People on the SUNY Downstate Hold List (2007 Edition)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cirrus83

Too old for this
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, I know it's a little early but since they seem to be handing out what seems to be an awful lot of holds now, I figured I'd start up the 2007 thread for people on Hold at Downstate.

It's been quite sad for me since I only had 2 interviews total, so...this bites =(

Members don't see this ad.

also on hold, it sucks :(.

I hope its true that the chance of direct acceptance from this pool is still possible. When does this list start moving, any guesses, an how many seem to get in?

also on hold, it sucks :(.

I hope its true that the chance of direct acceptance from this pool is still possible. When does this list start moving, any guesses, an how many seem to get in?

Going from previous years it seems like June is when they'll actually start moving us off of hold and either accept us or put us onto the waitlist. And then...the waitlist can just go on and on.....

=(

Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck to everyone. I'm with you on the hold list.

on hold too...

How did they tell you? Email or smail?

when did you guys get this letter?

i interviewed 1/16 and havent heard anything. anyone interview around this date/later and is put on HOLD?

i interviewed 1/16 and havent heard anything. anyone interview around this date/later and is put on HOLD?

my reply isn't helpful but just an annoying request. i am a couple of weeks behind you (1/29) and haven't heard yet. would you mind just posting when you do hear from them? i was hoping to hear back this week but if you haven't heard yet i guess that means i still have atleast a couple more weeks of waiting. :scared:

is hold the same thing as spring consideration decision?

I'm just kinda disappointed. I mean, I guess it just feels like I must have bombed my interview somehow. Well, not bombed since I didn't get a straight rejection, but didn't do quite as well on my interview as I should have.

=(

Members don't see this ad :)
I think I'm finally going to send them an update and a letter of interest. I read somewhere (but I can't find it now) that you could e-mail this to them, but when I called up today the lady just gave me the address to mail it to...

Anybody know exactly what you're supposed to do if you want to e-mail it?

I think I'm finally going to send them an update and a letter of interest. I read somewhere (but I can't find it now) that you could e-mail this to them, but when I called up today the lady just gave me the address to mail it to...

Anybody know exactly what you're supposed to do if you want to e-mail it?
Hey there,

Just found out I'm joining your ranks as well. Do they reject off the hold list?

Time to search out last year's thread!

girlsporty, when was your interview? I do believe that if you're placed on the hold list, you can still be rejected, waitlisted or accepted. They're probably trying to get a sense of the other interviewees before they make a decision on your file.

I am also on the hold for spring consideration list...good luck everyone.

girlsporty, when was your interview? I do believe that if you're placed on the hold list, you can still be rejected, waitlisted or accepted. They're probably trying to get a sense of the other interviewees before they make a decision on your file.
My interview was 2/26. I'm pleased this was not a rejection or a waitlist yet.

Well, I know it's a little early but since they seem to be handing out what seems to be an awful lot of holds now, I figured I'd start up the 2007 thread for people on Hold at Downstate.

It's been quite sad for me since I only had 2 interviews total, so...this bites =(
good luck :luck:

I interviewed about a week after you, so hopefully I'll hear something soon. Did you get notified by snail mail? And yea, hold is definitely better than a rejection or waitlist at this point.

I interviewed about a week after you, so hopefully I'll hear something soon. Did you get notified by snail mail? And yea, hold is definitely better than a rejection or waitlist at this point.
Snail mail, small envelope. I'm instate.

Hmmm I interviewed 2 weeks before you (2/12) and have yet to hear a peep out of Downstate... I think they said 8-10 weeks though so I guess I shouldn't be getting too concerned just yet.

Hmmm I interviewed 2 weeks before you (2/12) and have yet to hear a peep out of Downstate... I think they said 8-10 weeks though so I guess I shouldn't be getting too concerned just yet.
I don't think they really go in order. Hey, don't I know you from the Buffalo Waitlist crew? :)

I don't think they really go in order. Hey, don't I know you from the Buffalo Waitlist crew? :)

Lol, yeah... Seems like us NYers seem to continually run in the same circles (makes sense for me as I only applied to schools in the northeast - the vast majority of which were in NY :cool: )

Well... I guess I shouldn't have been concerned - I just got accepted! Second acceptance in less than 24 hours. Talk about a roller coaster going from nothing to this. Actually, I haven't even gotten my acceptance packet yet but I got an e-mail today about the MD/MPH option which congratulated me on my acceptance and told me that if I hadn't already, I would be recieving the packet within the next few days. In any case, i'm over the moon right now :D

Well... I guess I shouldn't have been concerned - I just got accepted! Second acceptance in less than 24 hours. Talk about a roller coaster going from nothing to this. Actually, I haven't even gotten my acceptance packet yet but I got an e-mail today about the MD/MPH option which congratulated me on my acceptance and told me that if I hadn't already, I would be recieving the packet within the next few days. In any case, i'm over the moon right now :D

Congratulations! :thumbup:

12 weeks post interview, nothing

sigh

Does anyone know if there are any post interview rejections, or does everyone who does not get accepted right away go straight to the "hold" list?

