Pennsylvanian Pre-Med at Pitt's branch campus (chances at in-state schools???)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chances and Advice?

• Yes, you have a good chance.

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No, you have little chance.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Ishy1995

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone!! New to Student Doc, help is appreciated.

I'm going into my senior year at one of the branch campuses of Pitt. I have a 3.5-ish GPA (science gpa is a tad lower). I plan to take my MCAT's midway through my senior year (so yes, I will take one gap year), I plan to finish with around 3.6 GPA (both science and cumulative). I want to know if I get a decent MCAT (I am confident I will since I will study 6 months prior), what are my chances at schools like Temple, Drexel, Penn State, and Pitt (I know, big reach...)? My extracurriculars and research so far are listed below and I plan to add a lot of both of these! Any advice and thoughts on my chances are greatly appreciated.

Also, I wanted to know any OOS friendly schools. I really like Texas A&M but that also seems to be a reach school..

Another question, since I'm taking a gap year when would be the ideal time to apply? I'm asking because I'm a Pakistani (assuming I'm a ORM) I wanted to apply early to have the best chance but I also wanted to have enough time to add a couple of extracurrics to my app. I was thinking of applying in August following my graduation, is that good???

Extracurriculars:

Was a Varsity soccer player my first two years at college (Division II), stopped playing to focus on Medicine
Six Week Leadership in Medicine Program
150+ hours of volunteering at a local hospital
Member of Biology Club: participated in running several blood drives
Member of Phi Eta Sigma National Honor Society
Intern at a Water Cleansing Lab
Only About 10 hours of shadowing (will get ALOT more this summer)

Research:

Research at a Water Lab finding making various Copper media to cleanse water. Extensive research and will hope to do some sort of poster my senior year on it.

Also plan on doing some sort of research with a professor my senior year.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited: