People watching - it's not just for stalkers anymore!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neuroprotector

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been doing research in the summer before MS1 here, and the MD I'm working with has started showing me cool diagnostic tricks. For example, you can estimate people's pulse from across the room by watching the tip of their foot bounce when their legs are crossed, or people's blood alcohol content by visual nystagmus (50 minus the angle when saccade motion sets in divided by 100), which is fun at a [nerdy] party.

The problem is, now I find myself doing this all the time - on the bus, in the store, etc. Anyway, does anyone else have any unorthodox diagnosis tricks that could be fun to try?

Members don't see this ad.

I like trying to guess where homeless people have brain damage by looking at the way they walk, their gait, and their facial droop. It's sad but true.

I've been doing research in the summer before MS1 here, and the MD I'm working with has started showing me cool diagnostic tricks. For example, you can estimate people's pulse from across the room by watching the tip of their foot bounce when their legs are crossed, or people's blood alcohol content by visual nystagmus (50 minus the angle when saccade motion sets in divided by 100), which is fun at a [nerdy] party.

The problem is, now I find myself doing this all the time - on the bus, in the store, etc. Anyway, does anyone else have any unorthodox diagnosis tricks that could be fun to try?

You boss is a nerd!!! That is all.

Members don't see this ad :)
Gait supposedly says it all. What is says, though, I haven't gotten to yet.

You going to share all this information to your new classmates at your first med school party? Hehehe ;)

I once worked with a doc who claimed to be able to accurately guess systolic blood pressure by checking the pulses.

Also, due to lack of technology, a lot of the FMgs from third world countries have the skills you are describing because they tend to be used to having the benefit of only their physical exam and patient history to go on.

I like trying to guess where homeless people have brain damage by looking at the way they walk, their gait, and their facial droop. It's sad but true.

I also do this a lot. Baltimore is filled with interesting neuro cases.

Me too me too! I see this one woman (not homeless) everyday on my way to campus and used to try and guess her dx. And then one day one of the profs used her as a clinical case with video.

My prof in my neuro class used to suggest that we try diagnosing the homeless people as practice. My favorite was the guy who only dressed the left side of his body.. and only used his left leg to walk. He would drag his right leg and foot and take steps with his left. It was better than any video any day.

Go bears! There's never a shortage of psych patients.

I once worked with a doc who claimed to be able to accurately guess systolic blood pressure by checking the pulses.

Same here. I knew a cardio attending who claimed he could do the same. Even though I feel like he just guess-timated based on their weight?