People Who are Accepted...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am truly happy to just go to medical school. Yes, honestly I could've retaken the MCAT and went to school an extra year and been competitive for a state MD school, but I feel like that would honestly be a waste of money. I don't want to be some big shot surgeon or a dermatologist or [insert hyper competitive specialty here]. I want to be a good physician and possibly go into academic medicine. For what I'm going into, I have no worries. :)

True story! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

I was tempted to mentally check out after I got in at a couple of schools. Fortunately I decided to take some physiology and anatomy courses and they have paid off big.

It may not be the most popular idea, but really take a few courses like physio, anatomy, biochem, immunology, microbiology, or histology. Since you are already accepted there is no pressure to get an A (or even a B) but they will give you a an advantage going into the first year of med school.

I'm in immunology, biochem, and genetics. I have molecular genetics next semester as well as more biochem. But I think I'm going to take forensic chemistry for fun. :D

I am currently out of classes, but I will definetly say that it is much more difficult to wake up in the morning to go to work. Even more difficult to work efficiently! :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
I am in an EMT-B course (took it for something to do and to get some more medical experience) and honestly after my acceptance I checked out mentally. I guess the good thing is that I still have an A in the class but I'm bored with it.....maybe next semester will be more interesting with clinicals and ride-alongs.

I'm also doing odd-jobs and subbing and shadowing to fill up my time.

I don't know if I should be reviewing undergrad stuff or not...I'm living the lazy lifestyle right now so I'm not studying at all..:cool: MSU has a new pre-matriculation thing they are starting which I think was basically an anatomy review thing that starts in January so that should help.

As far as DO/MD I only applied to DO schools as I was not interested in MD schools. I think they are obviously different, but you shouldn't pick a school based on what other people will think of you...pick a school based on what kind of doctor you want to be and which school is the best fit :).

Accepted to TouroCOM NY so I'm living carefree for the first time in years right now.

Currently working as an ophthalmic technician right now, so I'm still working 40 hrs/wk, but I'm super excited for classes to start in August. Sounds nerdy, I know, but I'm just stoked.

Not to sound like a gunner, but just ordered Netters Anatomy on amazon and plan on teaching myself after work as much as I can. Anatomy is easy to forget, but with repetition, I hope to have some of it really stick. I figure it'll not only be important for COMLEX/USMLE's, but also for surgical rotations. For Christmas, I think my girlfriend might be buying me either BRS Physiology or pre-ordering me First Aid 2012 for when it comes out in January.

Is anyone else planning on going to TouroCOM NY?

I am in an EMT-B course (took it for something to do and to get some more medical experience) and honestly after my acceptance I checked out mentally. I guess the good thing is that I still have an A in the class but I'm bored with it.....maybe next semester will be more interesting with clinicals and ride-alongs.

Probably not unless u do a lot of clinical/ride-along in a 911 ambulance/trauma center.

All I learned in EMT-B was to give oxygen for everything. :smuggrin:

Accepted to TouroCOM NY so I'm living carefree for the first time in years right now.

Currently working as an ophthalmic technician right now, so I'm still working 40 hrs/wk, but I'm super excited for classes to start in August. Sounds nerdy, I know, but I'm just stoked.

Not to sound like a gunner, but just ordered Netters Anatomy on amazon and plan on teaching myself after work as much as I can. Anatomy is easy to forget, but with repetition, I hope to have some of it really stick. I figure it'll not only be important for COMLEX/USMLE's, but also for surgical rotations. For Christmas, I think my girlfriend might be buying me either BRS Physiology or pre-ordering me First Aid 2012 for when it comes out in January.

Yeah you definitely sound like a gunner. Especially because every current med student would tell you not to pre-study. I am finishing up a med terminology class and plan to go through those flash cards once or twice a month to keep it in my head, but other than that, learning other stuff.

Yeah you definitely sound like a gunner. Especially because every current med student would tell you not to pre-study. I am finishing up a med terminology class and plan to go through those flash cards once or twice a month to keep it in my head, but other than that, learning other stuff.

Meh, I'll be reading/memorizing Netter's beer in hand. True gunner would forgo the beer, tell people they weren't studying & that it's not necessary for other people to prep...and then secretly study :laugh:

Probably not unless u do a lot of clinical/ride-along in a 911 ambulance/trauma center.

All I learned in EMT-B was to give oxygen for everything. :smuggrin:

lol yeah I know what you mean...but yes I get to/am required to do like 70 hours in a trauma center next semester so that'll be exciting hopefully.

Well atleast it's just one credit. It sounds like it would be a difficult class.

I had 5 assignments, 3 A- and 2 B+. the final was ridiculous and very specific. And it should be my only C. Should make up for it with a few As. Bummer but whatya gonna do.

Feels weird. First test I have ever failed.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had 5 assignments, 3 A- and 2 B+. the final was ridiculous and very specific. And it should be my only C. Should make up for it with a few As. Bummer but whatya gonna do.

Feels weird. First test I have ever failed.

I had an EEOB (Evolution, Ecology, and Organism Biology) course like that. All A's and A-'s the whole course until the final. Then the final was some asinine attempt to just screw with everyone in the class and I got a D-ish on it. But the final was weighted as 35-40% of your whole grade and just sucked my final grade down to a B+. I wanted to give the teacher a piece of my mind, but he was writing me a letter of rec. :-/

I had an EEOB (Evolution, Ecology, and Organism Biology) course like that. All A's and A-'s the whole course until the final. Then the final was some asinine attempt to just screw with everyone in the class and I got a D-ish on it. But the final was weighted as 35-40% of your whole grade and just sucked my final grade down to a B+. I wanted to give the teacher a piece of my mind, but he was writing me a letter of rec. :-/

Now that you are accepted, it's time to plan professor sabotage... :ninja:

Ugh, hating physics this year. It somehow worked out that my physics I (already taken II) class was put off until this semester. Had an 83 in the lab and took a lab test a few days ago. Got a 20!! The class average was 40. My lab TA is the worst thing to happen to science...god awful. Anyway, this one grade lowered my grade to a 75 (5 full points off my final grade) so now I am in serious jeopardy of getting below a C. The sad part? I studied like crazy for that test...I might has well have blindly guessed.

Similar story in the lecture...got an 82 on the first test (a B+ according to his scaling), but 15% of the grade is hmwk online (Wiley...the second worst thing to happen to science) and I am failing it b/c late hmwk counts as 50% off and I work all the time, I can't get it done. Worried about my final grade now. I hate senior year...physics is so irrelevant to what I want to do! Worried about dipping below a C in these classes. Ugh. FML. /vent

Ugh, hating physics this year. It somehow worked out that my physics I (already taken II) class was put off until this semester. Had an 83 in the lab and took a lab test a few days ago. Got a 20!! The class average was 40. My lab TA is the worst thing to happen to science...god awful. Anyway, this one grade lowered my grade to a 75 (5 full points off my final grade) so now I am in serious jeopardy of getting below a C. The sad part? I studied like crazy for that test...I might has well have blindly guessed.

Similar story in the lecture...got an 82 on the first test (a B+ according to his scaling), but 15% of the grade is hmwk online (Wiley...the second worst thing to happen to science) and I am failing it b/c late hmwk counts as 50% off and I work all the time, I can't get it done. Worried about my final grade now. I hate senior year...physics is so irrelevant to what I want to do! Worried about dipping below a C in these classes. Ugh. FML. /vent

Physics is the worst thing to ever happen to science anyways.:rolleyes:... wait...

Lol. But seriously, I hated physics as well when I took it. You've just got to push through and think about med school. You're already accepted! But feel free to vent here whenever. :D

physics is so irrelevant to what I want to do!

Might be surprised at how important physics is in medicine. I think so far in my Med Phys course I've used every MCAT level physics concept except projectiles and collisions.

I didn't really like physics either, I probably did the worst in my physics pre-req class than any other... but I scored the highest on the PS for MCAT.

Wait wut?

Might be surprised at how important physics is in medicine. I think so far in my Med Phys course I've used every MCAT level physics concept except projectiles and collisions.

+1

Physics/applied physics is involved in just about everything medical on some level or another (a few examples):

The heart/circulatory system - fluid mechanics, electricity
Skeletal system - mechanics/statics
Digital imaging (MRI, CT etc) - magnetism and electricity

I don't get why you all are acting like science is important to medicine. You go to medical school and you spend 4 years learning to be able to say "penis" or "vagina" without giggling like a pre-schooler. (The people in my undergrad anatomy class had trouble mastering that skill, I assume you learn it in medical school.)

