People on the SUNY Downstate Hold List (2007 Edition)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I guess my above theory is not correct then and people do still get hold list even if they interviewed later on. The only difference is that I do not know anyone that was waitlisted that interviewed at an earlier date they were just put on the hold list if not accepted.

Members don't see this ad.

What is the consensus then? Is hold better or waitlist better? What's the difference? Does anyone actually get in off this list??

are email updates ok to send if your on hold, like grades and activities?

Members don't see this ad :)
I would think that the waitlist is better. Old postings (2004,2005, 2006) seem to go from the hold list to the waitlist/alternate list. Does anyone know of people who went from the hold list to acceptance? I read some years many people get accepted off the hold list and other years not many. I hope this is one of the years that they take more. :)

can anyone verify:
hold for spring consideration -> most likely waitlisted?

if it's true, what a bummer.

I'm still waiting for a post-interview decision (this is week 6). It's so nerve-wracking! I really feel for everyone on hold on or the waitlist. From what I gathered after a phone call, those on hold for spring consideration will be reviewed again in June. Best of luck to all of us.

I'm still waiting for a post-interview decision (this is week 6). It's so nerve-wracking! I really feel for everyone on hold on or the waitlist. From what I gathered after a phone call, those on hold for spring consideration will be reviewed again in June. Best of luck to all of us.

June, eh? SUNY seems to be using a very technical definition of "spring."

Int. 3/5
Hold 4/21

At least it's not a rejection.

Int. 3/5
Hold 4/21

At least it's not a rejection.

dcarinci, thanks for updating us. I'm wondering when your letter was post-marked, as I interviewed two days after you and haven't yet received a decision.

Int. 3/5
Hold post-marked 4/17 received 4/21

Well that means that Holds are still going out. I cant tell if they hold is good or bad.

I think the waitlist is better now, because in the beginning of the process there was no waitlist just the hold list, now there is a waitlist. From past years I dont think (do not know for sure) people go from the hold list to accepted. I think it goes from the hold list to waitlist/alternate list.

Members don't see this ad :)
14 weeks post-interview, put on hold. also postmarked 4/17.

14 weeks post-interview, put on hold. also postmarked 4/17.

Oh wow. I hope my dreams of attending downstate didn't just
shatter. Sonof I am sure you were accepted at other places, but
it seems likely that the class is officially full now.

I wonder if anyone has recieved any post-interview acceptances in
the recent weeks. If anyone has recieved an acceptance recently,
please share. Also I'd be interested to hear if everyone that has
been accepted has gotten an email before receiving anything in the
mail.

To update those of you still waiting, I got a waitlist package in the mail today (not a hold letter). I interviewed in the first week of March. I'm not sure what to make of the waitlist vs hold situation. Good luck to everyone else.

Thanks for your reply.

Seems like the early march interviewees are getting decisions.
I havent heard yet with my february interview. I really hope
acceptances are still possible at this stage. I thought my interview
was just early enough for the class to not be full, but who knows.

Rebirth, When you say "everyone," is this because you know that most people do get e-mails if they are accepted, or are you just curious and I'm reading too much into what you wrote?

I interviewed on 3/6 and got an alternate list package on 4/18. The letter says specifically that the class is currently full, and I may hear as spots open up, but there are probably spots opening and being filled each day. I also asked them where I rank on the waitlist, and they informed me that their waitlist isn't ranked...that's kind of hard to believe. Good luck to everyone who hasn't heard.

Thats great Dafade! From previous year postings, I see people go from interview to hold, or interview to waitlist if it is later on in the interview process. From there it goes to the alternate list. If you are on the alternate list now I think you have the best chance of being accepted before the hold people and waitlist people.

Thanks for the vote of confidence Dr. Doodle : ) So there's a difference between waitlist and alternate list for Downstate? Every school calls their waitlist something different, so I just assumed that it was the generic term. Have you heard otherwise about their waitlist not being ranked?? I don't see how that could be.
Thanks!!

thanks for the updates everyone. this is what we have so far--

Downstate already has a full class, an 'unranked' waitlist, and a bunch of people on hold who will be evaluated in June but will most likely end up on the waitlist.

while things aren't looking good, it's good to see some action in this thread to keep my hopes up. Good luck to us all.

Hey blantant, thats about right, quite a bit of holds, a handful of waitlist/alternate (who interviewed later on) but on a more optimistic note...I dont think it does not look good for anyone yet = ) Most schools class is full until May 15 and thats when (FINGERS CROSSED) things start moving on this hold/wait list. Keep hope alive.

So some years the alternate list is ranked and some its not?
Thats what it seems like from what I see so far.

waitlist, alternate list, priorities, holds, confusing! alls i knows is i dont much like being on hold. especially not on the phone, but not at downstate too.

Does anyone know if there are POST-Interview rejections or does everyone (several hundred) not directly accepted go to the hold/waitlist?

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

OK just had to get that out of my system . . .the wait is killing me. Has anyone recieved anything from Downstate recently?

