people who have been accepted with mediocre stats

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am noticing that there is quite a range for what people consider "mediocre scores"

Members don't see this ad.

bkpa2med said:
Doesn't your socioeconomic status consider who's a minority or not? Why would an African American/Hispanic who comes from a mid-upper class family be considered a minority?

Well, I think that people that are socioeconomically *challenged* are starting to get some further consideration. It seems like a logical step, considering there are people of all color in this country (yes, whites included) that are equally faced with the same economic desparity and education (or lack of education). I can't remember the persons name ( I think it was medhacker or something similar) but he posts on these boards and from some of his posts on this type of subject he seems really "up" on the topic. You might want to try and search for him (if it's possible to search for a user), I suspect that he may have covered your question in another thread, and I'm sure he would have covered it much better than what I can.

I heart Biology said:
I am noticing that there is quite a range for what people consider "mediocre scores"

Indeed, and after looking at some of them, I think I will be pretty happy if I end up with some of these "mediocre scores" ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
bkpa2med said:
Doesn't your socioeconomic status consider who's a minority or not? Why would an African American/Hispanic who comes from a mid-upper class family be considered a minority?

NO!! your socioeconomic status is not the factor in determining whether or not you are considered a minority in medicine. See below for the new definition of URM. See also the link for further info.

"Underrepresented in medicine means those racial and ethnic populations that are underrepresented in the medical profession relative to their numbers in the general population."

Which means that there may come a time when caucasians are considered the minorities in medicine and hispanics the majority or African americans the majority. It all depends on each groups proportion in medicine relative to their proportion in the entire population.

http://www.aamc.org/meded/urm/start.htm

somewhere2010 said:
schools just don't care as much as you think about a 30 vs. 35 MCAT...i've heard it said (in so many words) while being addressed by admissions officers during interview days.

You could be right... I'm whitey mcwhiterson and i got into a top 5 school with a 30 mcat.... so who knows

Orth2006 said:
Which means that there may come a time when caucasians are considered the minorities in medicine and hispanics the majority or African americans the majority. It all depends on each groups proportion in medicine relative to their proportion in the entire population.

http://www.aamc.org/meded/urm/start.htm

Not likely (in medicine that is)

Bernito said:
Not likely (in medicine that is)

True not likely. But the new definition of URM makes that a possibility

javert said:
You could be right... I'm whitey mcwhiterson and i got into a top 5 school with a 30 mcat.... so who knows

wow javert, that's awesome. so what do you think helped you along the admissions process? great essays , special EC's?

i have a 30 mcat also and am sorely discouraged at this point. 20 schools, 2 rejections, no interviews... i knew i was "mediocre" but i thought since i took the april mcat and applied early i would at least get a couple of interviews. no such luck.

bubbleyum said:
wow javert, that's awesome. so what do you think helped you along the admissions process? great essays , special EC's?

i have a 30 mcat also and am sorely discouraged at this point. 20 schools, 2 rejections, no interviews... i knew i was "mediocre" but i thought since i took the april mcat and applied early i would at least get a couple of interviews. no such luck.

Hmmm. Is your ps weak, are you lacking clinical experience, or are you just unlucky? Don't worry, I'm sure you will get interviews somewhere soon.

bubbleyum said:

I dont' think it was necessarily the essay.. i wrote it on the day of submission honestly.. i was the worst applicant.. but i did have published research and was in the process of thesis completion and i did some standard ECs with one unique-ish exception... i also had a high gpa... still don't know how i got into my school....

javert said:
I dont' think it was necessarily the essay.. i wrote it on the day of submission honestly.. i was the worst applicant.. but i did have published research and was in the process of thesis completion and i did some standard ECs with one unique-ish exception... i also had a high gpa... still don't know how i got into my school....

MSTP instead of MD?

Bernito said:
MSTP instead of MD?

No, no.. sorry for the confusion... I had myself banned in Aug when I started school so I wouldn't get distracted... after a few months of being good, I'm now shamelessy lurking around on my bf's username... he is MSTP.. I'm MD only...

Members don't see this ad :)
silas2642 said:
Hmmm. Is your ps weak, are you lacking clinical experience, or are you just unlucky? Don't worry, I'm sure you will get interviews somewhere soon.

honestly i don't know, i guess i do have a lot of weaknesses... it's hard top evaluate your own self correctly. my ps was read over by 3-4 other people (they were english majors/attorney/phd in public health) before submitting, they all said it was good after some tweaks. i am a non-trad with a full-time job while i started to do this, so don't have too many clinically related ec's. it's hard to chock up a lot of ec's when you're a non-trad and going to class, balancing a full-time job, studying for the mcat all at the same time. i have a couple of long-term hospital related volunteering, but a lot of other non-clinical volunteer work. gpa is also "okay/mediocre" (3.4 overall, 3.8 bcpm)

everything is just "not horrible just average" in terms of stats. thought i still had a chance to get into a mid-tier school. no harvard aspirations here, would just like to turn my career & life around doing something good with my life! somebody gimme an interview!!

