GCS-15

2+ Year Member
Aug 4, 2015
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
For the people that scored well on psych/soc - what did you use to study?
I'm currently doing the AAMC soc q pack and there are SO many random vocab terms that I have NEVER seen before. I used TPR and Kaplan books, but there's still terms they didn't cover.

Is there another resource that covers all the terms used?

Thanks!

SoppyElk

2+ Year Member
Sep 28, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Anki does wonders for remembering vocab. Make a new flashcard every time you come across a term you haven't seen before. Sometimes though it's just intuition on those random terms. Can't know them all so you gotta use POE best you can.

OP
GCS-15

GCS-15

2+ Year Member
Aug 4, 2015
Status
Anki does wonders for remembering vocab. Make a new flashcard every time you come across a term you haven't seen before. Sometimes though it's just intuition on those random terms. Can't know them all so you gotta use POE best you can.
Yea, I realized that POE works out way better than trying to find the right one. But there's still some annoying problems where I think: if I had just known the definition, I could have gotten it right! o_O

Lucca

Will Walk Rope for Sandwich
Staff member
Administrator
5+ Year Member
Oct 22, 2013
City of the Future
Status
Medical Student
I did Anki with all of the terms from TPR anything I found on practice exams that wasn't listed. That's basically it. The rest is essentially a CARS Bio hybrid.

Didn't take psych or soc in college and it ended up being tied for my highest section lol

tjo422

2+ Year Member
Jun 21, 2016
Status
I watched all of the Khan videos on double speed, literally all of them, and did well. After reading Kaplan and EK, I did the Psych/Soc AAMC Section Bank and felt like I didn't know half of what was asked, which is why I watched all of the videos.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: To be MD
OP
GCS-15

GCS-15

2+ Year Member
Aug 4, 2015
Status
I watched all of the Khan videos on double speed, literally all of them, and did well. After reading Kaplan and EK, I did the Psych/Soc AAMC Section Bank and felt like I didn't know half of what was asked, which is why I watched all of the videos.

Sounds like I need to take a look at those videos

spicynuggetfiend

2+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2015
Status
Medical Student
This. Also if you're with Kaplan or Princeton Review, be sure to supplement them with Khan Academy and the AAMC Q packs

Tutor526

2+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2016
Status
Medical Student
1 prep book (any company) + Khan Academy + AAMC = everything you need

summergirl

7+ Year Member
Feb 28, 2012
Status
Medical Student
I did a lot of practice tests and wrote down every term I didn't know on a piece of paper. I then study what's on that piece of paper.

lexswift

Membership Revoked
Removed
Jul 2, 2016
Did you all look at the KA MCAT stuff only or their general videos for Bio, Chem, Phys and Biochem?

Jan 14, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
I also freaked out after doing the AAMC soc q pack after having used strictly TPR and skimming TBR, but it turned out fine (132). I would suggest TPR by far (everything I saw on my test, I saw in TPR), supplemented by another prep company like TBR or KA, and doing flashcards on the side. Ultimately, I think, it'll come down to a bit of luck regarding the test that you get, but during preparation, you will never be able see all the possible vocab words that may come up, so just do your best to see as many as you can! Good luck!

Reactions: GCS-15

The_Bird

OvO
Bronze Donor
7+ Year Member
Jun 26, 2011
Status
Medical Student
EK supplemented by KA and upper div. psych coursework.

----x----

2+ Year Member
Apr 19, 2015
Status
I learn vocab/memorization best by making large study guides, then refining the guide. It connects concepts and terms, and sort of is like learning it then teaching it to myself. The guide can then be used as a reference.

Raised my psych/soc by 4 points in 1 week. (126 on AAMC practice test 7 days before test date, 130 at test date).
your mileage may vary. I didn't study anything but psych/soc for that time as it was my lowest section.

NimbleNavigator

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
Mar 15, 2016
Just FYI - your title should instead read "People who did well", not "people who did good."

IDK why but that's just the rule.

Reactions: spicynuggetfiend
Feb 6, 2014
Status
Hi, I had a good result on psych/sociology despite not having any sociology coursework and one psych course years ago (129 score). I studied with the following:

Psychology: A Concise Introduction 4th Edition - this book was a great resource and covered things AAMC tested on practice materials that weren't covered in my prep books
Princeton Review Psych book
Examkrackers Psych book
Khan Academy material

Lost In Transcription

reports of my assimilation are greatly exaggerated
2+ Year Member
Apr 2, 2016
Probably still at work
1) KHAN ACADEMY! The questions SUCK but the lecture material is great.
2) AAMC practice bank. DO. THIS. Look up EVERY definition, even of answers that aren't correct but you still aren't familiar with.

This alone got me a decent score (129)

NimbleNavigator

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
Mar 15, 2016
1) KHAN ACADEMY! The questions SUCK but the lecture material is great.
I disagree. Khan Academy Psych/Soc practice problems are some of the best out there, in my opinion. (Not to be a douche, but just to make my credentials known - my score was higher than 129)

tjo422

2+ Year Member
Jun 21, 2016
Status
I disagree. Khan Academy Psych/Soc practice problems are some of the best out there, in my opinion. (Not to be a douche, but just to make my credentials known - my score was higher than 129)
To each their own I suppose. I also scored higher, and thought the questions weren't the best. The learning happens in the explanations, and the style of the questions didn't mesh well in my opinion. I think the AAMC Section Bank is the best practice you can do for that section.

Lost In Transcription

reports of my assimilation are greatly exaggerated
2+ Year Member
Apr 2, 2016
Probably still at work
They have the most potential, but no, the questions are absolutely not consistent.

Not only did the question sets have actual CS bugs, but occasionally they would be literally, factually incorrect. I emailed them 2 times to get it changed and they did.

Also, the passage style is nothing at ALL like the AAMC or the real MCAT. The standalone questions are pretty good, yes. The passages are not at all like AAMC. Might as well be doing Kaplan or TPR at that point.

Also, Khan doesn't give you explanations for the correct answer if you get it wrong. So not much learning.