Penn vs. Brown vs. Longwood

Discussion in 'Psychiatry' started by BobA, Jan 2, 2009.

1. BobA

BobA Member
    10+ Year Member

Since it's the season of ROL's I was wondering how others would compare Penn vs. Brown vs. Longwood (since I'm likely considering these as my top 3).

Feel free to PM me if you'd rather not post here. Thanks!

#1 BobA, Jan 2, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2009
  2. masterofmonkeys

masterofmonkeys Angy Old Man
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    *shrug*

I didn't interview at Penn, but did interview at Brown and Longwood, both are in my top few. I got the vague feeling that Longwood's inpatient might be a little more 'hardcore' (more of your multiple dx, more intractable patients, etc), while Brown might support research a bit more.

City-wise, Boston wins hands down overall. One of the coolest cities in the US, period.

That's about as well as I can do right now. Beyond that, if you have any specific things you were quibbling over, might be a good idea to post them or PM them so I can get a better handle on what you're trying to differentiate them based on.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. dianamd

dianamd Member
    7+ Year Member

Big differences with location obviously... I dunno, I prefer philadelphia to boston, but that's just me.

My impression is that Longwood would provide superior therapy training (in multiple modalities) vs. Penn. Also there are going to be more people, more big shots, everything at Harvard due to the general wealth of big shot things at Harvard - a fantastic set of resources.

I've heard that longwood can get a little intense, but I don't know if the illness severity of the patients is going to be much greater at any of those schools - they are all great hospitals, all will have severely disabled pts. And, Longwood themselves say that they are improving the intensity of the program, which partly revolves around an improved call schedule.

I cannot comment about Brown at all, sorry, except everyone seems to love it!

This may be a question of "personal fit" more than anything.

Good luck!

4. Doc Samson

Doc Samson gamma irradiated
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I'll lead with my usual disclaimer that I'm a Longwood alum, and that you really can't go wrong with any of the 3 programs.

I would agree, though that the Longwood patient population does have a deserved reputation for being "intense" - mostly because the BIDMC ED is the first port of call for many of the severely mentally ill in the city due to a number of factors (not least of which is the proximity to a number of DMH funding housing facilities including the famed "DBT group home"). You'll see psychotic and manic patients wherever you go, but for sheer, unadulterated, gotta step up and be the captain of the ship call experiences - that ED will serve up things you are not likely to see elsewhere. After my PGY-2 nightfloat experience, I really did have an unshakeable confidence that I couldn't be shocked anymore (surprised, sure, but not shocked).

I'll also agree with the above poster that Longwood really does provide great psychotherapy training - primarily psychodynamic, but also with excellent exposure to CBT and DBT.

If you have more focused questions about Longwood, I'd be happy to answer them either here or by PM.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...