Pens/pencils, highlighters, multifunctions, etc.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

da8s0859q

Curious as to whether anyone has any favorites with writing goodies.

I'm a huge stickler about pens (love fountains, love some rollerballs, ...) and have seen a few posts here about people with similar attitudes, so I'm kind of curious as to what pens/pencils/highlighters/multifunctions you just have to have, if any.

Members don't see this ad.

i've posted this before, and i'll say it again
CRAYONS
they come 96 to a box and last longer than pens

I like the RSVP Pens and Sharpie highlighters.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sarasa gel retractables. They're a lot like the previously mentioned gel-rollers, but come in a pack of 10 different colors, and have a soft rubber grip! For a color junkie lke me, they're indespensible. LOVE them, can't live w/o them.:)

Pilot G2 .05 gel. Plus I've got big hands, so I actually buy the newer G6. But I can only find those in .07 so...I buy the .05 pens, toss the tube and use the ink in the G6. Compulsive? I think so!

Sharpie Accent liquid highlighters. I like the wet look.

I use the Parker 100 fountain pen for notes b/c my hands cramp when I write too much. I keep a couple of 0.5 mm gel rollers of one brand or another in my lab coat since they're usually the ones to get taken by someone else. And I know it's unheard of for med students but I don't use highlighters. Ever.

I use the Parker 100 fountain pen for notes b/c my hands cramp when I write too much. I keep a couple of 0.5 mm gel rollers of one brand or another in my lab coat since they're usually the ones to get taken by someone else. And I know it's unheard of for med students but I don't use highlighters. Ever.

i don't use highlighters either. i find the bright colors distracting, and i tend to avoid reading the highlighted parts. sounds weird, but that's the way i am. i just box paragraphs/sentences or draw stars beside critical slides.

I use Bic Z4 highlighters and UniBall Vision Elite Pens, nuthin but, I order them by the box from Staples every few months.

UniBall Vision Elite Pens, nuthin but, I order them by the box from Staples every few months.

Those things are little pieces of heaven. Since I've yet to find a fountain pen nib that writes comparatively to the extra fine points on those VEs, that's what I've been going with lately even though I'm always looking for new things to try :thumbup:

I have a Mont Blanc fountain pen with 14k nib. It's worth too much to use anywhere except home but I love the size and feel of this pen. It was my medical school graduation gift from my uncle who was a batallion surgeon in the Korean War.

For my ward work, I use a pen called a "Power Tank". (I order from Office Max) It always writes (bold dark black) and writes at any angle. I use these pens until they go dry and love the look that they give my block printing.

I am also anal about having plenty of fresh, bright yellow highlighters around. I like the Bics for this purpose. I don't actually highlight more than a word here and there (I circle things with the highlighter) but I like having the markers around.

I have a Mont Blanc fountain pen with 14k nib. It's worth too much to use anywhere except home but I love the size and feel of this pen. It was my medical school graduation gift from my uncle who was a batallion surgeon in the Korean War.

Awesome... which MB is it?

Pilot G2 .05 gel. Plus I've got big hands, so I actually buy the newer G6. But I can only find those in .07 so...I buy the .05 pens, toss the tube and use the ink in the G6. Compulsive? I think so!

Sharpie Accent liquid highlighters. I like the wet look.

My G2s have been crapping out on me a lot lately. Plenty of ink left in the tube, but they just stop writing well consistently. I don't know what I've been doing to them, since I've been using them for a while without any problems until recently.

PS: You should be able to find refill cartridges in 0.5 so you don't have to buy the whole pen and waste the case. Should save you some money.

Members don't see this ad :)
Those things are little pieces of heaven. Since I've yet to find a fountain pen nib that writes comparatively to the extra fine points on those VEs, that's what I've been going with lately even though I'm always looking for new things to try :thumbup:

They make a multicolor pack too which is great for the color coded note obsessed people like me :)

Am I the only one who uses a mechanical pencil for everything? I write notes with it in class, take histories with it on ward, use it to underline stuff when I'm studying and to take exams. About the only time I ever use a pen is when I'm writing in a docket. I think I may have committment issues. Ink just feels so permanent.

I use Bic Z4 highlighters and UniBall Vision Elite Pens, nuthin but, I order them by the box from Staples every few months.

Amen to the UniBall Vision pens. For some reason, I like for my pens to be extremely light, so I take the pen top and the plastic cap at the base of the pen off. For highlighters, use papermate Intro (6 colors to a pack), then whatever yellow is on-sale at staples,office depot, etc.

Richard Binder makes custom XXXF and XXXXF nibs for Pelikan pens. For a little bit more money he also has them for Pilot Vanishing Point, which is a retractable fountain pen that is very convenient.

PS: You should be able to find refill cartridges in 0.5 so you don't have to buy the whole pen and waste the case. Should save you some money.

Yeah, not at my local office supply stores. Every once in a while I'll order several highlighters online, and pick up the refills then.

Hi.

Good to know i'm not alone with my secret obsession. I love browsing through statuionary store pen/pencil sections.

Try these and you'll never go back

Pen: Pilot Hi-Tecpoint V5 extra fine
(blue, black) also (green, pink, red, purple, dark blue)

Mechanical Pencil: Staedtler - drafting mars micro .5mm

Coloured pencils: Pilot colour Eno - .7mm (leads in many colours)

esp. the pilot pens....

S-

Am I the only one who uses a mechanical pencil for everything? I write notes with it in class, take histories with it on ward, use it to underline stuff when I'm studying and to take exams. About the only time I ever use a pen is when I'm writing in a docket. I think I may have committment issues. Ink just feels so permanent.

i use the odd combination of mechanical pencil + multiple highlighters. i'm a weirdo.

Black medium pt RSVP ball point pen, use assorted colors as well for underling and such.
Yellow Bic Z4 highlighter
Some sort of retractable pencil.

Glad I'm not the only anal one!

I LOVE HIGHLIGHTERS. They have to be yellow though.

Attachments

• MontBlanc1.jpg
    MontBlanc1.jpg
    2.4 KB · Views: 147
well....before med school I would have laughed at a thread like this and said I hope I never actually have an opinion about something as trivial as this....and now that I'm studying for the boards....I just make fun of myself...

Bic z4 highlighters....hands down the best imo....long lasting brightness and don't bleed through the paper as much as others

Tombow reporter 3 multicolor/retractable pens....don't look as dorky as the bic retractables

I actually use an old school quill pen and only write on papyrus. I feel it gives my work a unique feel.

In all seriousness I'm all about the Mirado Classic old school style wooden pencils (you remember, the sort you sharpen yourself). I can't use mechanicals, I press too hard and break the lead.

For pens I love the uniball vision elite.

I hate highlighters, don't use them (and laugh at the people who highlight every word in their notes and text . . . hilarious).