Penrose-St. Francis Colorado Springs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mantroe

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been lurking for a while and finally have a question. Just finishing up 2nd year, so it's a little early, but what does anyone know about the program at Penrose? I've read the review posted under residencies, but am always wary that could just be an advertising blurb.

The Path PD at my school says neither he nor anyone he knows has ever heard of them, so stay away.

Members don't see this ad.

I have heard of it.

I can't imagine a worse beautiful place to live than Colorado Springs. It is a small town of 300,000. The town is incredbily conserative to the point of being fascist due to the overwhelming presence of the military and thousands of "Born Agains". It really is a horrible place in my opinion. In fact Colorado on the whole is not a good place to live. If you look at the state's statisitics it is a predominantly Caucasian state, even the Denver Metro Area. There is no intellectual community there due to the fact that Denver lacks a major University (ala Stanford, University of Chicago, Columbia). There are no major art museums there (ala the Met or Art Institute). The whole city's and state's culture revolves around the Broncos and other sports teams. It really is a pathetic place. Plus they try to maintain this image of being a "cow town". There are these old retired people that greet you in Cowboy outfits at the airport. Give me a break!

If you want to be in a beautiful place then go to Cali. If you want to go to a real city with good path programs then go to Chicago or Boston.

If you want banality then go to Colorado.

Thanks for the social review of Colorado**lol;)

But what about the program? I was personally turned off when I contacted their program and asked for some info and possibility of an elective and was greeted with:

" I am unsure of the educational quality of your school" one liner from the Program Director in his e-mail. He never replied again and I left it at that...

I am not considering them any longer but I am rather curious at their strenghts and weaknesses as a "small" program (aside from their effective marketing strategy on e-mail)

GD

Members don't see this ad :)
Yikes!! Pretty scathing reviews!! Scary to hear about the religious right. I am in the bible belt right now and it's no fun being Jewish here (professors witnessing for christ on class time, etc. and this is a state university!!!!).

Have done the big city thing and have no appetite for heavy traffic. Big constraint is we have horses, so need 5+ acres and a house that is affordable for a resident and nurse spouse. So, here is the wish list - decent sized city with manageable commute. Has to have at least some diversity, both religious and cultural; good restaurants, museums, parks, zoos.

And of course - a good program!! Am looking at AP/CP private practice when I come out. Have good grades, not a FMG, based on MCAT and SHELF scores should do fine on STEP 1 and have owned my own microscope since age 5!!!

So guys ? where is this wondrous place that I am seeking? Open to any and all suggestions.

If I may...

Well, I don't have horses to worry about but the animal closest in size...yes a Great Dane! All that aside, I have lloked at several areas and I can tell you that the "smaller" cities with relatively benign commutes and Path programs that I know of would include:

Scott & White (Temple, TX)
St. Joes (Phoenix, AZ)
UA (Tuscon, AZ)
UVM (Burlington, VT)
Dartmouth (Hanover, NH)
Univ of Utah (Salt Lake City, UT)
OHSU (Portland, Oregon)
and any program in Dakota(s), Montana, Wyoming, Nebraska should do

These are all big cities but when I looked up housing on the outskirts I found affordable (and term is not loosely applied since I grew up in Los Angeles)... For now, focus on Step 1 and worry about this matter in 3rd year. It'll help get your mind off of cores :)

Regards

Duuude...Don't hold anything back, pathstudent. Tell us how you REALLY feel about Colorado. Sheesh.

But seriously, Mantroe. I am planning on doing an externship there this fall. I will let you know what it's like when I find out. I, myself, am considering this program strongly because I have a situation which requires me to move to that particular part of the country.

Cheers,

WF

GD - Thanks for the list! Some of those are on my list, too. STEP 1 is June 6, so I am studying like crazy!

WF - Please let me know about your experience. I contacted them on a very preliminary basis and got a prompt, encouraging reply.

I really appreciate the advice!!

Crepitus-

Just in case you ever decide to go to the Kentucky Derby, don't go to Lexington. The Derby is in Louisville, KY. Just thought I should mention it.

I'm still LOL over the Louisville/Lexingtion thing. One of our 4th years just matched there in Path (the only other one from our program in all four years that wants Path besides me). She is going to keep me posted on that program. I'm in the SE, so know TN and VA pretty well. My other half lived in CA and CO and really wants to go back west. What we really want probably doesn't exist and if we find it there won't be a Path job!!! I will check out all of these places over the next year. Now back to studying for my Path final (which my Prof writes himself - much harder than the SHELF)!!!:eek:

CF: WHERE ARE YOU GOING?

PM me if you must...

Mindy