Quantcast

Pensacola question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

csnitchl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone who has done flight or knows the area have any input on good places to live in/around Pensacola? I don't know the area at all and I understand living situation can be tricky with splitting the time between the two bases. Appreciate any input, thanks.

orbitsurgMD

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone who has done flight or knows the area have any input on good places to live in/around Pensacola? I don't know the area at all and I understand living situation can be tricky with splitting the time between the two bases. Appreciate any input, thanks.

Perdido Key is nice but not close to the trainer flightline--45-60 min each way. Pensacola Beach is nice also, and closer. Away from the water is cheaper, but one of the nice things about the Gulf Coast is the Gulf.

I lived on Perdido Key. at the time, it was nice and I didn't mind the drive so much.

backrow

60% of the time it works everytime
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Live on the beach if you can. Sure it costs $1 to get on, but you will actually have time to enjoy it during school. If choosing otherwise either live somewhere closer to NAS Pensacola. You spend more time there and the drive out to whiting really isn't that bad. Your days at Whiting are much more sporadic and varying hours.

krwhite

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
My boyfriend is in flight school there now. So far he's lived on Perdido Key and on the outskirts of downtown Pensacola, right off Pace Ave. He says the drive to NASP is about the same from both places. He likes living downtown bc it's closer to things you might want to do in P-cola, which you will have time for. The downside to that is going to be the neighborhoods… They're not as nice as what you'll find in Perdido. They did just build a new minor league baseball stadium in the city, and we can get to it in 5 minutes from his downtown house. I'd say from a visitor's standpoint, Perdido might be superior. The beaches are right outside your door instead of a 15-30 minute drive over the bridge, depending on the traffic… It definitely feels more like a vacation there, complete with sand!

csnitchl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. Second question - what are the best pick up lines to use on hot Alabama girls during spring break? (Halfway joking)

krwhite

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. Second question - what are the best pick up lines to use on hot Alabama girls during spring break? (Halfway joking)

Bahaha. Well, having gone to school in Alabama, I would start with, "I'm not from here..." After that, if you could throw in a reference to Nashville or any musical artist that may have been in Nashville at some point in their career, you'd be doing just fine.

And for the record, "I'm in the military" will get you WAY FARTHER than "I'm a doctor." Trust me. ;)

ravager135

Reaction score
I lived in Perdido Key and enjoyed it as much as Pensacola can be enjoyed. I think Florida is colorful lawless swamp so I am already biased. That said, all flight surgeon fixed wing training is now done at VT-10 at NAS so you will only be traveling to Whiting Field for rotatary training for a few weeks to get helo's done. Living in Perdido Key is then a wise choice.

xUSMCx

Reaction score
I am a USMC 2nd Lt in flight school and actually just moved from NAS P'cola to NAS-CCAD (Mexico) Corpus Christi a few months ago.

Keep in mind there are really two airfields that are about 30 minutes apart. Governors Gate is a nice place somewhat in the middle. They'll try to screw you when you leave though. If you're going to be on NASP "proper" (where API is) then I'd look into base housing. It's about 1000 ft from the API building and you don't have to deal with the wannabe thugs out in town.