people who have been accepted with mediocre stats

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

silas2642

silas2642
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay so I really really want to get into Tufts. I won't find out until December though, I have average stats (3.6 and 30)... are they going to waitlist me based on the fact that I'm not a stellar applicant? I want you people who who don't have stellar stats to post here and let me know that you got in without the waitlist somewhere. Please encourage me!

Members don't see this ad.

I have pretty similar numbers to yours. Look at my profile. Good luck to you!

30 and 3.5 are not average for applicants, they are average for accepted students, so you're in good shape. However, be sure to write great secondaries and be sure to perform in your interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)
i really want to go to tufts too. i have a 29 with a 3.52.

1 acceptance so far with 28P and 3.6.

xraygray said:
1 acceptance so far with 28P and 3.6.

That's awesome; congratulations!! Where were you accepted?

gary5 said:
30 and 3.5 are not average for applicants, they are average for accepted students, so you're in good shape. However, be sure to write great secondaries and be sure to perform in your interviews.

i wonder what the "average" scores and gpas would be if all URM applicants were excluded...?

not meant to cause any URM discussion flame wars, just honestly wondering how realistic this "30 mcat, 3.6 gpa" median line is, because it seems like people with these type of numbers are having a hard time getting interviews, myself included. maybe it's actually something more like 32 mcat, 3.7 gpa or something? or maybe the percentage of accepted URM is low enough to not affect it much anyways.

It would probably be the same, seeing that URMs make up such a small number of matriculants anyway. The funny part about the math here is you think that less than 20% at each school is going to move the average scores down for MCAT and GPAs.

bubbleyum said:
i wonder what the "average" scores and gpas would be if all URM applicants were excluded...?

not meant to cause any URM discussion flame wars, just honestly wondering how realistic this "30 mcat, 3.6 gpa" median line is, because it seems like people with these type of numbers are having a hard time getting interviews, myself included. maybe it's actually something more like 32 mcat, 3.7 gpa or something? or maybe the percentage of accepted URM is low enough to not affect it much anyways.

28R, ~3.5, 1 acceptance so far.

i have "average" stats, and have been accepted at 3 schools. you can look at my mdapp. page. i think schools appreciate diverse life experiences rather than strictly numbers.

good luck!

JTHURMA said:
It would probably be the same, seeing that URMs make up such a small number of matriculants anyway. The funny part about the math here is you think that less than 20% at each school is going to move the average scores down for MCAT and GPAs.

like i said, maybe it didn't affect it much because of the low percentage. and 20% is not such a small number, i didn't even think it was that much. we all know what one C on your transcript after 3-4 full years worth of credit hours can do to your overall gpa. i've seen some 24-26 mcat scores getting accepted so i was just wondering.

silas2642 said:
Okay so I really really want to get into Tufts. I won't find out until December though, I have average stats (3.6 and 30)... are they going to waitlist me based on the fact that I'm not a stellar applicant? I want you people who who don't have stellar stats to post here and let me know that you got in without the waitlist somewhere. Please encourage me!

Look at my MDapplicants profile. Consider yourself encouraged.

i consider myself pretty mediocre if you don't look at the details (i.e., the upward trend and post-bac showing), but i've been extremely fortunate in this cycle. pm me if you want details.

Members don't see this ad :)
ExtraAverage said:
Look at my MDapplicants profile. Consider yourself encouraged.

Congrats on Loyola, Extra Average!

Chopianista said:
Congrats on Loyola, Extra Average!

Thank you Chopianista. I figure somebody needs to represent for the people without the 39 MCAT and 3.9 undergrad GPA.

Its likely to be less... however no one can argue that the great majority are those that would have the most impact on the averages...

If we were talking about the scores that most matriculants/per school, got for MCAT and GPA, that would be different

bubbleyum said:
like i said, maybe it didn't affect it much because of the low percentage. and 20% is not such a small number, i didn't even think it was that much. we all know what one C on your transcript after 3-4 full years worth of credit hours can do to your overall gpa. i've seen some 24-26 mcat scores getting accepted so i was just wondering.