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

OK just had to get that out of my system . . .the wait is killing me. Has anyone recieved anything from Downstate recently?

Just got hold letter today, interviewd 3/5. I don't understand what this letter even means? They're actually gona re-review my application, it just doesn't make sense.

Does anyone know if there are POST-Interview rejections or does everyone (several hundred) not directly accepted go to the hold/waitlist?

i got a post-interview rejection today. this was totally unexpected, and even worse because it was my #1 school. i'm pretty upset right now. are post-interview rejections rare for downstate?

i got a post-interview rejection today. this was totally unexpected, and even worse because it was my #1 school. i'm pretty upset right now. are post-interview rejections rare for downstate?

did they reject you from a hold or a waitlist?

Hi all!

I interviewed at Downstate on 3/21, and just received a letter today saying "Our entering class is filled, but our Admissions Committee has selected you to be placed on our alternate list of applicants who may be accepted should a vacancy occur in the class," yadda yadda yadda... The letter was postmarked May 4.

Is there a consensus as to what the "alternate list" is? Is this the same thing as a wait-list? Do people ever get in off of it? And how does a wait-list work if it's unranked? Dart board method? Is it better to be on the alternate list, or on hold?

Sorry - I know these questions have been asked before, but everything is still unclear to me. :(

Good news! The entering class now has at least one spot open. My gf just withdrew...I thought I'd let you all know.

Hi all!

I interviewed at Downstate on 3/21, and just received a letter today saying "Our entering class is filled, but our Admissions Committee has selected you to be placed on our alternate list of applicants who may be accepted should a vacancy occur in the class," yadda yadda yadda... The letter was postmarked May 4.

Is there a consensus as to what the "alternate list" is? Is this the same thing as a wait-list? Do people ever get in off of it? And how does a wait-list work if it's unranked? Dart board method? Is it better to be on the alternate list, or on hold?

Sorry - I know these questions have been asked before, but everything is still unclear to me. :(

no, yes, yes, dont know, hopefully not, probably alternate list. good luck!

I'm trying to get a sense of alternate list vs hold. The alternate list letter came with immunization forms and a request for transcripts. Did those of you placed on hold also receive these? Also, thanks to the people updating us on withdrawals.

Hopefloats, I believe that you are at an advantage. I am not sure if many people go from hold to acceptance. Usually I think it goes from hold to alternate list then acceptance...fingers crossed! :) Good Luck!!!

Doctor Doodle, you were placed on hold, right? Did you get the immunization forms along with that letter? I'm just not sure what to make of it because from hold you could theoretically still be accepted right away. If hold is a delayed waitlist, that seems too redundant, so maybe there is still a chance of getting directly accepted? Who knows how this process works, let's keep our fingers crossed for each other.

Hi everyone,

I got an alternate list package in a big brown envelope today, with all the immunizaiton forms, also saying that "the class is filled but you are selected to be put on this alternate list." Interviewed on 3/20, letter dated May 10th.
From the link posted above on the Downstate alternate list from 2004, this list doens't look very bad. My advisor told me that all schools had to have their class filled by March 15th, so I am not surprised I am not offered an acceptance right away. On the other hand, I got an acceptance at Drexel, where I interviewed March 29th.

So what's the alternate list deal? From the posts of Sonof... it seems like if he got on the alternate list with that kind of stats, then really the class was filled and alternate list is not a very bad thing.

Any other news/ideas?:confused:

Hopefloats, I was placed on hold, and I didnt get any other forms to fill out. That is why I think you are at an advantage right now. I think most people go from hold to alternate list. People also say some years they go to hold list more often than other years. Does anyone know of more than one person who went from hold to acceptance or is that unusual and its hold to alternate list. Good Luck!

I been through this last year. If you got hold, there is zero percent chance you can get a straight acceptance. You can definitely go from hold to alternate as I did last year. By the way, if you can find last years waitlist thread (i posted in it), it sucked and i think one person from sdn got off it.

i wasn't placed on the alternate list. i'm on hold. also an oos applicant if you want to factor that in. not terribly optimistic at this point, but hopin for the best.

i've done well on tests and such but downstate didn't strike me as a number-whorish sorta place so much as a ok-you'll-pass-the-boards-sowhatelseyagot sorta place.

on a related note my favorite nilsson song lately is "i guess the lord must be in new york city" but then i think i probably wont get in and it gets depressing

did anyone who interviewed around 3/29 heard anything yet? I got a Hold letter on 5/17, I think they only sent it because they haven't gotten the chance to go over my application yet. :confused: Has anyone who interviewed around that time period heard anything yet?

did anyone who interviewed around 3/29 heard anything yet? I got a Hold letter on 5/17, I think they only sent it because they haven't gotten the chance to go over my application yet. :confused: Has anyone who interviewed around that time period heard anything yet?

i think they send holds when they have gone over your app and decided not to decide. make of that what you will. i think there's been no word for anyone on hold so far.

good luck

It has been very quiet. I hope things start moving this month.