People that don't deserve it...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ak21

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay I don't know how you all will react to this but I get pretty angry. There is a kid at my school that I know pretty well who is VERY smart and is very arrogant about it. This kid has like a 3.7 Science GPA. He's pre-med and most likely will get into some of the top medical schools in the country...here is my problem with it...he is probably one of the most undeserving people to have such fortunate circumstances. I know people will say, "Oh you're just jealous" but no this kid is a legitimate jerk. Last weekend he got into a fight on campus and literally almost put this kid into a coma! Does someone like that REALLY deserve to become a doctor!?! Maybe I am a little frustrated/jealous because I don't have a 3.7 GPA and I work harder than he does. how can someone who wants to make a living helping people- nearly kill someone? Do you guys know anyone like that? it's really frustrating to say in the least...

Members don't see this ad.

Okay I don't know how you all will react to this but I get pretty angry. There is a kid at my school that I know pretty well who is VERY smart and is very arrogant about it. This kid has like a 3.7 Science GPA. He's pre-med and most likely will get into some of the top medical schools in the country...here is my problem with it...he is probably one of the most undeserving people to have such fortunate circumstances. I know people will say, "Oh you're just jealous" but no this kid is a legitimate jerk. Last weekend he got into a fight on campus and literally almost put this kid into a coma! Does someone like that REALLY deserve to become a doctor!?! Maybe I am a little frustrated/jealous because I don't have a 3.7 GPA and I work harder than he does. how can someone who wants to make a living helping people- nearly kill someone? Do you guys know anyone like that? it's really frustrating to say in the least...

Depending on what you mean by "almost put a guy into a coma", if that's true, then he's going to have a criminal record that includes violent assault. That's going to be tough to explain to any adcom, and they absolutely will find out.

He will be an outstanding surgeon. Yet, I feel I'm feeding a troll.

Members don't see this ad :)

Well, I can understand that you're frustrated. However, I can guarantee you this board will rarely agree that someone doesn't "deserve" to be a doctor. It's jut not really part of the SDN culture. So just don't expect to hear much support.

Personally, I disagree with you. If the guy has a better GPA than you without working as hard, that's not his fault or something necessarily bad about him (unless he cheated to get there). He does the work it takes him to get his grades, and you do the work it takes you to get yours. People aren't born with the same ability to perform well in classes and this manifests itself in different ways. Also, whether he beat the crap out of some guy or not has nothing to do with his ability to be a competent and effective physician. While he clearly may show less care for his fellow man's well being than other applicants, the best doctor is not he who is the most caring.

It sucks that douchebags continually do well and get accepted to great medical schools. I wouldn't be so sure that this guy with only a 3.7 is going to pull off a top 20. I'm not saying it's not bad, but I'm saying 3.7 is probably below the median for most of those schools. But you'll always find douchebags, dumb and smart, throughout life so your best bet is to try to ignore them or out-perform them to shut them up. The latter has been my approach.

yeah his GPA is great- no doubt. but being a doctor is more than about grades. Where does ethics come into play? would you really want someone with a violent past being your doctor? even if they were a genius? I don't feel the need to go to a top 20 medical school. I don't really care that much about prestige, for me the magic number is one.

if he actually almost killed someone and it's so well known he's either going to fail his background check, or it was self defense.

Either way, worry about yourself and let that guy worry about himself.

and since I love pointing it out, hard work alone does not make you qualified.

Nearly all laws of math and science deal with things reaching an equilibrium or being conserved over time. Karma is the same way...just give it some time.

1. The majority of people who get accepted to medical school have a GPA > 3.6 so you can't really say this person is going to get into a "top" medical school because they have a 3.7 science GPA. He will be competing with a large number of applicants with similar statistics no matter where he decides to apply.
2. As someone already mentioned, having an assault charge on your record will keep you from getting into medical school. So, unless it was in self defense and the other guy had a knife or something, I don't think you have to worry about this person going to medical school.

and since I love pointing it out, hard work alone does not make you qualified.

sure...but in a different argument I would say someone who is "experienced" in dealing with adversity has a great trait. undergrad is easier than medical school and if they're not used to experiencing failure in undergrad who knows how they will take it if they experience it in medical school. not saying someone WILL struggle in medical school but ALMOST everyone does- to a certain extent. I think someone who struggles, works hard, and maintains a very respectable science gpa like a 3.5 is just as attractive, if not more, than the one who has gotten As all his/her life. and i say that because at a certain point...intelligence becomes all relative. Whether u have a 3.5 or a 3.7 doesn't really say much as to how good your aptitude for science is. 3.5 and 30+ MCAT with good LORs and ECs will get you in somewhere

there are always people you wish wouldn't get into medical school because they suck as individuals. it's unfortunate, especially when they're more successful than you are.

but you have to learn to live with it.

one word of advice I have is when you start med school, never assume any of your classmates are douches until you get to know them. several of my classmates struck me as the kind of people who were probably arrogant and wouldn't give me the time of day based on how they looked and my previous experiences, but they turned out to be really nice, genuine people. so don't judge a book by its cover...

sure...but in a different argument I would say someone who is "experienced" in dealing with adversity has a great trait. undergrad is easier than medical school and if they're not used to experiencing failure in undergrad who knows how they will take it if they experience it in medical school. not saying someone WILL struggle in medical school but ALMOST everyone does- to a certain extent. I think someone who struggles, works hard, and maintains a very respectable science gpa like a 3.5 is just as attractive, if not more, than the one who has gotten As all his/her life. and i say that because at a certain point...intelligence becomes all relative. Whether u have a 3.5 or a 3.7 doesn't really say much as to how good your aptitude for science is. 3.5 and 30+ MCAT with good LORs and ECs will get you in somewhere

I don't think it's all about grades either, but the bottom line is that someone with a 4.0 GPA in undergrad is much less likely to fail in medical school than someone with a 2.0. That's why medical schools want people with good GPAs. Does that mean someone with a 2.0 is mentally ******ed and would never be a good doc? No, but they probably wouldn't make it through medical school.

First of all, a 3.7 GPA really isn't that great...

Second of all, if the fighting wasn't an isolated incident, then at somepoint he will have criminal charges filed against him, which means no med school.

Third of all, forget about him, do your own thing, work hard, and you will come out ahead at some point. Thats why they say...slow and steady.

Who "deserves" a med school seat anyways?

Work on your own **** - raise your grades, etc - and quit worrying about what others are doing.

Members don't see this ad :)

All they have to predict your future performance is your past performance. So if they see you struggling in undergrad it will make them wonder if you'll struggle in med school. All kinds of people say their grades/MCAT don't represent how smart they really are, but it's all the schools have to go on.

There are plenty of people with great stats who don't get into medical school. It's not just grades, it's personality, it's the interview...it's everything. Not to say that the unsuccessful suck as people, but personality shines through on paper and in person. There's no guarantee that he will get in. He may be such a jerk that he screws up at his interview unknowingly...maybe he'll be rude to students or faculty/staff. Maybe he'll bomb the MCAT. Maybe his PS will come off wrong toward adcoms. Maybe his letter writers know how much of a jerk he is and write tepid LORs. So many possibilities.

Just let it play out, and definitely focus on you! When you spend too much energy on someone else it really takes away from the effort you should be spending on yourself.

Part of growing up is learning that it's futile to worry about things outside of your control.

rofl every doctor kills some body some time, may be first day of work may be the last day, or may be in between and no one ever found out.

make a living helping people? rofl.

People who post useless threads about people who don't deserve to get in don't deserve to get in.

Your story is BS by the way. a 3.7 GPA is not going to get you into a top 10. Besdies that, if he really did almost put someone in a coma, he's definitely going to get arrested and have this show up on his criminal record. Face it, you're being a jealous whinny prick.

To swing that judgmental pendulum back the other way; what makes YOU so deserving?

Nearly all laws of math and science deal with things reaching an equilibrium or being conserved over time. Karma is the same way...just give it some time.

That is quite wise. I've also lived to see it many times.

Dear OP,

We can't control other people. We can only concern ourselves with working on ourselves, individually, period. So why waste time and energy and emotions on what others do?

Some call it Karma. Others call it the Law of Reciprocity.

In due time no one escapes the forces of these realities, regardless of how it may seem to you or others looking from the outside in.

He doesn't require your hate or resentment. IMHO, he requires some silent prayers from you. What you can gain from him at this point in the motivation to rise above such things--not b/c you are better than he is; but b/c you want to live a better quality of life overall than he seems to know. Hopefully he will change and grow.

Hope the best for others, b/c at some point, someone was hoping the best for us. . . . Think about it.