Do you even think 20% of med schools are URM's and then ur assuming that all of the URM's in Med school have below average scores. i would say medicore stats are more like 3.2-3.4 and like 25-28. If you have a 3.6 and 30 your most likley going to get in somewhere if the rest of your application is good

i've got a good MCAT but definitely sub-par GPA and i've gotten two acceptances and a post-interview waitlist so far...so long live mediocrity :cool:

27 mcat and 3.9 gpa. granted the gpa helped a bit, but a 7 on PS!! I don't know bout you, but I'd say it's below mediocre!

dragonmate said:
27 mcat and 3.9 gpa. granted the gpa helped a bit, but a 7 on PS!! I don't know bout you, but I'd say it's below mediocre!

congrats dragonmate...where did you get in?

bubbleyum said:

First, people with 24-26 mcat scores would not afftect the mean because there are enough people in 34-45 range to negate any impact.

Second, you should look at the median scores in the MSAR to get an idea of who's getting in. Ex, if the median is 30 and the school has maybe 10-15% URM then the other 35-40% has to be everyone else.

you can check out my mdapplicants profile...28 MCAT, 3.6 GPA, but i've faired quite well in this application cycle! yeah, so i'm a black female, and you could say that's why i got in, but i'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that it's not! :eek:

you've got a solid chance with "mediocre" numbers, particularly if the rest of your application is strong. good luck :)

JTHURMA said:

20% of the scores being substantially lower will, indeed, affect the averages. According to MSAR, the average GPA of a black matriculant is 3.36, while for white it is 3.66. For MCATs, it is 8.4 and 10.2. I would say that those numbers are far enough apart to make a difference in the averages in the following way:

To make a grossly simple exageration, assume this year's matriculating class is 20% black and 80% white (sorry all you other wonderful, interesting, non-bichromatic people out there), then the average with the way things really are is (3.66+3.66+3.66+3.66+3.36)/5=3.60. Now, in make believe, it doesn't make a difference-land (sorry, I'm kidding around), it would be 3.66. For MCATs, it is an average of 9.8 compared with 10.2. Not a fantastic difference in either case, but when the standard deviation is 0.3 and 1.6, respectively, you are looking at 25% of one standard deviation, approximately. Since 64% of students fall within 1 standard deviation of the mean and there was 16,648 matriculants in 2004, we are talking about a difference of 2,663 students either way, above or below the mean, which is not insignificant.

I for one, support consideration of URM status (and general socioeconomic status) as a consideration in admissions decisions since people are sh*&ty and won't do the right thing themselves, and thus must be compelled to. But I am not trying to make a statement either way with the above, just trying to frame the argument loosely with some actual numbers.

somewhere2010 said:
you can check out my mdapplicants profile...28 MCAT, 3.6 GPA, but i've faired quite well in this application cycle! yeah, so i'm a black female, and you could say that's why i got in, but i'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that it's not! :eek:

you've got a solid chance with "mediocre" numbers, particularly if the rest of your application is strong. good luck :)

That's always the danger it seems, is declaring things absolutely, e.g., ". . .you could say that's why i got in. . ." Who, seriously, would think that was the only reason you got in. The fact of the matter is, it is entirely likely it was a factor in your admission (and rightly so, in my opinion, so hold your fire), and depending on the school, perhaps a substantial one. It think that is referred to as a setting up a straw man (i.e. proposing an alternative, often charicaturistic, argument as that espoused by your critics, when it is actually beside the point) and it seems we all do it way too often. It does not help things for URMs, I think, to deny the obvious (i.e. that their URM status helps them get admitted with lower stats), argue instead, why it should be so.

einnewt said:
It does not help things for URMs, I think, to deny the obvious (i.e. that their URM status helps them get admitted with lower stats), argue instead, why it should be so.

I can practically hear the gathering storm. Sorry if my post will be the one which causes this thread to devolve into a dichotomous, absolutist, ranting incoherence (let us hope against hope it will not).

einnewt said:
I wrote a lot of stuff and you can read it all right above this so don't quote my entire f-in message.
Ok, maybe I got your quote wrong.

FYI - and you know your 20% was a gross exaggeration but the numbers are way less.
http://www.aamc.org/data/facts/2004/2004sumyrs.htm
17,662 people were accepted for 2004.
1242 were hispanic.
1160 were black.
64 were native american/hawaiian.
That's like 13%, off the top of my head.
You can get the actual scores and grades for URM matriculants here: http://www.aamc.org/data/facts/2004/mcatgparaceeth.htm, but they are the same as the numbers you cited from the MSAR.
They aren't that far below non-URMs... but you said that.
I'm not trying to pick a fight or anything... but the data is available, we might as well make use of it to dispel any myths. But if we do that, will SDN be nearly as fun? I mean, half of its appeal is its schoolyard charm: sometimes people get the details right and the point wrong.
sometimes people get the details wrong and the point right.
sometimes people get the details wrong and the point wrong.
And sometimes the heavens align and people get the details right and the point wrong.
Caveat lector, I suppose.

dragonmate said:

Hey dragonmate!

You got accepted so quickly to the U of U. (Didn't you say you heard back within 3 weeks of your interview?) So, what's your secret? Do you have awesome essays and ECs? Great interview? You're a Utah resident, aren't you. U of U undergrad?

2.8 and 30R with 1 acceptance so far. I'm a nontrad, but not a URM by any means. Go figure.

somewhere2010 said:

Don’t let them fool you!!! You have earned and, DESERVE every acceptance you have received thus far. Congratulations :)

I was accepted a couple of weeks ago to MUO with a 3.24 and a 31 MCAT. The 3.24 included two F's, a D (In chemistry) and quite a few C's... I had a HUGE uptrend, though (solid A's w/ 1 or 2 B's for the last two years in the more difficult science classes), so perhaps that helped me some. I did no research, and volunteered in a hospital for only one quarter. I'm a 23 y/o white chick. I am still shocked I got in. Maybe my MCAT helped... it had a nice breakdown (11,10,10), but it wasn't fantastic by any means!

einnewt said:
Who, seriously, would think that was the only reason you got in. .
Many,many,many people on this site think race is the MAIN reason URM's get accepted. It's not so strange. Just a reflection on just how ignorant and bitter some folks really are.

Doesn't your socioeconomic status consider who's a minority or not? Why would an African American/Hispanic who comes from a mid-upper class family be considered a minority?

einnewt said:
That's always the danger it seems, is declaring things absolutely, e.g., ". . .you could say that's why i got in. . ." Who, seriously, would think that was the only reason you got in. The fact of the matter is, it is entirely likely it was a factor in your admission (and rightly so, in my opinion, so hold your fire), and depending on the school, perhaps a substantial one. It think that is referred to as a setting up a straw man (i.e. proposing an alternative, often charicaturistic, argument as that espoused by your critics, when it is actually beside the point) and it seems we all do it way too often. It does not help things for URMs, I think, to deny the obvious (i.e. that their URM status helps them get admitted with lower stats), argue instead, why it should be so.

in fact, several people have admitted to thinking that URM status plays a dominant role in promoting someone above other "more qualified" people, i.e. people with better "stats"...i've gotten PMs about this and a rather extensive comment on my mdapplicants profile (help yourself, the link is below). i know that i am an extremely attractive candidate for many reasons, one of them being my double minority status. and i do downplay the minority status because i know plenty minorities for whom the medical school admissions process was no picnic...

people who think that minorities are getting an unfair advantage will continue to do so regardless of the phrasing of my comments, so i feel no need to tread lightly when discussing this topic. people just forget that this is not a numbers game (ahh, did i REALLY just say that? yeah...). schools just don't care as much as you think about a 30 vs. 35 MCAT...i've heard it said (in so many words) while being addressed by admissions officers during interview days. we just can't get past the MCAT and GPA as an overall gauge, and that's where we keep getting outselves into trouble. it's like only glancing at one's undergrad institution and ECs in deciding whether he or she is a competitive applicant. again, i'm sure i'm convincing no one here and only pleasing those who already agree, but what can i say, i like to ramble... :p

Would it be possible to NOT turn this thread into another URM's have it easier thread? I'm sooo tired.

cyclist05 said:
I was accepted a couple of weeks ago to MUO with a 3.24 and a 31 MCAT. The 3.24 included two F's, a D (In chemistry) and quite a few C's... I had a HUGE uptrend, though (solid A's w/ 1 or 2 B's for the last two years in the more difficult science classes), so perhaps that helped me some. I did no research, and volunteered in a hospital for only one quarter. I'm a 23 y/o white chick. I am still shocked I got in. Maybe my MCAT helped... it had a nice breakdown (11,10,10), but it wasn't fantastic by any means!

congrats to you! schools really do look closely at apps and could tell that you're a smart person who would make a good doctor, despite getting some bad grades! fancy that...

gdbaby said:
Would it be possible to NOT turn this thread into another URM's have it easier thread? I'm sooo tired.

the weather here in DC is beauuuuutiful...

oh, is this not what you meant? ehehe ummm, yay med school....?!

somewhere2010 said:
the weather here in DC is beauuuuutiful...

oh, is this not what you meant? ehehe ummm, yay med school....?!
Hee, hee! I just think so many of these threads are not very encouraging to use mediocre folks--regardless of ethnicity, socioeconomic background, or any other disadvantage. Having to wait another year to apply and possibly taking the MCAT again will be awful, regardless of your status.

somewhere2010 said:
the weather here in DC is beauuuuutiful..

Yes it is so I'll be taking abreak for the admin process today!!! :thumbup:

somewhere2010 said:
in fact, several people have admitted to thinking that URM status plays a dominant role in promoting someone above other "more qualified" people, i.e. people with better "stats"...i've gotten PMs about this and a rather extensive comment on my mdapplicants profile (help yourself, the link is below). i know that i am an extremely attractive candidate for many reasons, one of them being my double minority status. and i do downplay the minority status because i know plenty minorities for whom the medical school admissions process was no picnic...

people who think that minorities are getting an unfair advantage will continue to do so regardless of the phrasing of my comments, so i feel no need to tread lightly when discussing this topic. people just forget that this is not a numbers game (ahh, did i REALLY just say that? yeah...). schools just don't care as much as you think about a 30 vs. 35 MCAT...i've heard it said (in so many words) while being addressed by admissions officers during interview days. we just can't get past the MCAT and GPA as an overall gauge, and that's where we keep getting outselves into trouble. it's like only glancing at one's undergrad institution and ECs in deciding whether he or she is a competitive applicant. again, i'm sure i'm convincing no one here and only pleasing those who already agree, but what can i say, i like to ramble... :p

What I think is that having URM status just makes them look more closely at your application. You're not getting in because of your URM status, but it gets you past that initial "throw the apps with low MCAT scores in the garbage" round and then you're fighting on fairly level ground with the rest of us. It's just like being a legacy or something like that- an advantage but not enough to get you in unless you have fabulous ECs, which you do. Good luck!

somewhere2010 said:

Great post!

What people seem to forget is that medical school admissions is as much about STANDING OUT FROM THE CROWD as anything else!!!!!!! And with those EC's, anyone with half a brain could figure out that somewhere 2010 would get accepted somewhere, pun intended! The thing is that ANY applicant would those EC's would get accepted somewhere. I think the reason ORNM's (over represented non minorities :p ) on SDN get so bent out of shape is because many believe that the Ivy league would be out of their range due to the MCAT. That a URM with your stats and those EC's would have a better shot and there's some truth to that. But I ask the question: Is it more important for people to become a physician or to be an "Ivy League" physician? If folks are trippin' about not having a shot at the Ivy league versus a URM with the same profile, then the medical profession is better of without them.

1Path said:
Great post!

What people seem to forget is that medical school admissions is as much about STANDING OUT FROM THE CROWD as anything else!!!!!!! And with those EC's, anyone with half a brain could figure out that somewhere 2010 would get accepted somewhere, pun intended! The thing is that ANY applicant would those EC's would get accepted somewhere. I think the reason ORNM's (over represented non minorities :p ) on SDN get so bent out of shape is because many believe that the Ivy league would be out of their range due to the MCAT. That a URM with your stats and those EC's would have a better shot and there's some truth to that. But I ask the question: Is it more important for people to become a physician or to be an "Ivy League" physician? If folks are trippin' about not having a shot at the Ivy league versus a URM with the same profile, then the medical profession is better of without them.

I agree with you and masche, but I can also understand a certain amount of jealosy with URM's having a better shot at getting into a better school. I don't really think the school aspect is what bothers people (although I realize I don't speak for everyone and could be wrong). For me, it's that the admissions committee is less likely to take the time and get to know about me, because my stats aren't spectacular-- only average, while a URM status saves others with similar scores from a similar fate. I don't begrudge anyone who is able to stand out because of a URM status. It's just that I personally don't judge who someone is by their appearances or skin color, religion, etc., and it sucks to have an admissions committee judge me on criteria associated with any of the "ism's". (To whatever extent that is-- I'm not saying that I won't get in somewhere, strictly because I'm caucasian, but it certainly doesn't help me any.)

