people entering med school in 2005

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spartydoc

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey just wanted to get to know anyone who is going to be entering med school in 3 years
add your names below
i am
Paul from Michigan State

Members don't see this ad.

I will be applying next year, so hopefull I will be entering med school in 2005:D

Nice to meet you, great idea!

wow only two people are going to medical school 3 years from now....no bother taking the mcat's im a lock!!!!!!!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I will be(I hope). may take a year off though.

Me too! (In theory...)
We 2005ers rule. Personally, my current dream school is Emory/Vandy...you guys have a preference?

I'd like to go to upstate as it's closest and my husband won't have to give up his medical practice for me.

hmmm for a dream school i would have to say northwestern....even if they do lose to my spartans all the time in basketball

dream schools would have to be jhu, duke, ucsf, or baylor.
but whatever med school accepts me will then become my dream school.

My dream school is Case :love:

How are you guys all doing this summer? Studying for MCAT's yet? or chillin? Anyone applying MSTP?

I'm applying next summer.
Dream school: Baylor, UMich, Mayo, Case, basically anywhere.

Isn't applying next summer for fall 2004? That's what I'm doing.

My dream school: Yale.

-bonnie

I'm entering medical school in 2005.

Originally posted by Jalby
I'm entering medical school in 2005.

:confused: :confused: :confused: I thought you were going to a CA school this fall? Or did you defer? But wait, you can't defer all the way to 2005.

ok, I see you're being sarcastic.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am entering school in 2005. Every day I will walk into USC medical school to go to class/rotations.

Yay class of '09! I just wish it wasn't so far away....

I'm hoping to go to Mayo, but the chances of that happening aren't that great. :rolleyes:

Nice to meet all of you!

2005 seems so far away, but I guess it will fly by just like high school flew by and just like the first year of college flew by.

I will gladly accept any accpetances I get, but I guess I still have some top choices.

My dream school would probably be University of Chicago-Pritzker, Mt. Sinai, or Harvard.

Can I have three dream schools?

Yup. i am a sophomore in college right now and will enter medical (God willing) the fall i graduate, which is 2005.

Originally posted by Hallm_7

I will gladly accept any accpetances I get, but I guess I still have some top choices.

Can I have three dream schools?

EXACTLY. i will accepted all of the acceptances i get, but i do have my dream schools that i REALLY want to go to:
ucla, NYU, cornell and columbia, but ucla is no. 1 choice!

OF COURSE you can 3 dream schools. look at me i have 4. there is no limit, honey.:)

Cool guys, for a moment. I thought that there was like only 2 of us applying next year. Good.
It's actually not that far off. This time next year we will be applying! oohhh
Good luck to everyoe and keep in touch:clap:

yes i think some people in this thread are getting confused....we are going to be entering medical school in the fall of 2005...so we have three years of college left.....but hey anyways what colleges does everyone go to?????

What? I'm confused now. So, I you enter med school in 2005, doesn't that mean that you have to apply a year before that. Unless you plan on applying and then going. I don't get it. Someone explain. Ok, this year is 2002, then 2003, ok...lol..I got it now.
opps, damm..Well I guess this is not the room for me.:laugh:

anyone got any good ideas for what to do while we wait an eternity to get into medical school....i mean for us 2005'ers it seems that we are going to be in undergrad for a long long time........
oh and good luck to all those entering orgo in the fall

to all premeds who will be entering med school in fall 2005, c/o 2009 (now thats a long time away)!
im pedram and i go to emory. im prolly majoring in international studies.
so this summer is really boring but it was somewhat productive. got 3 classes out of the way for gen. ed. requirements. im also working in dr.'s office, just seeing how the whole office scene works.
what is everyone else doing for summer? where all do you guys go to school and what you majoring in?
hopefully we can all stick together and make into our dream med schools.

Originally posted by Jalby
I am entering school in 2005. Every day I will walk into USC medical school to go to class/rotations.
:confused:

Originally posted by spartydoc
yes i think some people in this thread are getting confused....we are going to be entering medical school in the fall of 2005...so we have three years of college left.....but hey anyways what colleges does everyone go to?????
Gotcha, oh I see ...DOH...:D

lol...such confusion....

Anyway, I'm at Virginia Commonwealth right now, doing the ba/MD thing...but I don't know about going to VCU/MCV...so yea, Vandy, Emory, Hopkins, Penn, and Harvard are my dream schools, I suppose...more realistically, VCU/MCV and UVa...:p
I'm scared about ORGO! ack! I also have quant. analysis this fall...so ack...hopefully they won't be as bad as calc-based physics and molecular cell bio were last year:(
Where is everyone else from?
Any VA-ers! :clap:

Really??? Who's confused???

anyone got any good ideas for what to do while we wait an eternity to get into medical school....i mean for us 2005'ers it seems that we are going to be in undergrad for a long long time........
oh and good luck to all those entering orgo in the fall

I'm gonna make sure I enjoy college to the fullest, but at the same time keep my grades up.

One of the specific things I hope to do is get into some a SURF/SURP/URE this coming summer. By hope is that I'll get into Mt. Sinia, NYU, Rockefeller, or any of the others in NYC. I would love to spend a summer in New York and this is as good a way as any.

It seems like everyone is pretty worried about Orgo this year. So we may be spending all our time in the library studying for it.

You can add me to the list. ***SIGH*** But I'm not in college. Doesn't matter either way, 2005 is going to be here in no time and I have until that point to get all my post bac together. Anyway hope to see you guys soon class of 2009!!!!!

wow only two people are going to medical school 3 years from now....no bother taking the mcat's im a lock!!!!!!!!!!!!
That is really funny..I wish.
I guess I am on the list too!!!! Does it make you pause and wonder tho about all of this? 2005 seems so far away!!!!:(
Just more time to prepare some really good apps. I will be a sophmore in the fall unless I take some time off, that is. What do you guys think of adv. placement exams ie CLEP??

I took some AP tests, but unfortunately they didn't get any med school prereqs out of the way, since the credit was for German, psych, and English, and I understand that a lot of schools don't accept AP credit for the English requirement. :mad:

Orgo scares me, too, and I hear my school has a tough professor--just great! That, cell bio, calculus, and an upper-level history class (and maybe choir too) will make for an *interesting* semester....

Just out of curiosity, what kinds of clinical experiences have you had?

Count me in! I am also hoping to get into medical school in the fall of 2004. :) I will apply at Mercer and MCG among some other schools.

Originally posted by Some random girl
I took some AP tests, but unfortunately they didn't get any med school prereqs out of the way, since the credit was for German, psych, and English, and I understand that a lot of schools don't accept AP credit for the English requirement. :mad:

Orgo scares me, too, and I hear my school has a tough professor--just great! That, cell bio, calculus, and an upper-level history class (and maybe choir too) will make for an *interesting* semester....

Just out of curiosity, what kinds of clinical experiences have you had?
Actually I have not had any yet, but will have some this year and possibly next summer as well.`I guess I do not have the "standard" clinicals that you are referring to but I will soon. I was thinking of using CLEP to test out of Chem,Bio. and College Algebra. I am not sure how I managed to skip Algebra. I am suppose to be taking Calculus,but that Alg was missed somehow:mad: :mad: Oh well, it's all for a good cause:) So do you think CLEP is a bad idea???

I did a surf this summer at UMass Med. Let me know/PM me if you want more info....

Oh yea, clinical...done mentorships in radiology and int. med, and hospital work...about 250 hours so far.....:( Much, much more to go....

Originally posted by 2badr
So do you think CLEP is a bad idea???

No, not at all! If the schools you want to go to accept it, go for it, and best of luck!

Gold&black--250 hours?!?! That's a ton more than I have (which isn't too hard, since I have almost none), and probably more than most other sophomores too--awesome! Why "much more to go?"

haha, yea, 250. Just the more the better, eh? we hav 120 hour a year requirements for our BA/MD program anyway, so I gotta keep it up...:rolleyes:

BTW, most school accept clep, but be sure to take higher bios, chems than just the clep

hey,
i am gonna start my soph year at university of the pacific a private school in stockton, ca ( it is near sacramento).

check it out here . it is gorgeous!

anyway, i had the worst g chem teacher in teh worlkd so i had to take g chem part 1 over again and got a lamo c, but before had an F :eek: now taking g chem part 2, will take lecture again, but not lab, b/c passed lab, but will eventuallty get a d in lecture or hopefully a c- and with my lab grade, it will bring it up to a c.

oh yea i have a lab practical tomorrow for chem and a final. aarrrggh i hate chem.

i am in alpha chi sigma. yaaay. i love the people in there. they are soo sweet. it is a professional frat.

uuhhh..i wanna be a ct or g. surgeon.

On the apps are we asked how much time we have spent in a clinical setting? Or are we asked how many hours we've volunteered? I haven't volunteered any at all, but I have followed a urologist around for about 10hrs total and a general surgeon for about 20hrs (including a day that lasted about 13 hours in the hospital). And I'm planning on following them around some more in the coming weeks. So does this time count as volunteer time? Or do I need to find a place where I can volunteer?

Do adcoms wanna see that you've done menial work for the hospital or would they rather see you spend your time following a doc around?

Hey i just had a though to all us 2005'ers out there taking organic chemistry.....what a great way to get some help from pre-meds all across the country then to help each other out with our orgo questions.......
haha lets not be competitive until our senior year...
let me know what you think

Sounds good to me.

Hey guys do not believe all the hype about Organic Chemistry, it is not that hard just a lot of work. Rememer that sometimes the folks that complain about Organic are the ones that for whatever reason did not do too well due to lack of prep, too many classes, to many ec's and not enough time, etc (this does not include those folks that worked their tail off and did poorly due to the professor or different learning style, etc.) If you ask folks that did well in the class you will find that most of us really enjoyed it. Good luck!

what did everyone do this summer to *keep in shape* for medical school?

I will be taking upper level courses in chem and bio. I just seem to be a little behind you guys and i am playing catch up.Sooo I thought clep would be a good idea. I will not take it for my upper division courses.
Thanks Guys !!!!

Hey i just had a though to all us 2005'ers out there taking organic chemistry.....what a great way to get some help from pre-meds all across the country then to help each other out with our orgo questions.......
haha lets not be competitive until our senior year...
let me know what you think
Hmm I think I like the idea of xtra help.:)

Gold&Black2005,

When you spent 250 hours in the hosptial or in the office, were you just observing or were you actually doing work?

Hey Hallm,

Sorry I haven't been answering PMs -- I've been away for a few days, but I'll get on it :) What I do in the hospital was kinda interesting. It was officially titled as a "Hospital Courier," but essentially I worked as a tech in all departments, and as a pharmacy tech and a phlebotomist in the lab. In the patient units, I took vitals, shadowed nurses and doctors, and administered medications and stuff (always under supervision, of course). I learned quite a bit about the different areas of a hospital, and subsequently have a better idea of specialties that I'd like to do (nephrology, psych, cardiology, surgery, and peds) and stuff that I wouldn't like to do (urology). It wa a pretty valuable experience, I think...

I also did that SURF thing, so so far I have about ~500 hours or so. Not like it'll help:rolleyes: :pity: :pity:

by the by, we should def. start an orgo support board. with that and quant. analysis, I'm freakin out for next semester :eek:

Anyway, I'm looking for any VA/MD/DC kids...but regardles...go 2005!

im hoping to be in 2005-2006.. depending on my gpa and courseload and mcat scores of course