People on SDN meeting?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

defrunner

I'm Greased Up
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just out of curiousity, since people apparently get familiar with one another over the course of the application cycle throughout the year, I was just wondering how often, if ever, people met each other in person through SDN after finding out where they matriculated or even at the interview itself?

Not that any of you would be axe-wielding murderers or something, but I can imagine it would be a pretty surreal experience.

Members don't see this ad.

defrunner said:
Just out of curiousity, since people apparently get familiar with one another over the course of the application cycle throughout the year, I was just wondering how often, if ever, people met each other in person through SDN after finding out where they matriculated or even at the interview itself? Not that any of you would be axe-wielding murderers or something, but I can imagine it would be a pretty surreal experience.

I think it would be pretty lowkey... much like finding out someone is from, say, Iowa. "Oh, that's cool."

That being said, I think it's fantastic that people use SDN to find roommates and meet other M1's before school starts.

i remember at one of my interviews a couple of students were like - have you heard of the student doctor network, and they started chatting about it. i pretended i didn't know what it was because i was ashamed. not anymore.

Members don't see this ad :)
I intend to wink at everyone. Those that read this post will know it's me and know why I'm winking (which would be to reveal my identity as an SDNer), and everyone else will be either weirded out or intrigued by me. It's worth it, really.

Oculus Sinistra said:
I think it would be pretty lowkey... much like finding out someone is from, say, Iowa. "Oh, that's cool."

That being said, I think it's fantastic that people use SDN to find roommates and meet other M1's before school starts.

Exactly. The class starts to form and take shape... :D

Looque said:
I intend to wink at everyone. Those that read this post will know it's me and know why I'm winking (which would be to reveal my identity as an SDNer), and everyone else will be either weirded out or intrigued by me. It's worth it, really.

If you wink at Joan or Erina they might try to MAKE OUT with you. Heck, I might try to make out with you. J/K. Maybe some of the guys would think you were hitting on them. I'm just sayin'.

jackieMD2007 said:
If you wink at Joan or Erina they might try to MAKE OUT with you. Heck, I might try to make out with you. J/K. Maybe some of the guys would think you were hitting on them. I'm just sayin'.

You've yet to contribute to my "Alright, now what?" thread, and this saddens me. Perhaps you aren't familiar with any areas playing host to a med school, though, in which case I will forgive you.

I haven't met anyone from SDN yet, but I want to go to the SDN convention in Chicago and I'll probably know some of my medical school classmates from SDN.

Stay far far away form jackie future dr. looque. Check out the high school n00b thread for her sleepover horror story and the volunteer thread for a pic of your competition from an EMT she thinks is cute. Beware, you could end up her second cabana boy.... ;)

All joking aside though, you definitely have this fellow Missourian's respect for posting your pic on here. I definitely hope I stumble across SDNers as helpful as yourself during the interview season. :thumbup:

DoctorPardi said:
I haven't met anyone from SDN yet, but I want to go to the SDN convention in Chicago and I'll probably know some of my medical school classmates from SDN.

There is no convention. :(

Dr Durden said:
Stay far far away form jackie future dr. looque. Check out the high school n00b thread for her sleepover horror story and the volunteer thread for a pic of your competition from an EMT she thinks is cute. Beware, you could end up her second cabana boy.... ;)

All joking aside though, you definitely have this fellow Missourian's respect for posting your pic on here. I definitely hope I stumble across SDNers as helpful as yourself during the interview season. :thumbup:

Trust me, one cabana boy is plenty. :D And you know what? I'm not ashamed of that college story OR of thinking that EMT is cute. I know I am not the only one (by far) on both counts. :thumbup:

Dr Durden said:

Perhaps it's naivete, but I've never really been too concerned about internet anonymity (especially in a forum such as this). Nevertheless, I'm sure you'll meet people far more interesting and helpful than me during the interview season (but here's to ol' Missouri, anyway!).

...this is the second time when I've really wished that they had a frothy beer mug emoticon here.

Members don't see this ad :)
Looque said:

I think a lot of people will recognize you from your avatar. ;)

iceman77_7 said:

I doubt it, but it's conceivable.

iceman77_7 said:

Looque, if your @ss gets grabbed by a hot brunette you winked at, you'll know that you just received your Rx from Jackie, MD.

...Zing!

jackieMD2007 said:
Trust me, one cabana boy is plenty. :D And you know what? I'm not ashamed of that college story OR of thinking that EMT is cute. I know I am not the only one (by far) on both counts. :thumbup:

You should link that thread. With Dr. Durden, you've piqued my curiosity.

jackieMD2007 said:
Looque, if your @ss gets grabbed by a hot brunette you winked at, you'll know that you just received your Rx from Jackie, MD.

...Zing!

The admissions committee would love seeing how quickly their future class is coming together!

Looque said:
You should link that thread. With Dr. Durden, you've piqued my curiosity.

What's funny is it is a common thing and none of it is going to shock you. They are just calling me out on stuff. :laugh:

It is the highschool noob thread, posts #26 and #27. :thumbup:

jackieMD2007 said:
What's funny is it is a common thing and none of it is going to shock you. They are just calling me out on stuff. :laugh:

Her advice to a high school student contemplating the pre-med route a bit too seriously.

Jackie rocks though. Just take her ass pinching as a badge of honor.

jackieMD2007 said:

Huh, you're right, it really isn't anything crazy. In fact, you gave the very good, solid advice of leaving high school romances behind.

As an aside, Dr Durden: I think Durden as a doctor would definitely be a psychiatrist. Is that your aim?

Looque said:
Huh, you're right, it really isn't anything crazy. In fact, you gave the very good, solid advice of leaving high school romances behind.

Well, sometimes an example helps. I didn't know I was going to get attention from guys like that at college. I was so shy (gasp!) then. I started college at 17 and totally just needed to let whatever was going to happen, happen.

EDIT: And there were GUYS involved in this. I wasn't making out on the beach by myself, so you can't act like I was the only one being "bad" here.

Dr Durden said:
Her advice to a high school student contemplating the pre-med route a bit too seriously.

Jackie rocks though. Just take her ass pinching as a badge of honor.

Durden, you gonna get back to me or what? Back that azz up already. :D

jackieMD2007 said:
Well, sometimes an example helps. I didn't know I was going to get attention from guys like that at college. I was so shy (gasp!) then. I started college at 17 and totally just needed to let whatever was going to happen, happen.

I had mostly gotten over it by the time I went to college, but I used to be deathly shy. Picture an astonishingly shy kindergartener with stage fright to match, who thought that he was still a decently smart kid and was proud of that. Then, imagine that kindergartener on stage as the Scarecrow in the Wizard of Oz whispering (on account of his shyness and shame) his biggest line, "I need a brain."

jackieMD2007 said:
EDIT: And there were GUYS involved in this. I wasn't making out on the beach by myself, so you can't act like I was the only one being "bad" here.

Well, I wasn't arguing that you were being "bad" at all. If you made a mistake, it wasn't in what you did that night, but in not ditching the high school sweetheart before you left for college. That's always easy in retrospect, though.

Looque said:
Well, I wasn't arguing that you were being "bad" at all. If you made a mistake, it wasn't in what you did that night, but in not ditching the high school sweetheart before you left for college. That's always easy in retrospect, though.

Exactly. My point exactly.

I know you weren't, but some around here have been drinking the haterade. With a triple shot of bitterness.

jackieMD2007 said:

I know you weren't, but some around here have been drinking the haterade. With a triple shot of bitterness.

That is one of the funniest lines I've ever read, and even better that Annastasis over heard it at Starbucks lol.

jackieMD2007 said:

Might be true ;) I'll keep a lookout for any hot guys winking at me! I'll be the cute redhead you'll be staring at Looque. :love:

Unfortunately Jackie I only have mdapps, which as we all know doesn't have picture capability. I will however work on "backin that azz up already." In the meantime though, I'll concede to looque and your current cabana boy's "hotness."

I also in no way, shape, manner, or form have been downing the haterade. I have nothing but R for Respect for jackieMD.

And for the record psychiatrist is about dead last on my specialities of interests. I chose the name more for the fact that thanks to an SDN addiction brought about by the score countdown, I now have an alter-ego.

joanofarc0907 said:
Might be true ;) I'll keep a lookout for any hot guys winking at me! I'll be the cute redhead you'll be staring at Looque. :love:

lol Well that's good, then. I will now feel justified in and comfortable with staring at cute redheads during interview days.

Looque said:
lol Well that's good, then. I will now feel justified in and comfortable with staring at cute redheads during interview days.

