People on unequal ground

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MattSmith45

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im only about 4 weeks into school but I've already noticed that there are several people that have a HUGE advantage so far into medical school. Especially people that have already taken anatomy or have done masters (SMP) programs. They are still having to study but I feel like others like me have to work twice or three times as hard to grasp this material.

When does everyone in medical school REALLY get on the same footing? Because it seems that right now there are some people that know more than others...

Members don't see this ad.

Im only about 4 weeks into school but I've already noticed that there are several people that have a HUGE advantage so far into medical school. Especially people that have already taken anatomy or have done masters (SMP) programs. They are still having to study but I feel like others like me have to work twice or three times as hard to grasp this material.

When does everyone in medical school REALLY get on the same footing? Because it seems that right now there are some people that know more than others...

I'd hate to break it to you, but I'm 2+ years into med school and there are still plenty of people in my class who know more than me.

Reactions: 5 users
Doesn't matter how much others know. All that's important is you pass all your courses and do well on boards. Everything else is nothing but distraction.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'd hate to break it to you, but I'm 2+ years into med school and there are still plenty of people in my class who know more than me.
I can't speak for MattyS but I believe he is referencing how people who have done SMPs at the same medical school have a massive leg up on everyone else early on since they took the same exact courses (biochem/histology/ what have you) with the same exact professors who used the same exact slides just a few short months ago. These people are way ahead of the game early on. It's frustrating as everyone else is studying day and night and these people are just demolishing exams due to knowing what to focus on/ what to punt for each class and each professor.

Again, I believe this is what he was getting at. I have NO experience with this situation whatsoever ;)

Reactions: 1 user
For what it's worth, many of the students in the top 10-15% at my school after first year were masters linkage students and a massive percentage dropped way off early second year where things evened out. If you learn the material you'll be good either way.

Reactions: 1 users
I can't speak for MattyS but I believe he is referencing how people who have done SMPs at the same medical school have a massive leg up on everyone else early on since they took the same exact courses (biochem/histology/ what have you) with the same exact professors who used the same exact slides just a few short months ago. These people are way ahead of the game early on. It's frustrating as everyone else is studying day and night and these people are just demolishing exams due to knowing what to focus on/ what to punt for each class and each professor.

Again, I believe this is what he was getting at. I have NO experience with this situation whatsoever ;)
Agree

Last edited:
At my school it takes about 1/3rd of a semester for people to discover that what worked in college doesn't work in med school, and for them to find their best learning style.

Everyone has their areas of knowledge where they excel ahead of others, and everyone has their weak points. I didn't have to study at all during respiratory and most of the cardiovascular stuff, but gross anatomy murdered me, for instance.

I agree with @Mad Jack . Everyone comes in at different levels of experience and education. Everyone will struggle and excel in different areas during the process. Also, OP I can't agree with you more in how you are feeling right now, there are a ton of people who completed master's programs or recently took courses in undergrad in my class that I never took and they all seem to be struggling less than me so far. Use that as motivation to try to keep up with their pace.

My cousin was an English major in college and she went to a really prestigious MD school and wound up getting the highest Step 1 score in her entire class, much higher than people who went to SMPs, better than people who were Biochemistry and Biology majors, its really how hard you work, not what your major is, the admissions committees know what they are doing when they decide to accept you for medical school. Also the MCAT score is a good indicator of whether you can be a good doctor and also the specific courses the schools require are good enough for prepare for medical school. I think the reason why she was so good at medicals school was that as an undergraduate she was accustomed to reading 1200 pages of abstract English literature a week so contemporary medical science was challenging but doable.

A lot of DO schools got SMP programs, those students who go to such programs and then get admission to the DO schools usually sail through the first year, but after that everyone is kind of equal but that being said I would not underestimate people because they did not major in sciences.

Honestly the type of science we learn in medical school is not hard, its the volume that is a lot, its not Quantum Physics, which 90 percent of medical students would fail.

Last edited:
Everyone has their own strengths and weaknesses. I was in the bottom quarter of my class 1st and 2nd year but did fairly well on boards. During third year I was in the top 5% of my class based on shelf scores and clinical evals. As a non trad student with no science background I was just never going to compete with folks who did undergrad or SMP's in biochem and genetics but I will compete with anyone from any school when it comes to clinical medicine.

It pretty much evens out when you hit the systems.