People who applied last year with mediocre stats

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cerbernator

Retired
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
When did you get interview invites?

Members don't see this ad.

Never got any. :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Cerbernator said:
When did you get interview invites?

my stats are pretty mediocre and i have my first interview on sep. 21st :thumbup:

Jeffy said:
my stats are pretty mediocre and i have my first interview on sep. 21st :thumbup:
You should probably define mediocre, which is usually associated with less than avg, but not awful. So should we assume mediocre stats would be MCAT <30 and GPA <3.6, or one of the other being fairly low (<28, <3.5) with the other not being too high (>31, >3.8) ?

If I remember correctly, he got a 29 (not mediocre, this is a good score! :thumbup: ) and was retaking....not sure about GPA.....

-tx

My MCAT was a 30 but my GPA is lower than your lowest projection. The BCPM GPA . . . yeah, that one's even lower. :laugh:

So if anyone wants an interview at Temple, my advice is study abroad in Africa and do a lot of public health related stuff. :thumbup:

wxl31 said:
what's considered mediocre?

Sorry, my stats weren't mediocre...more like horrible:

3.00 BCPM, 3.32 Non-BCPM, 3.09 Cum
8 VR, 14 PS, Q WS, 11 BS = 33Q

And I didn't get a single interview. :(

premed said:
Sorry, my stats weren't mediocre...more like horrible:

3.00 BCPM, 3.32 Non-BCPM, 3.09 Cum
8 VR, 14 PS, Q WS, 11 BS = 33Q

And I didn't get a single interview. :(

33Q isn't horrible :) In fact it's pretty darn good. I hope you have more luck this year (if you're reapplying) :luck:

I guess my gpa is mediocre: 3.4. 31 MCAT. I do have a few interviews though. So there's hope for under 3.5 people!

sorry, I am 29 (10,10,9) and slightly under a 3.6. I have had 1 interview but havent heard anything else.

I have a 29N (10 V, 9 P, 10 B) and a 3.35 cum/3.09 sci due to one erroneous F freshman year (long story and explained to many schools). Without that I have a 3.44 cum/3.33 sci.
Last year I got one interview and this year I already have two, but one rejection :(
Wish me luck! :scared:

Let's not forget that more than just stats go into one's chances of getting an interview. Hence the personal statement and extra essays on secondaries (if they have extra essays). Some schools evaluate the student's well-roundedness and overall potential, which is determined more than simple statistics. My good friend had a 2.8 cumulative, 2.6 science, and a 38S MCAT (yes, pretty damn good). Right out of undergrad...he is now attending Stanford Sch of Med. It can happen...have faith in yourself and write well...and make sure you did a lot of s@%t during undergrad. His resume was amazing...