People who are planning to attend Tufts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Viraj

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering if any of you have started looking for housing in Boston. I was looking through the websites, and found a lot of stuff around Backbay area. I did talk with few people when I was there for the interview, they did told me that Backbay area is pretty nice and close from the school. I was also wondering if you guys are going to have a roommate or rather live by yourself. Did any of you are thinking of living in the Posner Hall. What is the procedure for signing up for that.
As you could see I am too confused, so any replies would be appreciated.
Viraj

Members don't see this ad.

I'm attending Tufts this fall and I plan on living in Charlestown with my brother. I'm a couple of blocks away from the orange line and only five stops from chinatown/tufts med center. i think posner is first come/first serve so i would contact the school to see when they are accepting requests for it. Pretty much everywhere in boston is pretty expensive to live. its cheaper just outside of boston--ie. somerville, medford etc. South of boston, some people live in allston-brighton, quincy--although i don't know too much. i grew up north of boston and know that area a little bit better. most of my friends and my brothers friends will be living in the medford-somerville-charlestown area. hope this helps

Thanx for your reply. I am curious when you say five stops away, does that mean about 10-15 minutes travel time. Or is it even less. I really wanna live close to the school, as I am going to be new to that area, and would rather live close, than places which takes a long time to commute. I would really appreciate your help if you could tell me which areas are near to the school.
Thanx again, and will definately see you in the fall.
Viraj

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the subway ride is about 10-15 minutes. I know my friends dad said he could walk to new england med center in about 20-25 minutes from charlestown.

Guys,

Word of warning... avoid Posner. It's not worth it. Trusssst me. It's distracting, it's not a very nice set of dorms. You're better off trying to find your own place. Downtown is pretty expensive. But if you look, you'll probably find something decent for a price that won't *kill* you. hehehe.

I'm a freshman at Tufts. I know I've come in to say hi to the applicants a couple of times. So maybe I saw you guys.

In any case, good luck with your search!

Sincerely,
Mo.

PS. I hope to see you next year.

I was in Boston on Monday and Tuesday this week to check out the dorms and talk to people about apartments vs. dorms... I have some positives and negatives about dorms...

positives
1)Its right next to Tufts dental... u can walk to class and if u need to study the body for gross, you dont have to go far.
2) You dont have to find an apartment.
3) No daily commuting charge.
4) You will get to know your classmates better.
Negatives
1) LOUD
2) It feels like you never leave school.
3) Bad neighborhood.Unsafe
4) I have heard the bathrooms are nasty.
5) Expensive. (over 700 a month)
6) TINY.
7) No cable, no ethernet, no AC

There are only 4 T-lines in Boston. Tufts is on the Orange line... so if you get an apartment near the orange line it could be great... but if you get it on the green line then you have to transfer twice... its a pain... so you should look at that if you are looking for an apartment. I hope i helped someone... i am really stuck between the dorms and apartment right now. If anyone has anything else to add i would appreciate it. :confused: