Pennsylvania joins other states by expanding role of pharmacists

kwakster928

A Legal Drug Dealer
10+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2004
temple.facebook.com
Status
Pharmacist
pennsylvania pharmacy practice law has been changed in 2002, and it is about to be implemented. now pharmacist can administer injectible medications, biologicals and immunizations, and also be able to make changes to pt's drug therapy upon protocols and agreement with physician in institutional setting. below are link to the legislation itself. feel free to discuss.

http://www.dos.state.pa.us/bpoa/lib/bpoa/20/10/pharmacyact.pdf

DrPharm

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 24, 2004
Status
can we also post this in the Pharmacy Forums? THanks.

DrPharm

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 24, 2004
Status
i personally think this is a GREAT idea and that other states should look to for advice. this is a greatttt start!

WVURxGal

Mountaineer
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 8, 2004
Morgantown, WV
Status
Aaaaah! Injectible medications!

*hides*

I haaaaaate needles. I don't mind getting blood taken, but actually getting a shot makes me nervous. Oh goodness, that reminds me, I'm going to need some immunizations for school... :( They better have a lollipop for me when I'm done :(

But other than that, good for PA! Here's hoping WV will follow suit.

Caverject

15+ Year Member
Aug 19, 2003
DrPharm said:
i personally think this is a GREAT idea and that other states should look to for advice. this is a greatttt start!
Agreed....I am glad that the PA Medical Association didn't block this act.

OP
kwakster928

kwakster928

A Legal Drug Dealer
10+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2004
temple.facebook.com
Status
Pharmacist
As requsted,

and some excerpts,

Here, definition of pharmacy has been changed. the old law stated that practice of pharmacy was dispencing medication order to a consumer, and pharmacists were not even classified as a healthcare professional.

(11) "Practice of pharmacy" means the provision of health care services by a pharmacist, which includes the interpretation, evaluation and implementation of medical orders for the provision of pharmacy services or prescription drug orders; the delivery, dispensing or distribution of prescription drugs; participation in drug and device selection; drug administration; drug regimen review; drug or drug-related research; compounding; proper and safe storage of drugs and devices; managing drug therapy in an institutional setting consistent with the institution's assignment of clinical duties; maintaining proper records; patient counseling; and such acts, services, operations or transactions necessary or incident to the provision of these health care services. The "practice of pharmacy" shall not include the operations of a manufacturer or distributor as defined in "The Controlled Substance, Drug, Device and Cosmetic Act."

Pharmacists under the protocol or the agreement from physicians can now order tests, and change pt's drug regimen. we cannot however initate drug therapy (which i totally agree)

Some interesting point here, pharmacist now require to carry malpractice insurance coverage of 1 million per occurence. i dont know what the usual malpractice insurance cost for dispencing pharmacists, however, i expect that cost to go up for any pharmacist who is in this clinical setting.

(14) "Managing drug therapy" means any of the following processes which shall be performed in an institutional setting only: adjusting a drug regimen; adjusting drug strength, frequency of administration or route; administration of drugs; and ordering laboratory tests and ordering and performing other diagnostic tests necessary in the management of drug therapy, consistent with the testing standards of the institution. Managing drug therapy shall be performed pursuant to a written agreement or protocol as set forth in section 9.1 of this act.

Section 9.1. Drug Therapy Protocols.
(a) A pharmacist shall be permitted to enter into a written agreement or protocol with a licensed physician authorizing the management of drug therapy in an institutional setting.
(b) The licensed physician who is a party to a written agreement or protocol authorizing the management of drug therapy shall be in active practice, and the written agreement or protocol shall be within the scope of the licensed physician's current practice.
(c) Participation in a written agreement or protocol authorizing the management of drug therapy shall be voluntary, and no licensed physician, pharmacist or institution shall be required to participate.
(d) (1) A pharmacist who is a party to a written agreement or protocol authorizing the management of drug therapy shall obtain and maintain, to the satisfaction of the board, professional liability insurance coverage in the minimum amount of one million dollars ($1,000,000) per occurrence or claims made. The professional liability insurance coverage shall remain in effect as long as that pharmacist is a party to a written agreement or protocol authorizing the management of drug therapy. Failure to maintain insurance coverage as required under this subsection shall be actionable under section 5 of this act.

Regarding Injectible Drugs
Section 9.2. Authority to Administer Injectable Medications, Biologicals and Immunizations.
(a) Within eighteen months from the effective date of this section, the board shall by regulation establish education and training standards and practice guidelines pursuant to which pharmacists shall be authorized to administer injectable medications, biologicals and immunizations to persons who are more than eighteen years of age. Such standards and guidelines shall include, but not be limited to, the following:
(1) Satisfactory completion of an academic and practical curriculum approved by the board that includes the current guidelines and recommendations of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in the Public Health Service of the United States Department of Health and Human Services, the American Council on Pharmaceutical Education or a similar health authority or professional body and includes, but is not limited to, disease epidemiology, vaccine characteristics, injection technique, emergency response to adverse events and related topics.
(2) Maintenance of a current cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) certificate acceptable to the board.
(3) That the administration of injectable medications, biologicals and immunizations be in accordance with a definitive set of treatment guidelines established by a physician and approved by the board.
(4) That a minimum of two hours of the thirty-hour requirement for continuing education for license renewal be dedicated to this area of practice.
(b) A pharmacist's authority to administer injectable medications, biologicals and immunizations shall not be delegated to any other person.
(9.2 added June 29, 2002, P.L.673, No.102)

bananaface

Pharmacy Supernerd
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2004
gone to seed
Status
Pharmacist
DrPharm said:
can we also post this in the Pharmacy Forums? THanks.
If the OP wishes, it can be moved. However, most people who read the pharmacy forum also read this one. He may just have been going for the widest audience.

bananaface

Pharmacy Supernerd
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2004
gone to seed
Status
Pharmacist
kwakster928 said:
As requsted....
I merged this with the pharm thread and left a redirect there so that people will be linked into this thread. It is just going to get confusing if we have 2 seperate conversations going on identical topics.

OP
kwakster928

kwakster928

A Legal Drug Dealer
10+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2004
temple.facebook.com
Status
Pharmacist
Caverject said:
Agreed....I am glad that the PA Medical Association didn't block this act.
In fact there were quite an attempt by PMA, PNA (PA nursing association) to block this regislation from passing. PMA supported agianst this legislation for obvious reasons, but i believe we have made good compromise between to professionals. again drug management can be only done by physician referral and agreemnt or protocol that is set by insitution. the other words, if physician don't feel like it they don't have to do a damn thing. PNA also supported against this legislation with an emphasis of they felt that nurses should be the one who should be in charge of drug management therapy not the pharmacists. i dont care anyone says, in general, pharmacist know drugs other than anyone else. P.A. and CRNP, also fought agianst this legislation and suprisingly chain store pharmacy association also were against it. please explain me why chain sore pharmacy association is agianst this.

Dr.bird

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 25, 2005
Status
WVURxGal said:
Aaaaah! Injectible medications!

*hides*

I haaaaaate needles. I don't mind getting blood taken, but actually getting a shot makes me nervous. Oh goodness, that reminds me, I'm going to need some immunizations for school... :( They better have a lollipop for me when I'm done :(

But other than that, good for PA! Here's hoping WV will follow suit.
you should try giving yourself peginterferon-alpha2b it feels like your killing yourself just a little bit once a week for an entire year

2005pharmD

15+ Year Member
Oct 19, 2004
Status
kwakster928 said:
pennsylvania pharmacy practice law has been changed in 2002, and it is about to be implemented. now pharmacist can administer injectible medications, biologicals and immunizations, and also be able to make changes to pt's drug therapy upon protocols and agreement with physician in institutional setting. below are link to the legislation itself. feel free to discuss.

I'd think that the concerns about robots or automatic machines taking Pharmacists' roles will sort of diminish. Wouldn't you say?? A robot/machine can't inject or do any of that stuff :smuggrin: