People who drop out of pharmacy school for reason other than grades

renetto

Removed
Dec 30, 2009
Status
Pharmacy Student
Do these people even exist? I was having a discussion with someone recently and they were telling me about a P2 that dropped out of pharmacy school. I asked them if it was grades and they told me they were a Rho Chi bound student. I found him on Facebook and had a good conversation about how things were going. He dropped out to pursue a computer engineering degree and is living a good life in San Francisco.

I thought that was interesting not because of what he's doing now but that he dropped out on his own accord. Does anybody else know of someone like that and the reasons they dropped out?

EDIT: I forgot to add that I know a guy who dropped P1 year to become a state trooper.

diastole

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2008
Where the sun don't shine
Status
Pharmacist
I have heard of people dropping out because they had to take care of a sick family member. I assume they will come back when they can.

nicolemsm

5+ Year Member
Jun 17, 2009
Do these people even exist? I was having a discussion with someone recently and they were telling me about a P2 that dropped out of pharmacy school. I asked them if it was grades and they told me they were a Rho Chi bound student. I found him on Facebook and had a good conversation about how things were going. He dropped out to pursue a computer engineering degree and is living a good life in San Francisco.

I thought that was interesting not because of what he's doing now but that he dropped out on his own accord. Does anybody else know of someone like that and the reasons they dropped out?

EDIT: I forgot to add that I know a guy who dropped P1 year to become a state trooper.
...you sure know a lot of people :)

njac

10+ Year Member
Mar 20, 2005
Now headed all the way west!
Status
Pharmacist
one classmate died of cancer.

Another's grandmother died and he quit to take over the family business (he was #1 in our class)

I think that's all that we lost that was not due to grades - and those didn't drop out, they just dropped down a class (or two)

Sparda29

En Taro Adun
10+ Year Member
Mar 25, 2008
New York, New York
Status
Pharmacist
We only lost 1 due to grades but that person just dropped into the Class of 2013. Other two that we lost: one of them was no longer interested in pharmacy after IPPEs, other one had to go take care of her mother who has sarcoidosis.

Argentium

10+ Year Member
Jan 24, 2009
Status
Pharmacy Student
I go to a 0-6 school, so like 30% of my class drops out. A lot cause of grades, a lot because they dont like pharmacy/science, and a lot because they're doing pre-med or the 7 year med program here ('trading up')

scavok

Accepted!
10+ Year Member
Apr 10, 2008
Westminster, CO
Status
Pharmacy Student
Not completely quitting, but considered stepping out for a year for a messy divorce; though now my grades sucked it up this term because of it so we'll see if I should have!

thedrunkenpharm

5+ Year Member
Mar 10, 2010
Status
Pharmacist
I've heard of a few P2's who dropped to become nurses and police officers.

Some left due to family and finances.

It's rare, but it happens. Pharmacy isn't for everyone...even the people who get in.

Moxxie

Rained out
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 20, 2005
Temperate Rainforest
Status
Resident [Any Field]
In addition to losing a few people due to grades (both of them are now in the class below me), we lost one person in our class b/c she realized after one semester that pharmacy wasn't for her and that teaching was her passion. Another guy is now in the class of 2011 because he got very sick p2 year (turned out to be benign lung cancer - he's minus 1/3 of a lung but thankfully is healthy now). One of the guys in our class was supposed to graduate in 2009 but he took time off when his daughter was born - she had to be in the NICU for several months.

In the class below me, they lost one guy within the first few weeks b/c he freaked out about getting a C on his first exam (so kind of due to grades, but mostly due to anxiety), and another guy quit a couple of months in because he got into firefighter school, which is what he really wanted to do. There is a married couple who started in 2007 but they each took a semester off due to finances - they are both set to graduate now in 2012 instead of 2011.

There was another guy who kept having to come back because he was active duty and kept getting deployed. As far as I know he still hasn't graduated, even though he should have been in the class of 2005 or 2006.

I only know of one person who completely dropped out of our program due to grades - he was given the opportunity to come back if he pulled his act together, but he chose not to. He is now a P1 at another school in another state (he would be a p3 if he had kept his grades up).

UBCmicrobi

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 22, 2007
Vancouver
Status
Pharmacy Student
The only person we have lost so far got into Dent, if that counts.

ucrx

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 23, 2007
Connecticut
Status
Pharmacist
My class lost one to med school after P2 year, one to drugs, one to cancer, and one just disappeared from class with a month left of P3 year. We did have a few people stay back a year for grades, but they're still in pharmacy school.

thedrunkenpharm

5+ Year Member
Mar 10, 2010
Status
Pharmacist
Lost one to law and another one got kicked out in 4th yr for calling a preceptor a b*tch......smart move....after some counseling might be let back in....:laugh:
Gawd...I remember having a short fuse with my preceptors but I never expressed it verbally or externally. Good thing I kept it in.