It is strength and wisdom to realize resentment and hatred make your quality of life and thinking as poor or of greater poverty than his.

This is a wise view:

"God grant me the serenity

to accept the things I cannot change;

courage to change the things I can;

and wisdom to know the difference."-- Reinhold Niebuhr

To swing that judgmental pendulum back the other way; what makes YOU so deserving?

Weren't you paying attention? He already told us:

I think someone who struggles, works hard, and maintains a very respectable science gpa like a 3.5 is just as attractive, if not more, than the one who has gotten As all his/her life.

His lower GPA is clear evidence that he's the better candidate...

aaaaaaaand it just sounds like you're whining now.

Wow. And he goes to Stanford?

to defend the ivy leaguers, stanford is not ivy league... what peasants. =)

lol yeah. Well, if he made it past the Stanford admission committee (known for trying to emphasize holistic factors) then maybe he can do it again. Though I suspect the OP might be exaggerating here...

drama drama!

Signed,
bitter Stanford reject.

no it really doesn't..
yep it really does. technically not an ivy, though depending on location it weighs much heavier than some other ivy league schools and therefore some people naturally associate it with being ivy league without knowing otherwise. but im not about to get into a pissing match with you about it. :)

yep it really does. technically not an ivy, though depending on location it weighs much heavier than some other ivy league schools and therefore some people naturally associate it with being ivy league without knowing otherwise. but im not about to get into a pissing match with you about it. :)

Stanford is ~3000 miles from the nearest Ivy League school.

Total self delusion here. Sorry, I would never advise a pre-med to take a couple GPA hits because it makes him look more experienced with adversity.

I don't see why people make such a big deal about the "Ivy League" - it is a basketball/sports conference. That is the only real affiliation, it just morphed into what it is today because of the school quality.

That would be like saying someone got into Duke got into an ACC.

You need to reword what you are saying. Staford is as prestigious as many members of the Ivy League, but it is NOT a member of the Ivy League. The Ivy League's membership hasn't been up for debate for years.

In Hoody's defense though, I do know people who think Stanford is a member of the Ivy League.

You need to reword what you are saying. Staford is as prestigious as many members of the Ivy League, but it is NOT a member of the Ivy League. The Ivy League's membership hasn't been up for debate for years.

In Hoody's defense though, I do know people who think Stanford is a member of the Ivy League.
stanford would crush ivy leagues most years

dude, OP, doctors "nearly kill someone" every day. It's practically their job. maybe he was putting someone into a coma in order to...TAKE HIM OUT of the coma. like as a learning experience EC sort of thing. you don't know, man. you don't know.

dude, OP, doctors "nearly kill someone" every day. It's practically their job. maybe he was putting someone into a coma in order to...TAKE HIM OUT of the coma. like as a learning experience EC sort of thing. you don't know, man. you don't know.
:laugh:

Kind of like how they inject rats with stuff during physiology labs just to see how close they can almost-kill the rats without actually killing them?

What? Are you really suggesting that a person with a 4.0 would be less attractive to medical schools because of their perfect grades than someone who did worse? You crazy.

OP I think you're a little bit disillusioned...I am trying to be frank and I apologize if It comes off a little intense, but, why don't you just worry about yourself? Concerning yourself with what other people may have or what they were blessed with does nothing but make you feel worse about yourself. Yes this kid might be a huge douche, but so are many of the doctors currently practicing as well as students around the country in various Medical Schools. If they aren't good doctors, or if they are perceived by ADCOM's as potentially bad doctor material, than either they wont be practicing or they wont be successful. Do your thing, get into medical school and strive to be great...don't worry about the next guy it is never helpful and is often harmful

Just because someone has killed or really hurt someone in the past, present or will in the future, doesn't mean that they can't be a good doctor that genuinely wants to help people. Sometimes you have to put the smack down in order to keep peace. Now if this guy goes berserk over words than he was out of line. Nobody should be expected to be a punching bag. What was the situation on that particular day of the attack anyways?

Cry me a river, show him this post maybe he will
whip your ass..

Worry about yourself

Last edited:

1) A 3.7 GPA isn't "fortunate" in the sense of dumb luck. If he's smart and/or works hard he deserves his good grades, even if he's a d-bag.

2) This isn't really unique to medical school acceptances. Spencer Pratt still gets to be famous, somehow.

get used to it, there are plenty of talented aholes everywhere.