pennsylvania in second and third place, respectively, of a list of 11
    The UC Davis veterinary school was not included in the ranking this year because it was placed on limited accreditation for inadequate facilities in 1998, according to the magazine. The school is in the process of renovating existing facilities and planning for new buildings.
    "It's rather ironic that the U.S. News and World Report rankings are based solely on the quality of curriculum, faculty and graduates-criteria in which we exceed American Veterinary Medical Association standards," said Bennie Osburn, dean of the UC Davis veterinary school. "Our faculty and students continue to teach, learn and provide animal patient care at the highest level, however, we find that our current 50-year-old facilities are not considered adequate for modern biomedical teaching and research."
    "The school's administration and faculty are highly committed to the education of our students-future veterinarians," Osburn added. "But our limited accreditation status has clearly impacted our reputation and ability to successfully compete on the national level."

11. k9 <3er

k9 <3er UC Davis SVM c/o 2011
    2+ Year Member

Other Health Professions Student
    vet school rankings really DO NOT MATTER. all the schools in the us are amazing. when it comes down to choosing which school to go to, base your decision on where you felt most comfortable, who had the nicest people, and where you can live for the next four years. more importantly, think about where you want to practice after you graduate. if you want to practice in pennsylvania, then it would be best to go to u penn since you can network and make connections that will be helpful after graduation.

12. mtrl1

mtrl1 UC Davis Class of 2011
    7+ Year Member

Veterinarian
    Without trying to compare either school, I'd just like to say that rankings are meaningless. Sorry, but they are. The best school is the one that is "right" for you, for any undergraduate, graduate or professional program.

Instead, you should make a priority list for what *you* want out of a vet school. Do you want a school that has a strong research program? Do you want a school that uses PBL vs. traditional classroom learning? Do you want to go to a school that tracks? Do you want a school with a smaller class size?

I can only comment on Davis. Davis is #1 for veterinary research in the country and probably the world. They're doing a huge remodel right now, with one building done, and others almost completed, so soon they will be "ranked". Penn, from what I've heard, has a fabulous equine program...but Davis' isn't too shabby either. You need to visit the schools, talk to students, talk to professors, see the facilities, the teaching hospital, etc. Don't be afraid to ask students and professors about their favorite and least favorite things about the school.

Yes, it's a seller's market, but you have to feel good for these 4 important years of your life.

13. Apollo84

Apollo84 Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Other Health Professions Student
    If I had the choice I would choose Davis over Penn. Not because of who I think is a better school, better research, etc. Both schools are great in many respects and either one would be a wonderful school experience. I find what really matters to me is daily life. Davis vs. Penn is West Coast vs. East Coast and I feel that is a huge difference as far as weather, types of people you will encounter, culture, what people do for fun, weird little stuff like what time football is on tv, what supermarkets are available, what restaurant chains that I like that won't be there, etc. I am from California and I don't think I would like going to school in the East Coast since it would be too much of a change.

14. Cheska

Cheska Monkey Power!
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    In-n-Out Burger!!!!:love:

Sorry, couldn't help myself.... "the dude abides" :D

15. egghead115

2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    I didn't apply to Penn, so I can't really comment on the strength of it's program or location. But I live in Northern CA, and am somewhat familiar with UC Davis and the surrounding area. With respect to the quality of life in Davis...it's great.

Weather: Like most of CA, the weather is pretty mild. Rainy cool winters, HOT/dry summers, and lots of pollen in the spring for those of you with seasonal allergies.

Location: Davis is a very cute and safe college town, located smack dab in the rural Sacramento Valley, that benefits greatly from having a large university as its hub. Nearby marshlands afford good bird and wildlife watching, and Lake Tahoe's mountains are only a 2 hour drive. My brother often takes day snowboarding trips.

Activities/Culture: There is usually a concert, sporting event, or film to attend. Downtown Davis has a few inexpensive and tasty restaurants and even a few bars that seems to attract a lot of undergrads. One really fun day on campus is Picnic Day, essentially Davis' open house. On this day the town's population nearly doubles with students, locals, and families who tour the facilities, watch Dachsunds compete in the Doxie Derby, and enjoy other festivities.

Transportation: The university and surrounding areas are mostly accesible by bike and bus, but you'll definitely need a car to get to Sacramento (20 min) or the San Francisco Bay Area (1-1.5 hours with traffic). Since the entire campus is very flat, biking is a popular and fairly safe way to get around. There are dedicated bike lines on campus, where even pedestrians must yield to cyclists.

Diversity: Not much. The student population is similar to others in the state university system where White and Asian ethnicities squash out the sparse number of Hispanic or African American students. Since it's a state school, most students are from CA. While CA is arguably one of the most culturally diverse states, I found many students were just like me. One of the reasons I am considering heading to the East Coast or Scotland to gain some new life experiences.

16. deadly7

What are your opinions on the pathology programs at either school i.e. courses, professors, success in placing in residency programs after graduating. I am trying to narrow down my choices but pathology is an strong interest I have although it may change with time.

17. deadly7

What are your opinions on the pathology programs at either school i.e. courses, professors, success in placing in residency programs after graduating. I am trying to narrow down my choices but pathology is an strong interest I have although it may change with time.