I understand and empathize, remember it is still early NOvember people get interviews and acceptances thru march/april. just stay cool bubble yum

Hey I am gonna bump this mofo until I get an acceptance, it is inspiring and quite frankly I am sick of some of the other redundant forums

beefballs said:
I understand and empathize, remember it is still early NOvember people get interviews and acceptances thru march/april. just stay cool bubble yum

thanks for the encouragement beefballs :)
i wish you luck during this process as well!
for myself, i think i might start studying for an mcat retake in april if i don't hear anything positive by beginning of january.

bubbleyum said:
thanks for the encouragement beefballs :)
i wish you luck during this process as well!
for myself, i think i might start studying for an mcat retake in april if i don't hear anything positive by beginning of january.
I'm in the same boat BubbleYum. Even thought the thought of taking that godforsaken test again makes me teary (it will be my 3rd), perhaps we could be virtual study partners.

Wait! what am I saying. I meant to say we can share a hotel when we go on interviews together in January!

gdbaby said:
I'm in the same boat BubbleYum. Even thought the thought of taking that godforsaken test again makes me teary (it will be my 3rd), perhaps we could be virtual study partners.

Wait! what am I saying. I meant to say we can share a hotel when we go on interviews together in January!

hehehe. who's springing for the minibar?

javert said:

Hmmm....I think it might be your name. If I were an adcom I would love to meet, talk and try to examine the state of mind of someone named Whitey McWhiterson.

bubbleyum said:
hehehe. who's springing for the minibar?
I'll pay for the whiskey shooters, you pay for the macademia nuts! Or wait...I thought Adcoms pick up the tab? :rolleyes:

gdbaby said:
I'll pay for the whiskey shooters, you pay for the macademia nuts! Or wait...I thought Adcoms pick up the tab? :rolleyes:

u know i've seen a couple of minibars with toblerone in them. that's what i'm gonna need!!
mmmmmmmm, CHOCOLATE!

ooo, maybe i shall pop over to the cubicle next door and steal a mini-snickers.

ExtraAverage said:
Thank you Chopianista. I figure somebody needs to represent for the people without the 39 MCAT and 3.9 undergrad GPA.

I second that motion...and congrats again! Sadly I am still waiting to hear from all but 1 of the schools I applied to, and I applied fairly early (Aug-Sept). Sigh. :confused:

TimmyTheWonderD said:
I second that motion...and congrats again! Sadly I am still waiting to hear from all but 1 of the schools I applied to, and I applied fairly early (Aug-Sept). Sigh. :confused:
Ditto Timmy. But if BubbleYum is successful perhaps we can all eat some Toblerone.

My back-up plan is going to move back to Chicago and call the College of Automation: dial s-u-c-c-e-s-s....SUCCESS!

I wouldn't someone with a gpa below 3.5 being my doctor.

somewhere2010 said:
you can check out my mdapplicants profile...28 MCAT, 3.6 GPA, but i've faired quite well in this application cycle! yeah, so i'm a black female, and you could say that's why i got in, but i'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that it's not! :eek:

you've got a solid chance with "mediocre" numbers, particularly if the rest of your application is strong. good luck :)

You are fantastic, somewhere, 3 acceptances! I wish I can get one.

Wait a minute, you're from Yale... Go figure.

dreamcrusher said:

Genius.

Have you learned to use that edit option below your post yet?

Under the subject heading of "reason for edit," go ahead and just put "*****"

I think we will all figure it out.

gdbaby said:
Ditto Timmy. But if BubbleYum is successful perhaps we can all eat some Toblerone.

My back-up plan is going to move back to Chicago and call the College of Automation: dial s-u-c-c-e-s-s....SUCCESS!

i think they still play that commericial...along with the one for Victory Auto Wreckers, which has not changed in over 10 years!!!! So you were originally a "flatlander"? That is what my friend from Denver calls me!! :laugh:

javert said:

hey javert (or javerts girlfriend)
since you're in, would you mind being more specific? i have a sub-30 mcat (pretty bad ps if you're wondering why) and though i think i have good lor's and neat experiences, i'm still worried...

...because lets be honest, the only things that have happened so far is that i've been rejected by BU, and put on hold by MSU. and oh yeah, my state school is UConn, so i'm basically screwed.....

TimmyTheWonderD said:
i think they still play that commericial...along with the one for Victory Auto Wreckers, which has not changed in over 10 years!!!! So you were originally a "flatlander"? That is what my friend from Denver calls me!! :laugh:
Chicago native. I moved to Denver in 2001. I miss the College of Automation, Victory Auto Wreckers, Bud Roooooaaaaarman, and Harry Schmerler--your singing Ford Dealer. Chicago has the best local commercials!

Forgot one more: 988-2300.. Empire!!!

I suppose my 3.4/30 isn't anything to really brag about. But HEY, I still got in! Woo hoo!!!

gdbaby said:
Forgot one more: 988-2300.. Empire!!!

close, it's 588-2300, and they still have that old guy with the white hair...only computer generated! they're moving up in the world!

jammin06 said:
I suppose my 3.4/30 isn't anything to really brag about. But HEY, I still got in! Woo hoo!!!
Jammin: slightly higher gpa, slightly lower MCAT for me. Still waiting, still hoping, still not washing my hair until an acceptance comes my way.

gdbaby said:
Jammin: slightly higher gpa, slightly lower MCAT for me. Still waiting, still hoping, still not washing my hair until an acceptance comes my way.

haha, i did the same sort of thing with cutting my hair and getting an interview. I ended up with a mini 'fro before i got my interview invitation to south alabama

dude jammin, basically same gpa, higher MCAT, how did oyu do it and not me? hahaha. jk man, congrats. i'm really happy for you while being completely green with envy.

gd, I have seriously considered sending a package of homemade goodies to CU's adcom office with a note stating it is a no-holds-barred-bona-fide bribe for an interview. My husband says it might work (as he chowed down 2 dozen cookies today and then half a pan of rice krispie treats).

yourmom25 said:
dude jammin, basically same gpa, higher MCAT, how did oyu do it and not me? hahaha. jk man, congrats. i'm really happy for you while being completely green with envy.

i honestly think it was the EC's for me. which college are you at?

jammin06 said:
i honestly think it was the EC's for me. which college are you at?
congrats jammin...i remember you used to post on the mcat board back in the day....hahaha...

ShyRem said:
gd, I have seriously considered sending a package of homemade goodies to CU's adcom office with a note stating it is a no-holds-barred-bona-fide bribe for an interview. My husband says it might work (as he chowed down 2 dozen cookies today and then half a pan of rice krispie treats).
I have met the Dean of Admissions. He is a man of great girth. I say go for it!
:laugh: He's just average weight. But it may still work. I don't know. Perhaps their hearts are too cold to even be warmed by a plate of delicious cookies.

Can't wait to get some of your baked goods. My husband just ate a whole bag of Oreo Double Stuffs. He's a disgusting human being. ;)

I heart Biology said:

Me too. Seems that mediocre stats would be 27 and 3.4 or maybe less?

Here's the mean numbers from the AAMC for the 2004 season:
Applicants
MCAT: 27.3
GPA Science: 3.36
GPA Total: 3.47

Matriculants
MCAT: 29.9
GPA Science: 3.56
GPA Total: 3.62

hoberto said:
Me too. Seems that mediocre stats would be 27 and 3.4 or maybe less?

Here's the mean numbers from the AAMC for the 2004 season:
Applicants
MCAT: 27.3
GPA Science: 3.36
GPA Total: 3.47

Matriculants
MCAT: 29.9
GPA Science: 3.56
GPA Total: 3.62

Thanks for those stats! I've also been wondering about how the 2005 applications will be in comparison to 2004.

bkpa2med said:

Minority refers not to socioeconomic status, but to ethnicity. In the U.S. there are many more whites than blacks, hispanics, etc. In the specific case of medical school, URM stands for underrepresented in medicine, not underrepresented minorities. Which is why Asians do not to fall into this category. They're not underrepresented in medicine, though they are in the general society.

TimmyTheWonderD said:
close, it's 588-2300, and they still have that old guy with the white hair...only computer generated! they're moving up in the world!

WHOA that number is the same in DC and NY, too. They really do like their commercials....

Pepper1o1 said:
WHOA that number is the same in DC and NY, too. They really do like their commercials....
Wait a minute: Empire Carpet is not just a Chicago business? How does that old guy get around the country like that?!?!?

To keep with the thread theme, I believe I epitomize mediocre stats: 27Q, 3.68. 2 interviews, no acceptances. So I am waiting to hear more from my mediocre brothers and sisters, regardless of ethnic background. What can I say? I need constant reassurance through this process.

gdbaby said:
Wait a minute: Empire Carpet is not just a Chicago business? How does that old guy get around the country like that?!?!?

To keep with the thread theme, I believe I epitomize mediocre stats: 27Q, 3.68. 2 interviews, no acceptances. So I am waiting to hear more from my mediocre brothers and sisters, regardless of ethnic background. What can I say? I need constant reassurance through this process.

Well I'd kinda like to know if there are more people like me (and it looks like jbrice, too, maybe?) who have the high mcat/low gpa problem? I'm at a 3.1 ish and a 37, and i have one interview, 4 rejections, and 3 pre-interview holds.... it's not looking too good! Is there any hope for a late insurgence of interviews? And how about getting of those pesky "hold" lists?

Pepper1o1 said:
Well I'd kinda like to know if there are more people like me (and it looks like jbrice, too, maybe?) who have the high mcat/low gpa problem? I'm at a 3.1 ish and a 37, and i have one interview, 4 rejections, and 3 pre-interview holds.... it's not looking too good! Is there any hope for a late insurgence of interviews? And how about getting of those pesky "hold" lists?
I would love to be on Hold somewhere. SOMEBODY HOLD ME!!!!
jbrice is in and you will be too shortly. I am positive.

dreamcrusher said:

Ignorant