People who Interviewed with Kaplan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jeezy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
what kind of presentation did you do? do you have any good stories? did you see any really good or bad topics?

Members don't see this ad.

Are you planning to do a Kaplan interview yourself? My presentation was on bleeding control/first aid. Whatever you do, make sure you use the board. I saw a few presentations where the presenter just spoke for 5 minutes. It wasn't very interactive and I don't think the director was very impressed.

i have an interview on tuesday. everyone says that its pretty chill and not to worry, but i cant help it. i could really use the $. so i'm struggling for an idea that will be 'fun'.

also, how interactive did you get. do you have any tips besides asking if there are any questions

Members don't see this ad :)
first of all, smile and be happy. secondly, yes use the board and have it organized. Also, be interactive. i did mine on how to bake cookies. i brought cookies with me and i asked questions to the people that were in there even if it was like "does anyone know why we use baking powder?", etc, stuff like this. If you can use someones name, its even better. This guy in the group i was in did an amazing job on "how to bowl". You can do anything!! Be creative, dont do something someone else would do and dont mess up your board work!

what kind of presentation did you do? do you have any good stories? did you see any really good or bad topics?

I did my presentation on badminton. I talked about the court rules and layout, the objective of the game...how to score, techniques and strategies. Its not really what you present, its how. Just be confident and authorative, but also pleasant and entertaining. One piece of advice to give you is to try to establish rapport with your audience. Ask them directed questions during your presentation (ex. *name*, have you ever played badminton before?) so they will be pushed in to participating. Kaplan wants effective instructors, and the most effective are the ones that can work the room, basically get everyone to interact and discuss the topic presented. Another way to earn easy browny points is to learn everyones name and use it during your presentation. During mine, since there were many new faces, what I did was I wrote their names on my wrist. Then, i just called out a name while i was drawing on the board and surely enough, someone answered ;). gl.

I did mine on card-counting while playing blackjack.

My advice would be to present on something you're very familiar with, a longtime hobby perhaps. This will really help you feel comfortable up front when presenting.

2 thoughts:
1) Be interactive - ask relevant questions when possible
2) Use the blackboard

I agree with what has been said here so far. Just keep in mind that if you have the personality for the job, it will come through in the audition (which is only 5 min long) so don't worry about it too much. Training is the real test, however, and your pay will depend on your performance there so be sure to put in enough time to prep your teachback assignments thoroughly.

Just to make sure, all you have to do in respect to DAT scores is to show them your DAT socre print out? Did they make any of you retest just to be sure? The reason I ask is I was told all sections should be above 20 but I had a section that was a 19 (PAT) but the percentile on my printout was above 90% for that section