People Who Get Into Medical School But Don't Become Doctors/Medical Researchers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hexon

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
how do you feel about ppl who get accepted into medical school, probably do the whole 4 years or simply drop out and don't end up doing medicine or anything medically related.

classic example, jay sean who was accepted into medical school but dropped out to pursue his singing career

personally, i'm a bit disturbed by this; i mean sure, jay sean has talent and can sing and is free to do wtf he wants with his life but he pretty much took up someone else's spot in medical school; perhaps someone who would've committed themselves to medicine and helping ppl. what a goddam waste.

what do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

So you mean to tell me that the admissions process is not perfect? Or even more newsworthy, that not all med school attendees still enjoy medicine by graduation? This is my shocked face :eek:

This reminds me of the NOVA "Becoming a Doctor" series where Cheryl graduated Harvard but did not practice medicine. She's a part of some charitable organization but she is not a practicing physician.

I'm not her so I can't comment on her reasons but I don't get why you would go to medical school and not practice medicine.

She's helping people today but in a different way.

To each there own.

Members don't see this ad :)
how do you feel about ppl who get accepted into medical school, probably do the whole 4 years or simply drop out and don't end up doing medicine or anything medically related.

classic example, jay sean who was accepted into medical school but dropped out to pursue his singing career

personally, i'm a bit disturbed by this; i mean sure, jay sean has talent and can sing and is free to do wtf he wants with his life but he pretty much took up someone else's spot in medical school; perhaps someone who would've committed themselves to medicine and helping ppl. what a goddam waste.

what do you guys think?

I wonder what Jay Sean got on his MCAT...

what do you guys think?

Who cares? Why should people feel entitled to that spot just because the person didn't graduate?

Pretty illogical in my view.

Who cares? Why should people feel entitled to that spot just because the person didn't graduate?

Pretty illogical in my view.

if you didn't have the heart to do the hard yards and commit yourself to medicine, then why the heck would you do it? you're just wasting resources and taking up someone else's spot in medical school.

see, i don't have a problem with ken jeong who became a full fledged doctor and treated patients because at least he used his degree and then decided to do standup and become an actor

Uh, I don't blame them. People become disenchanted with medicine or have a change of heart or are forced into pursuing medicine in the first place. They're humans after all. If they want to drop out or not practice then that's their choice.

Uh, I don't blame them. People become disenchanted with medicine or have a change of heart or are forced into pursuing medicine in the first place. If they want to drop out or not practice then that's their choice.

well that's why in the US, potential medical students are expected to do some shadowing with doctors so they can get an idea of what being a doctor's like.

as for ppl having a change of heart, well i think that's a shame really. for ppl who are forced into pursuing medicine by their parents, i won't even get into it.

well that's why in the US, potential medical students are expected to do some shadowing with doctors so they can get an idea of what being a doctor's like.
You think shadowing is anywhere close to what being a doctor is like? :laugh:

You think shadowing is anywhere close to what being a doctor is like? :laugh:

the rationale for shadowing is so that ppl who want to become doctors get an idea of what being a doctor's like.
i woudln't say it's a 100% representation fo what someone's life is going to be like afterwards

He went to the UK so the financial burden was a lot less and he was able to quit without massive financial repercussions.. The debt incurred by many American medical students makes quitting a huge risk... so I don't feel anything other than "I sure hope that guy makes it and can make up for his debt"... Its that persons life, so they can live it how they want.

Members don't see this ad :)
the rationale for shadowing is so that ppl who want to become doctors get an idea of what being a doctor's like.
i woudln't say it's a 100% representation fo what someone's life is going to be like afterwards
The rationale is for adcoms to see that you have an interest in what doctors do. It's not for the purpose of putting you in the doctor's own shoes for adcoms to see whether you actually like the lifestyle or not. That is simply impossible to gauge through shadowing because you don't have the medical school or residency experiences or the bestowed responsibility to see if you actually like the lifestyle.

It's easy for a pre-med to go all bright-eyed while shadowing a doctor without realising shadowing allows you to see what doctors do without putting you in their position.

This reminds me of the NOVA "Becoming a Doctor" series where Cheryl graduated Harvard but did not practice medicine. She's a part of some charitable organization but she is not a practicing physician.

I'm not her so I can't comment on her reasons but I don't get why you would go to medical school and not practice medicine.

She's helping people today but in a different way.

To each there own.

THAT was such a big let down, that really did suck, you know? I watched the show to see students become doctors and actually stick to it and practice. They should've just cut her out honestly.
But to the OP, I don't really care what other people do, another person that is actually dedicated and actually knows that they want to become a doctor will take their spot.

what do you guys think?

Jay Sean was in medical school? For cereal?

hahaha

if you didn't have the heart to do the hard yards and commit yourself to medicine, then why the heck would you do it? you're just wasting resources and taking up someone else's spot in medical school.

see, i don't have a problem with ken jeong who became a full fledged doctor and treated patients because at least he used his degree and then decided to do standup and become an actor

Again, why do you care? What difference does it make to you?

what do you guys think?
I think you need to worry about yourself. People can make their own decisions.

lol this reminds me of that poster who said that she hated people who chose to apply out of guaranteed bs/md programs and "literally wanted to kill them for ruining someone else's life"

i think it's a safe bet that she was rejected at the many bs/md programs she applied to in hs :laugh:

Again, why do you care? What difference does it make to you?

perhaps none, but does that preclude me from having an opinion?

why shouldn't i be perturbed by this?
well suppose for instance that it came down to a tossup between you and <someone like jay sean> for a certain medical school, and they chose him rather than you who i'm assuming is/are motivated enough to take the entire 4 years.

lol this reminds me of that poster who said that she hated people who chose to apply out of guaranteed bs/md programs and "literally wanted to kill them for ruining someone else's life"

i think it's a safe bet that she was rejected at the many bs/md programs she applied to in hs :laugh:

i don't see what her problem was; assuming that eventually those ppl applying are going to become doctors

i don't see what her problem was; assuming that eventually those ppl applying are going to become doctors

her example is even worse than yours. At least in that situation the med school can fill in the vacancy of the student that applied out.

Also why do you care if someone that was more qualified than you took your spot and then decided against it? why should they care about you or anybody else that they beat out for it?

you sound like a professional sports player complaining about the other team running up the score. if you don't like it then don't let them score (or in this case outscore them).

perhaps none, but does that preclude me from having an opinion?

why shouldn't i be perturbed by this?
well suppose for instance that it came down to a tossup between you and <someone like jay sean> for a certain medical school, and they chose him rather than you who i'm assuming is/are motivated enough to take the entire 4 years.

Well, if you are motivated and didn't get accepted while he is UNmotivated and gets accepted, that really shows that your app is lacking quite a lot of things, eh?

Plus getting into medical school in the UK is a completely different ball game than in the US.

Plus Jay Sean has YMCMB behind him.

Well, if you are motivated and didn't get accepted while he is UNmotivated and gets accepted, that really shows that your app is lacking quite a lot of things, eh?

Plus getting into medical school in the UK is a completely different ball game than in the US.

Plus Jay Sean has YMCMB behind him.

Yeah, medical school admissions in the UK is cake walk in comparison.

her example is even worse than yours. At least in that situation the med school can fill in the vacancy of the student that applied out.
you misread me, i was agreeing with you; i didn't see what her problem was; those students would eventually become doctors.

another thing; i'm not begrudging them for being good enough to get accepted; i'm begrudging them for not going through the whole 4 years and using their degree, rather, dropping out, wasting a medical placement and costing society a potential doctor

Last edited:
you misread me, i was agreeing with you; i didn't see what her problem was; those students would eventually become doctors.

another thing; i'm not begrudging them for being good enough to get accepted; i'm begrudging them for not going through the whole 4 years and using their degree, rather, dropping out, wasting a medical placement and costing society a potential doctor

So basically you want authoritarian control of physicians from the point they enter medical school... They don't owe society and they don't owe you. If they want to drop out during school, or not do a residency and work somewhere else, or work part time - its really up to them isn't it? Be competitive enough to get a spot of your own and stop worrying about others.

What is your opinion on MD's who become Pharm reps or medical officers at research firms?

So basically you want authoritarian control of physicians from the point they enter medical school... They don't owe society and they don't owe you. If they want to drop out during school, or not do a residency and work somewhere else, or work part time - its really up to them isn't it? Be competitive enough to get a spot of your own and stop worrying about others.

what? what??

authoritarian control of physicianjs??!! where the heck did you get that from you post? all i was expressing was a 'that sucks that xyz happened', and here you think i'm quoting 1984?:p

chill out.

What is your opinion on MD's who become Pharm reps or medical officers at research firms?

good for them, they're using their degree and since they've graduated, they're not taking up a spot that could've gone to someone who would complete the whole 4 yrs, same as they did

what? what??

authoritarian control of physicianjs??!! where the heck did you get that from you post? all i was expressing was a 'that sucks that xyz happened', and here you think i'm quoting 1984?:p

chill out.

Haha, I'm just extending your sentiment.

But the true limit on US doctors is in residency matching, not in med school admissions.
yet medical school admissions, especially in the US, are highly competitive;

btw wouldnt a US doctor be able to complete a residency program in canada?

good for them, they're using their degree and since they've graduated, they're not taking up a spot that could've gone to someone who would complete the whole 4 yrs, same as they did

Ok now this makes no sense. You seem to have indicated that your opposition to people dropping out is that society needs doctors - that would place people who choose not to be a traditional doctor in the same group as those who dropped out. Yet you favor one those who work in alternate fields with MD behind their name? :confused:

yet medical school admissions, especially in the US, are highly competitive;

btw wouldnt a US doctor be able to complete a residency program in canada?

Yes, but it is harder, numbers wise, to get into a similar residency position in Canada. Except FM.

Ok now this makes no sense. You seem to have indicated that your opposition to people dropping out is that society needs doctors - that would place people who choose not to be a traditional doctor in the same group as those who dropped out. Yet you favor one those who work in alternate fields with MD behind their name? :confused:

usually those alternate fields include medical research which still benefits society, no?
even michael crichton did research after getting his MD.

besides, it's almost inconceivable-but i'm sure it's happened-where someone who's slaved away for 4 years, gets their degree and then decides to go into say acting or real estate.

Several people in my class, at a very competitive school, "wasted" their spot, "ruining the lives of those whose applications they bested".:rolleyes: 2 got kicked out for cheating, one quit a month or so in, one had problems and had to repeat the 1st year, 2 never were going to practice medicine (both were going into business/Med VC), one dropped out into business ventures in his 4th year, and one graduated and went to law school, one also dropped out after 2nd year to "take a year off" when she got pregnant, I'm not sure if she came back or not, she definitely took more than one year off. That's at least 9 "wasted" seats in my class by graduation, though 2 may be practicing now.
Another 2, that I know, were very wealthy. They both work less than 1/2 time now. More "wasted" spots? I'm certain a few more changed careers since than as well, or at least are non clinical now in research or business. That's the way it is in the real world. You see an opportunity and you take it. Many that start, or even finish medical school end up not practicing clinical medicine.
Don't waste any time worrying about what other people do with their lives and their opportunities. You'll live longer.

J Sean has touched more lives singing than he probably would have as a doctor. He will be forever implanted in the hearts of millions of adolescent girls.

Several people in my class, at a very competitive school, "wasted" their spot, "ruining the lives of those whose applications they bested".:rolleyes: 2 got kicked out for cheating, one quit a month or so in, one had problems and had to repeat the 1st year, 2 never were going to practice medicine (both were going into business/Med VC), one dropped out into business ventures in his 4th year, and one graduated and went to law school, one also dropped out after 2nd year to "take a year off" when she got pregnant, I'm not sure if she came back or not, she definitely took more than one year off. That's at least 9 "wasted" seats in my class by graduation, though 2 may be practicing now.
Another 2, that I know, were very wealthy. They both work less than 1/2 time now. More "wasted" spots? I'm certain a few more changed careers since than as well, or at least are non clinical now in research or business. That's the way it is in the real world. You see an opportunity and you take it. Many that start, or even finish medical school end up not practicing clinical medicine.
Don't waste any time worrying about what other people do with their lives and their opportunities. You'll live longer.

good points

what do you guys think?
It tickles me when people think they are entitled to a spot in medical school just because they want to be there.

It tickles me when people think they are entitled to a spot in medical school just because they want to be there.

is that meant to be a side jibe directed at me?

amazing how personal some ppl are taking this thread

amazing how personal some ppl are taking this thread

Amazing how people don't like being told what they should/shouldn't do or how they are/aren't serving society by a pre-med...

Amazing how people don't like being told what they should/shouldn't do or how they are/aren't serving society by a pre-med...

well you can't. i order you to be a doctor for the rest of your life

It's a free country, pretty much, so it's hard to portray as unethical.

Gotta say I'm jelly though

I'm going to med school just so I can put "M.D." at the end of my name.

I'll probably go into marketing or something. :rolleyes:

what do you guys think?

I think everyone has a dream career that they would rather do than medicine, jay sean was lucky enough he could do his.

My personal fav are the people who make it through med school only to drop out their first year of residency. /hopeyourparentsarerich