Oh man...I wish you had sent in your damn Pitt secondary earlier...could have been a fun time goin' out in Pittsburgh haha

joanofarc0907 said:
Oh man...I wish you had sent in your damn Pitt secondary earlier...could have been a fun time goin' out in Pittsburgh haha

And if some knowledgeable individuals post information for Pittsburgh in my on-going thread, we'd know exactly where to go! Actually, I remember having an incredible steak dinner last time I was in the 'Burgh at some place called Pittsburgh Rare.

Looque said:
And if some knowledgeable individuals post information for Pittsburgh in my on-going thread, we'd know exactly where to go! Actually, I remember having an incredible steak dinner last time I was in the 'Burgh at some place called Pittsburgh Rare.

Very true...I'm not so worried since I'll probably just let my brother take me where-ever. Someone mentioned East Carsons (i think) street in another post for some good bars.

CptCrunch said:
Off topic, but I think I've spent a good five minutes staring at Pardi's avatar.

I too commited that crime at one point in time. You make that yourself, Pardi?

...a song called "Snakes on a Plane (Bring It)" by Cobra Starship just came onto my Launchcast. Any song that begins with a soundbyte of Samuel L. Jackson screaming about all the motherf'ing snakes on the motherf'ing plane is bound to grab my attention.

OwnageMobile said:
I too commited that crime at one point in time. You make that yourself, Pardi?

No I wish I could say that I did. It was made for me by a member of somethingawful.com, for which I am also a member of.

DoctorPardi said:
No I wish I could say that I did. It was made for me by a member of somethingawful.com, for which I am also a member of.

You'll be glad to know that those two are moving perfectly in sync with the song currently playing on my radio.

good times good times

as06 said:
You'll be glad to know that those two are moving perfectly in sync with the song currently playing on my radio.

good times good times

I have enough trouble telling if they're really moving in sync with each other...

hey if anyone is interviewing in SF and wants to hang out .. msg me :) i'll totally hang out if i have time or tell you where you can go if you're bored! :) i'll probably also bring company! :D

Looque said:
I have enough trouble telling if they're really moving in sync with each other...

alright, so I might have been paying more attention to the right side.

Looque said:
...a song called "Snakes on a Plane (Bring It)" by Cobra Starship just came onto my Launchcast. Any song that begins with a soundbyte of Samuel L. Jackson screaming about all the motherf'ing snakes on the motherf'ing plane is bound to grab my attention.
(off topic, but I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing in this thread)...
Fueled by Ramen! I'm a big fan of the new Gym Class Heroes.

floridakppr said:
(off topic, but I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing in this thread)...
Fueled by Ramen! I'm a big fan of the new Gym Class Heroes.

Fueled by Ramen is in general a pretty sweet label

I've helped a "few" ladies find their bad side over the course of undergrad. Good times!

jackieMD2007 said:

:laugh:

and Looque, if you wink at me, be prepared.

What? The boy is no Vin but he's still a cutie. Don't worry Dr. D, you're still my MCAT twin and you'll get a wink for good measure.

MirrorTodd said:
What the heck? Looque's taken all the action. I might have to wear a banana hammock on the outside a la The Todd.

It's all my fault. I called out the hotness. :thumbup:

defrunner said:
Just out of curiousity, since people apparently get familiar with one another over the course of the application cycle throughout the year, I was just wondering how often, if ever, people met each other in person through SDN after finding out where they matriculated or even at the interview itself?

Not that any of you would be axe-wielding murderers or something, but I can imagine it would be a pretty surreal experience.
It's very common. I met several SDNers at interviews and I know of several who are starting M1 with me. People are frequently pretty surprised when they find out that I'm Q. I'm not sure what they were expecting, but evidently, I'm not it. :smuggrin:

i met 3 people on SDN at my interview at UW. I met kirexhana at WashU revisit. I also had one person at Penn who recognized me based on my SDN and i didnt know him :eek: , which leads me to believe that if you are a regular and you have aN mdapps up some pepople will figure you out.

Anastasis said:
:laugh:

and Looque, if you wink at me, be prepared.

What? The boy is no Vin but he's still a cutie. Don't worry Dr. D, you're still my MCAT twin and you'll get a wink for good measure.

:thumbup: NICE! Hey, we just call it like we see it.