People please I need Info about residency in FRANCE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ThePacemaker

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I want to know about residency in France, Does it have a "formal'" residency training just like North america?

or its more like the German residency, where you are just attached to a hospital and all what you have to do is to clear a fixed number of procedures (checklist) in order to set the fachartz exam ? :idea:

One more point, some colleagues say that in France there are two different degrees, one for french, and the other for "foreigners" :thumbdown: is that true ?! however, others say that they have 'unifed' their degrees (recently) to all candidates. :thumbup:

Last point, Are they gonna let you work and be well trained ?? or just let you observe and/or assist the professors in their surgeries as I heared :eek:??

and yes for the record, i am looking for ENT residency...

Members don't see this ad.

HEy,
I am not an expert in this subject but as far as i know you will have to pass an extrmely tough exam just like USMLEs basically. It's the official exam all fench med students pass after their six years. It's a ntaional exam where you are ranked depending on your grade. Following this rank you choose your speciality ... I think it takes place in december.. .
But are you fluent in french? Do you know your medical terms in french?
Honestly, I would advise you doing your fellowship here but not the residency. My ophtamologist actually studied in Italy and did his fellowship here in france in surgery . He now practices in france.
Good luck

With my limited knowledge, I believe the easiest way to work as a doctor in France is to do your med school/residency (in French) in Quebec and once you are finished it is easy to go work in France under the Quebec-France Movement of Professionals Agreement.