People on SDN meeting?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
SeventhSon said:
i met 3 people on SDN at my interview at UW. I met kirexhana at WashU revisit. I also had one person at Penn who recognized me based on my SDN and i didnt know him :eek: , which leads me to believe that if you are a regular and you have aN mdapps up some pepople will figure you out.

Were you whistling "High Hopes" at the time?

Members don't see this ad.

Dr Durden said:
Stay far far away form jackie future dr. looque. Check out the high school n00b thread for her sleepover horror story and the volunteer thread for a pic of your competition from an EMT she thinks is cute. Beware, you could end up her second cabana boy.... ;)

All joking aside though, you definitely have this fellow Missourian's respect for posting your pic on here. I definitely hope I stumble across SDNers as helpful as yourself during the interview season. :thumbup:

Hey, I wouldn't necessarily classify it as a horror story... ;)

SeventhSon said:
i met 3 people on SDN at my interview at UW. I met kirexhana at WashU revisit. I also had one person at Penn who recognized me based on my SDN and i didnt know him :eek: , which leads me to believe that if you are a regular and you have aN mdapps up some pepople will figure you out.
This is why I don't think I'll be sharing my MCAT score... I think it would be a dead give-away and situations like that are just kind of creepy.

Members don't see this ad :)
I already had a lurker on campus figure out my real identity which was creepy enough, much less a complete stranger at a distant university. This shouldn't stop us from surreptitiously winking at each other though and weirding out all the other applicants. It will certainly make group interviews and tours entertaining.

I've met quite a few SDNers. You'd be surpised how many people recognize me from my avatar. Of course, I always appreciate it when they throw a couple of cents in my hobo-jar.

Panhandling is hard work, I tells ya. :cool:

Severus said:
I've met quite a few SDNers. You'd be surpised how many people recognize me from my avatar. Of course, I always appreciate it when they throw a couple of cents in my hobo-jar.

Panhandling is hard work, I tells ya. :cool:

I think the flannel gives you away.

I met a few of my future classmates through SDN (not in person yet but soon); however, I normally have a policy about meeting people on the internet... I don't.

My SN gives me a bit of unintentional anonymity. A lot of people are surprised to learn I'm actually a guy not named Lois.

ADeadLois said:
My SN gives me a bit of unintentional anonymity. A lot of people are surprised to learn I'm actually a guy not named Lois.
Are they surprised to find out that you are a baby with a weird head carrying a knife in your diaper too?

BrettBatchelor said:
Are they surprised to find out that you are a baby with a weird head carrying a knife in your diaper too?

Yes, I had to change my avatar because my true identity is a bit too scary.

ADeadLois said:
Yes, I had to change my avatar because my true identity is a bit too scary.

I doubt that's true. You know my identity and you're not running for the hills. :thumbup:

jackieMD2007 said:
I doubt that's true. You know my identity and you're not running for the hills. :thumbup:

Haha, I meant Stewie. My real identity isn't all that scary.

I've already met several of my classmates from SDN. We met up for drinks for the first time several months ago, and we've been in touch ever since. As a matter of fact, I saw several of them this weekend. I wasn't really aware of SDN until after my interviews were over - otherwise, I probably would've seen if anyone was headed to the same city/school at the same time. Interviews can be lonely when you don't know anyone in town.

I don't really see what the big deal is, nor do I think it's weird or creepy. I don't understand the whole stigma associated with meeting people online, especially since (in my case) we're all going to be in the same class. Many of us just moved to a new city where we didn't know anybody - it's nice to be able to call up one of my classmates that I've already met, and hang out. SDN is a great networking tool - for some, anonymity is important, and I understand that. But for me, it was a way to get to know the people with whom I will be spending the next 4 years. When orientation begins, I will already know a significant chunk of my class pretty well - and I've really liked everyone I've met so far...no axe murderers or other assorted psychopaths...yet. :)

LadyWolverine said:
I've really liked everyone I've met so far...no axe murderers or other assorted psychopaths...yet. :)

Reassuring coming from a crazed killer clown ;)

I met 4 sdners or so on the interview trail, and those are just the ones I know of.

At my Miami interview the dean of admissions mentioned sdn and intervew feedback . . . kind of weird.

ADeadLois said:
Nor dead...