There is at least one MDapps profile (#06755) that shows a post-interview rejection, so it definitely seems possible, although it is likely a rare occurrence. Congrats to the recent acceptees, and may the rest of us hear good news too.

I'd love to give my acceptance away to one of you guys on hold, but as of now its the highest school on my personal rankings that I got accepted to.

So perhaps within a month one more spot will open up for ya as i get accepted off another waitlist from another school???

Either way hang in there guys in about a month and a half more spots will open up.

I've seen someone post that they got rejected post-interview, so for what it's worth, the hold list isn't just what everyone gets put on.

Buttchin1, you should do that once we're on the waitlist :p since apparently the hold isn't a real waitlist. Hope you get into a school you like even better! :laugh:

I just withdrew my acceptance today from Downstate, hopefully it goes to one of you guys.

been on hold for spring consideration since december.
anyone know when they'll be making spring decisions?
gluck to all

been on hold for spring consideration since december.
anyone know when they'll be making spring decisions?
gluck to all

I would guess after they have made made a decision on the rest of the people that recently interviewed?

I heard indirectly that someone was on the SUNY Downstate waitlist, not "hold" list. I am not sure if I heard this person correctly. Does anyone know if there is a waitlist at this time? :confused:

I heard indirectly that someone was on the SUNY Downstate waitlist, not "hold" list. I am not sure if I heard this person correctly. Does anyone know if there is a waitlist at this time? :confused:

I don't think this is true. According to past years, the wait list (they call it the alternate list) is created at the end of june. I'm not sure, however, if people who are on the hold list are automatically rolled over to the alternate list when it is created.

BTW have all of you read the past years' threads about being on hold? A few years ago, they accepted a lot of people from it. Last year, once the alternate list was created, I think only one person on SDN got off of it.

Lets hope that they go to the Hold list alot more this year compared to last year. :oops:

It seems that more people are going from the interview to waitlist now rather than the "hold" list. Can anyone elaborate on that.

just posted in "SUNY Downstate, anyone"... but I interviewed 3/1 and received waitlist (not hold) today 4/16 via big brown snail mail envelope.

It seems that more people are going from the interview to waitlist now rather than the "hold" list. Can anyone elaborate on that.

just posted in "SUNY Downstate, anyone"... but I interviewed 3/1 and received waitlist (not hold) today 4/16 via big brown snail mail envelope.

Hmmm, that's interesting. So do you think hold is better than waitlist? Now I wonder what the chances are of getting off either.

:( I would imagine that being on the waitlist right now is better than the hold list.

I was thinking the opposite, since it is possible to get directly accepted off the hold.

I was thinking the opposite, since it is possible to get directly accepted off the hold.

Yeah but she got a big, brown envelope....did the rest of you guys get a regular one? And to sugarpi, did the brown envelope you got have other forms included?

My brown packet contained health forms, financial aid info, and information about completing a BLS course- all need to be completed before being accepted.

Last year I went through this. I was originally placed on hold in april, then on the waitlist mid-june, filled out needed documents etc, sent updates throughout the summer, and finally received my rejection late august after classes had started.

Then i applied again (which is a blast let me tell you!) I interviewed 3/1 and today receiced my letter saying "Our entering class is filled...but our Admissions Committee has selected you to be placed on our Alternate list of applicants who may be accepted should a vacancy occur in the class."

sorry guys, this isnt fun. but if you're on hold you could still be placed on the waitlist, as i was last year.

so the class is full now? that makes my 14ish week (and counting) post-interview response timeframe ache just a little bit more.

though, in light of recent national events, i suppose i dont have it so bad.

It seems that people who interviewed later on go to the waitlist rather than the hold list if not accepted or rejected.

Some information for anyone that is interested:

I interviewed just after 3/1 and received a 'Hold for Spring Consideration' dated 3/29 (less than 4 weeks post interview).