People who are doing Kaplan VR Sectional Tests

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tdjn

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I haven't seen any posts about the Kaplan VR Sectional tests.

Anyway, I am in the process of doing them now, and I was wondering if anyone else was having difficulty with these.

I am hitting anywhere from 50 - 75% on these.

Members don't see this ad.

hell yeah! i got a 70% on the first one i took and was freakingout bc it was worse than my verbal diagnostic... i dontknow how to interpret them

Totally off target. If you don't do well on them, it doesn't mean anything. Also their strategy which entails writing something after each paragraph is garbage. That's the sort of stuff that makes you do worse than everyone else. Unless your a poor reader, read like you've always been reading except now your changing what your looking for, and your mood. Be critical. Also ExamKrackers pretty much nailed the verbal part of the exam. This is what I would suggest: Verbal: ExamKrackers ; Physics: Kaplan; Biology: Princeton Review/examkrackers/Kaplan; Writing: Your 9 year old brother.

My two pennies. :cool:

The thing is, I just finished doing the EK's... God knows I am not going to use something like The Berkeley Review's verbal, since it's so crappy.

So, I basically need more practice material, and I've been doing Kaplan's. What do you recommend after EK's? Or have I pretty much hit a brick wall?

Members don't see this ad :)
The thing is, I just finished doing the EK's... God knows I am not going to use something like The Berkeley Review's verbal, since it's so crappy.

So, I basically need more practice material, and I've been doing Kaplan's. What do you recommend after EK's? Or have I pretty much hit a brick wall?

try to get the tpr verbal workbook. it's solid.

Why do you say BR's Verbal is crappy? I was going to buy it, should I not bother with it?

Why do you say BR's Verbal is crappy? I was going to buy it, should I not bother with it?

It's up to you if you want to waste your money. It's been known on SDN to have to worst verbal section.

Do the EK's, and if you are done with those, I would recommend Kaplan/TPR.

the passages are good, but the questions aren't. kaplan iis off on a lot of stuff. if you can, get the tpr verbal book. look on ebay, craigs list, or sdn.

i just took a kaplan verbal test today and the questions seemed ridiculously easy. i have an exam krackers book as well and I havent scored above a 9...and I scored an 11 with the kaplan test.

the weird thing is that the EK tests are 9 passages and 60 questions long, which I know is not the case. the questions and passages were way more difficult than the kaplan one i just took (6 passages 40 questions).

the passages are good, but the questions aren't. kaplan iis off on a lot of stuff. if you can, get the tpr verbal book. look on ebay, craigs list, or sdn.

No, even the passages are bad. One of the passages was directly copied from my statistics textbook. Not very representative of the real test at all.

kaplan verbal is garbage and way too easy. just use the AAMC ones.

kaplan verbal is garbage and way too easy. just use the AAMC ones.

You serious? Way to easy!? Maybe on Kaplan 1-4 or something. The Qbank and sectionals are insanely hard! I'd say that they are NOT conducive to doing well on the MCAT because they force you to think in a way that is slightly different from how you should be thinking on the real MCAT. I would only practice with kaplan's verbal if you are a few months before your exam. In that situation I suppose they could have some value. Just don't use them very close to your exam date. If you have to use anything, I liked the TPR verbal workbook but I doubt that you can find it if you didn't take a course.

You serious? Way to easy!? Maybe on Kaplan 1-4 or something. The Qbank and sectionals are insanely hard! I'd say that they are NOT conducive to doing well on the MCAT because they force you to think in a way that is slightly different from how you should be thinking on the real MCAT. I would only practice with kaplan's verbal if you are a few months before your exam. In that situation I suppose they could have some value. Just don't use them very close to your exam date. If you have to use anything, I liked the TPR verbal workbook but I doubt that you can find it if you didn't take a course.

would you still recommend getting Qbank to practice/study for MCAT? Or should we stay away from it?

If you have access to a comparable number of other MCAT type questions, I'd say that you don't need it. To be fair, I DID do all of the Qbank...and it could have helped me. Some of the passages were just simply mind-boggling. The discretes I thought were very good though.

Thanks for the confirmation. I can't believe some of the people on here are saying that the Kaplan VR sectionals are easy. I think they have the hardest VR material out there. Some of the questions may be easy, but the passages are extremely dense, and many of the questions can be extremely ambiguous.

I will have to try out the TPR workbook. I do seem to remember that they had decent VR section.

have any of you guys/gals tried the gold standard CBT tests?

I thought the verbal passages were really long, couldn't focus through the full test...

I take Kaplan sectionals also and the only thing I've come up with for lower scoring is that the breakdown is different. Have you considered that Section test 1 and 2 lack easy questions and contain a bunch of hard/very hard? After looking it made sense to me, and I almost like it. I think Kaplan seems different because of the high frequency of hard problems. I could be wrong but I think its helping. I plan on taking all 13 of them. The 60-70% scores kinda suck .