Ok, so this post really is kind of useless, but since I took the time to write it, I'm going to post it anyways. And on that note, let me express the most important point here... Congratulations somewhere 10! You really do have great EC's and are on your way to becoming an awesome Dr., I'm sure! :) :clap:

IDforMe said:
I agree with you and masche, but I can also understand a certain amount of jealosy with URM's having a better shot at getting into a better school. I don't really think the school aspect is what bothers people (although I realize I don't speak for everyone and could be wrong). For me, it's that the admissions committee is less likely to take the time and get to know about me, because my stats aren't spectacular-- only average, while a URM status saves others with similar scores from a similar fate. I don't begrudge anyone who is able to stand out because of a URM status. It's just that I personally don't judge who someone is by their appearances or skin color, religion, etc., and it sucks to have an admissions committee judge me on criteria associated with any of the "ism's". (To whatever extent that is-- I'm not saying that I won't get in somewhere, strictly because I'm caucasian, but it certainly doesn't help me any.)

Ok, so this post really is kind of useless, but since I took the time to write it, I'm going to post it anyways. And on that note, let me express the most important point here... Congratulations somewhere 10! You really do have great EC's and are on your way to becoming an awesome Dr., I'm sure! :) :clap:

Your stats look good. Don't say they don't because it scares me.

kaffy said:
Your stats look good. Don't say they don't because it scares me.

Don't worry kaffy. I'm just feeling a little cynical with all the waiting. And there is nothing I can do to improve my chances now; it's all out of my hands. SDN and Mdapplicants can be kinda depressing, but we can't give up hope yet!
Sorry to bum you out. That was certainly not my intention. I'm grateful for the chance to vent here and for the support, as well. I don't know your stats, but just the fact that you're on this forum probably says good thing about your chances for acceptance.
So, don't stress yet... and I'll try not to either! :oops: :)

IDforMe said:
Don't worry kaffy. I'm just feeling a little cynical with all the waiting. And there is nothing I can do to improve my chances now; it's all out of my hands. SDN and Mdapplicants can be kinda depressing, but we can't give up hope yet!
Sorry to bum you out. That was certainly not my intention. I'm grateful for the chance to vent here and for the support, as well. I don't know your stats, but just the fact that you're on this forum probably says good thing about your chances for acceptance.

I know how you feel. This whole process makes me feel less special than I once thought I was (maybe that's for the best). I like to vent here too - otherwise I will drive my family crazy (no one likes to talk to me these days..hmmm...weird). I just thought our stats were sort of similar (they both add up to that funny, special "70" I read about in another thread), so I will be happy to hear about all of your successes. I think I will just have to start taking atavan or something until I get accepted somewhere. Good luck with everything.

IDforMe said:

This is way off topic, but is that your cat on your avatar? And how did it get up there?

kaffy said:
I know how you feel. This whole process makes me feel less special than I once thought I was (maybe that's for the best). I like to vent here too - otherwise I will drive my family crazy (no one likes to talk to me these days..hmmm...weird). I just thought our stats were sort of similar (they both add up to that funny, special "70" I read about in another thread), so I will be happy to hear about all of your successes. I think I will just have to start taking atavan or something until I get accepted somewhere. Good luck with everything.

You too!! Let me know if you hear any good news!

shantster said:
This is way off topic, but is that your cat on your avatar? And how did it get up there?

:) No, that's not my cat, although I do have two. My boyfriend came across this picture somewhere and thought it was funny, so he showed it to me. I am using it for an avatar since when I was looking through the pic's on my computer it struck a cord with me.
1) I thought it was funny to see a cat chillin' on top of a door like that
2) It looks uncomfortable, but the cat got itself into that mess in the first place... kind of like me with my applications now.... :laugh:

... I have another picture that I love and am planning on eventually using as an avatar... not my cat either, but so very amusing.... :) :D Makes me laugh every time I see it.

I don't have mediocre stats. I do have a mediocre GPA.

I've waited a while to post my MDApplicants link, but it's below if you want to see exactly how this application process thing is going for me.

One of my grandmothers was Native American. The other was too, but I haven't had time to research it. I'm an extreme minority, because there's only one of me, but if you're going to slap a label on me...

MoosePilot said:
I don't have mediocre stats. I do have a mediocre GPA.

I've waited a while to post my MDApplicants link, but it's below if you want to see exactly how this application process thing is going for me.

One of my grandmothers was Native American. The other was too, but I haven't had time to research it. I'm an extreme minority, because there's only one of me, but if you're going to slap a label on me...

Congrats MoosePilot! Having to pick is an awesome problem to have! :)