Then you go to residency and learn to do paperwork for people higher up than you on the food chain. Once you finish that, people do your paper work for you.

Boom! Medicine in a nutshell, no "science" involved. You have all been educated. :prof:

you said vagina. lulz

Lol!

And it's not that I don't understand basic physics, it's that I am stretched so thin at the moment between work, school, and interviewing that I just dont have the time committment to get the busy work completed on time. Just ready for this semester to end...

I just noticed this thread and want to comment that all you whippersnappers are slackers. Back when I got accepted I was working 3 12-hour shifts a week in upstate NY while taking a full load of undergrad classes in central Jersey Mon-Thurs including physics II, endocrinology, my senior thesis, politics of 20th century Russia and (okay, this one was easy) stress management.

By i worked my ass off in that class about meditation!

I love physics :love: But I'm a class I nerd. So, there you are.

My least favorite of all of the pre-reqs was definitely inorganic chemistry. My favorite was probably organic chemistry...although I did enjoy my Systems Physiology class more than any other class I took at university!

I just noticed this thread and want to comment that all you whippersnappers are slackers. Back when I got accepted I was working 3 12-hour shifts a week in upstate NY while taking a full load of undergrad classes in central Jersey Mon-Thurs including physics II, endocrinology, my senior thesis, politics of 20th century Russia and (okay, this one was easy) stress management.

I'm not by any means working 12 hour shifts, but I do have a full load of classes (immunology, biochemistry, genetics, ethics in medicine, and statistics) as well as working as a TA about 16 hours a week with research about 10 hours a week probably. :D

I'm not by any means working 12 hour shifts, but I do have a full load of classes (immunology, biochemistry, genetics, ethics in medicine, and statistics) as well as working as a TA about 16 hours a week with research about 10 hours a week probably. :D

It was the twice a week 3 hour drive from school to work (or vice versa) that really made it hardcore.

Anyone here holding onto multiple acceptances while still waiting to hear back from their top choice school? Just curious.

The deposits for schools r just ridiculous. Thousand dollars down the drain if ya don't end up going to the school

Anyone here holding onto multiple acceptances while still waiting to hear back from their top choice school? Just curious.

Once LMU-DCOM processes my deposit, I will be letting LECOM know that I will no longer be attending their school. After that I am waiting to hear from OU just to see if they will give LMU-DCOM a run for their money. I have to say though, I really LOVED the interview day at LMU-DCOM and OU better bring their A-game.

Why would you put a deposit on more than one school? You should be able to decide between the 2. If you do happen to get other interviews go if you want, but I wouldn't think it shouldn't be too hard to decide between 2 schools; especially since you've had a few months to think about it.

Why would you put a deposit on more than one school? You should be able to decide between the 2. If you do happen to get other interviews go if you want, but I wouldn't think it shouldn't be too hard to decide between 2 schools; especially since you've had a few months to think about it.

Because I interviewed at LECOM on their first day, at the end of July, and my deposit was due by the end of August. I did not hear from LMU-DCOM until September. So yes, it IS easy to decide between the two, but I was not guaranteed any more interviews at the time the LECOM deposit was due.

I do the same thing, (alternate between three and four 12.5 hr shifts per week at the hospital), and am taking 16 credit hours (one is a lab)...but I'm not wanting to care about school at all [and frankly, insanely impressed that you were able to]. Unfortunately, that is not an option...trying to put my nose to the grindstone for finals and get past this semester.

WE CAN DO IT :) Lol. :rolleyes: :cool:

I find myself sitting in the Biomedical sciences program at PCOM with zero motivation to push myself because I have already been accepted at other schools... Yes, I am thrilled I am in somewhere, but getting accepted so early in the cycle is a real drag when you are trying to push yourself through gross anatomy and histo. this semester!

I find myself sitting in the Biomedical sciences program at PCOM with zero motivation to push myself because I have already been accepted at other schools... Yes, I am thrilled I am in somewhere, but getting accepted so early in the cycle is a real drag when you are trying to push yourself through gross anatomy and histo. this semester!

Ouch, you win. The harder the subject, the harder to find the motivation to push yourself through. Although, at least what you are learning is relevant. I would be fine to study anatomy right now...studying buoyancy and harmonics is doing nothing for me. Haha. When does your program end? Do you still have all of next semester?

Ouch, you win. The harder the subject, the harder to find the motivation to push yourself through. Although, at least what you are learning is relevant. I would be fine to study anatomy right now...studying buoyancy and harmonics is doing nothing for me. Haha. When does your program end? Do you still have all of next semester?

Second trimester just began... Program ends in May! :thumbdown:

But it in the end it will end up being very useful for next year...

She's speaking physics!! Someone stop her! :D

I don't know... all of my classes are relevant. Yet, I still don't have that old have-to-push-until-all-A's pre-med drive anymore. :rolleyes:

Second trimester just began... Program ends in May! :thumbdown:

But it in the end it will end up being very useful for next year...

Congrats on the baby!

Oh, that's not what you meant... :whoa:

Here is a piece of advice for you and all other pre-meds (soon to be med. students):

Return all the "medical school" books you have bought (unless instructed by your school to do so), tell your gf to buy you anything BUT books (especially medically-related books). Definitely do not worry about "surgical" or any other rotations and/or COMLEX/USMLE at this point. You haven't even had your medical school orientation yet! :laugh::laugh:

Enjoy Life: go on vacation, spend time with family/SO/friends, watch TV or sleep 12+ hrs/day (whatever you do, just don't get arrested).

Congratulations on your acceptance(s) and Good Luck!:luck:

Here is a piece of advice for you and all other pre-meds (soon to be med. students):

Return all the "medical school" books you have bought (unless instructed by your school to do so), tell your gf to buy you anything BUT books (especially medically-related books). Definitely do not worry about "surgical" or any other rotations and/or COMLEX/USMLE at this point. You haven't even had your medical school orientation yet! :laugh::laugh:

Enjoy Life: go on vacation, spend time with family/SO/friends, watch TV or sleep 12+ hrs/day (whatever you do, just don't get arrested).

Congratulations on your acceptance(s) and Good Luck!:luck:

This makes me feel a little better about my complete lack of desire to do anything even remotely related to pre-studying.

I have, however, been researching anything that might make my life a little easier next year.

I've started up a wish list on Amazon full of stuff I've found that may be of useful next year: rice cooker/vegetable steamer, programmable crock pot (i didn't know these existed), a reasonable set of cookware, a good coffee maker, dry erase boards, vacuum food sealer, grill, a good lunch bag, etc. I'm at a point where my budget can take a $100 hit each month so I'm buying some things (not books) piece by piece.

I've been trying out quick, easy, affordable recipes. I bought a chest freezer last year, so my plan is to cook in bulk and freeze next year. I'm still figuring out what freezes well and what doesn't. In case anyone else is looking, my sources have been:

http://allrecipes.com/
http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/
http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes_menus
http://thepauperedchef.com/
http://the99centchef.blogspot.com/
http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/
http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/category/recipes
http://www.cookinglight.com/food/recipe-finder/

A couple weekends ago I learned how to use an entire rotisserie chicken, a first for me. The breast meat went into pitas for the week's lunches (chicken, cucumbers, spinach, and Sabra brand roasted red pepper hummus. They're great!). The carcass went into the slow cooker with some water overnight to make chicken stock. Some chicken stock and half the dark meat went into some black beans and rice. The rest of the chicken stock and the other half of the dark meat went into a chicken, barley, and vegetable soup. All that from a $5 rotisserie chicken. I was totally stoked.

This makes me feel a little better about my complete lack of desire to do anything even remotely related to pre-studying.

I have, however, been researching anything that might make my life a little easier next year.

I've started up a wish list on Amazon full of stuff I've found that may be of useful next year: rice cooker/vegetable steamer, programmable crock pot (i didn't know these existed), a reasonable set of cookware, a good coffee maker, dry erase boards, vacuum food sealer, grill, a good lunch bag, etc. I'm at a point where my budget can take a $100 hit each month so I'm buying some things (not books) piece by piece.

I've been trying out quick, easy, affordable recipes. I bought a chest freezer last year, so my plan is to cook in bulk and freeze next year. I'm still figuring out what freezes well and what doesn't. In case anyone else is looking, my sources have been:

http://allrecipes.com/
http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/
http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes_menus
http://thepauperedchef.com/
http://the99centchef.blogspot.com/
http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/
http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/category/recipes
http://www.cookinglight.com/food/recipe-finder/

A couple weekends ago I learned how to use an entire rotisserie chicken, a first for me. The breast meat went into pitas for the week's lunches (chicken, cucumbers, spinach, and Sabra brand roasted red pepper hummus. They're great!). The carcass went into the slow cooker with some water overnight to make chicken stock. Some chicken stock and half the dark meat went into some black beans and rice. The rest of the chicken stock and the other half of the dark meat went into a chicken, barley, and vegetable soup. All that from a $5 rotisserie chicken. I was totally stoked.

My soon-to-be wife (planning on proposing soon! and if she says no after 6 years of being together, I'LL KILL HER :laugh:) and I are doing this too! We've been learning how to freeze meals for easy pop-in-oven/microwave/whatever and also using the slow cooker which turns tough cuts of meat into fall-apart-delicious (like MAGIC). She's also already acknowledged that she will be cooking me frozen meals during the week and giving them to me when she visits on the weekends so that I will probably cook very little during the actual school year (yea, we'll see how long THAT lasts!)

My mother bought me and my sister each a TurboWave oven last year for christmas and I love it. It's the most used piece of kitchen equipment in the house. Lower electricity, easy to use and clean. We only use the oven for things that need to be on a large cookie tray, like uhm.. cookies. Pinterest.com and Foodgawker.com are two other great sites to use (pinterest has a ton of random crap though, gotta organize by food&drink).

I've been looking up threads on school supplies and want to get a jump on some of the bigger purchases like a Color Laser Printer with Duplex (auto double-sided printing). Black Friday is coming!

My soon-to-be wife (planning on proposing soon! and if she says no after 6 years of being together, I'LL KILL HER :laugh:) and I are doing this too! We've been learning how to freeze meals for easy pop-in-oven/microwave/whatever and also using the slow cooker which turns tough cuts of meat into fall-apart-delicious (like MAGIC). She's also already acknowledged that she will be cooking me frozen meals during the week and giving them to me when she visits on the weekends so that I will probably cook very little during the actual school year (yea, we'll see how long THAT lasts!)

My mother bought me and my sister each a TurboWave oven last year for christmas and I love it. It's the most used piece of kitchen equipment in the house. Lower electricity, easy to use and clean. We only use the oven for things that need to be on a large cookie tray, like uhm.. cookies. Pinterest.com and Foodgawker.com are two other great sites to use (pinterest has a ton of random crap though, gotta organize by food&drink).

I've been looking up threads on school supplies and want to get a jump on some of the bigger purchases like a Color Laser Printer with Duplex (auto double-sided printing). Black Friday is coming!

Whooaa congrats on the soon-to-be-wife! I assume you aren't facing the same problems as Jnet with the future mother-in-law? :xf:

I hear you on the oven. I got a NuWave oven a few months ago (very similar to the Turbowave), and it makes everything so easy. I made some awesome grilled chicken for lunch and dinner today.

I might add, that it's also very helpful for losing weight! High protein foods... low fat/carbs... while still being tasty.

Notice how I just referenced 3 different threads in 1 post.

Whooaa congrats on the soon-to-be-wife! I assume you aren't facing the same problems as Jnet with the future mother-in-law? :xf:

I hear you on the oven. I got a NuWave oven a few months ago (very similar to the Turbowave), and it makes everything so easy. I made some awesome grilled chicken for lunch and dinner today.

I might add, that it's also very helpful for losing weight! High protein foods... low fat/carbs... while still being tasty.

Notice how I just referenced 3 different threads in 1 post.

Lol, +points for cross-referencing threads.

No, her mother and I are good. Her family in general is very open and welcoming towards me, and I'm actually good friends with her brother (we met through him actually... story for another time). Those mini ovens are sooo nice for students. I actually haven't purchased her e-ring yet, but hopefully in the next few weeks :xf: