People who took the new NBDE1 (2012)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sciencegod

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can you please provide some feedback? Appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad.

Part1: latest dental decks 2012-2013, kaplan(only and only for dental anatomy and occlusion) if possible first six chaps of okeson, first aid nbde for final review. and ASDA released papers.
3 months continuous prep is what you need. but if u have weaker concepts take your time since u have a whole yr for it. solve as many questions as you can.

Part2: Mosby, Tufts Pharma(PM me if u want it with ur email id), and dental decks for part 2, and asda released papers. if u buy original mosby u will get a dvd with it with cases in it for part2.

thank u so much dentstud and all the best for u

Hi guys. Taking the exam very soon. As i read last few pages of the forum and got confused. Some people say 80 testlets, a lot of chemistry and physiology. Not even similar to ASDA. Others say that the test was very similar to ASDA, alot of DA, few testlets.
Who is lying? :D
I would be extremely thankful if u guys give me an advice:
1. Where did u read all this occlusion information?
2. Could anybody send me out ASDA of latest years and testlets on ashmailusa (at) gmail.com?

Thank you in advance guys!:)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys. Taking the exam very soon. As i read last few pages of the forum and got confused. Some people say 80 testlets, a lot of chemistry and physiology. Not even similar to ASDA. Others say that the test was very similar to ASDA, alot of DA, few testlets.
Who is lying? :D
I would be extremely thankful if u guys give me an advice:
1. Where did u read all this occlusion information?
2. Could anybody send me out ASDA of latest years and testlets on ashmailusa (at) gmail.com?

Thank you in advance guys!:)
U surely got confused. LOL. everyone has different questions. i may have gotten lucky to get an easy paper beacuse apart from occlusion all were easy. i was only scared of occlusion because i messed up. keep ur prep at a 100% u never know what you will end up with at ur exam. occlusion can be done from the dental anatomy and occlsuion section of kaplan and if u have time u can read first six chaps of okeson. and ofcourse dental decks. there were 8 testlets . not 80. each testlet comprises of 10 questions. that makes 80 quetions. Good luck!! chk ur email and let me know!

Hey FFH05,
Thank you. well the result took 16 days including the day of the exam.many got it in 15 days and some in 12 and some in 9 days. so its different fro everyone. well in my opinion DA/OCC is first but the rest can vary. like some ppl i know had physio alot more than anatomy and some had path/micro. but usually most of them had anatomy more. so i cant really tell you but all i know is DA/OCC are more or less half of the paper. its not that you only do DA/OCC . its just that it should be focused more than other subjects. you have a month. utilize is well. u can ace it without a hassle. just solve as many questions as you can from as many sources as you can. do not buy but look fro it online. there are many nbde apps on smart phones which have many questions for you to solve. you have a good time to review all your syllabus atleast 1 and a half time ro maybe twice depnds on your prep. all haven different experiences so make you do your best. Good Luck. if you have any other questions do let me know :)
Dentstud11, Thanks a lot! I really appreciate your input. I'm taking part one on June 6. Ive been studying daily since Feb but nothing too crazy, like 4-5 hrs on avg. But this last month Ill be doing more mocked like test days with those asda papers. Just the thought of doing one of 3.5 hours with those tricky worded questions are driving me nuts. Training is the key and Im getting ready for it! Ill keep you posted bud.

Hello Everybody !!! I took my exam on saturday (may 4th) I will say that at the beginning of the test I was surprised of how nice the questions were!! I was Like WOW this is going to be good !! But as the questions kept on coming they would get harder !! I had about 30 repeat questions, 8 testlets, and many questions I had no idea what the answer was !!! I am really hoping for a PASS! but I really think I didn't get enough questions !! We will have to wait 3-4 weeks to know !! ;) IT IS TOUGH !!!
Roxy128, Please keep us posted when your results come in. Lol These ppl just love to take their sweet time giving the results. I mean really in today's world where everything is digital you would expect the results in less then a week not 3-4 weeks. Wish you the best of luck!

Dentstud11, Thanks a lot! I really appreciate your input. I'm taking part one on June 6. Ive been studying daily since Feb but nothing too crazy, like 4-5 hrs on avg. But this last month Ill be doing more mocked like test days with those asda papers. Just the thought of doing one of 3.5 hours with those tricky worded questions are driving me nuts. Training is the key and Im getting ready for it! Ill keep you posted bud.
Awesome. GOOD LUCK! :)

I live in the US !! I hope the results get here soon !! Its only been 4 days !! and I feel I am going crazy !!!! I feel terrible !!!

Same here Roxy but Im in Fl!! I got my fingers crossed for you! Do activities that you missed out on because of studying. As for me June 6 cant get here any faster! lol

Same here Roxy but Im in Fl!! I got my fingers crossed for you! Do activities that you missed out on because of studying. As for me June 6 cant get here any faster! lol

Uff i wish I could have some fun !! But I am still in school, and just started a new semester !!!! I have no idea how I am going to concentrate without knowing my results !!!! :(

Uff i wish I could have some fun !! But I am still in school, and just started a new semester !!!! I have no idea how I am going to concentrate without knowing my results !!!! :(
I bet! Good luck with the new semester. At least you are occupied and makes the days go by a lil faster.

Can anyone tell me how how difficult the real test was vs the 2004 pilot exam from asda? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone appeared this month?? Please share the experience, I just have a week to go.

Hey guys I am taking the tests very soon and just been studying the dental decks 2006-2007 would you recommend that I get the 2012-2013 edition also the format has changed right with multiple correct answers? Is it really difficult? N also is the asda questions useful? Which ones do I get?

Roxy128, Please keep us posted when your results come in. Lol These ppl just love to take their sweet time giving the results. I mean really in today's world where everything is digital you would expect the results in less then a week not 3-4 weeks. Wish you the best of luck!

U surely got confused. LOL. everyone has different questions. i may have gotten lucky to get an easy paper beacuse apart from occlusion all were easy. i was only scared of occlusion because i messed up. keep ur prep at a 100% u never know what you will end up with at ur exam. occlusion can be done from the dental anatomy and occlsuion section of kaplan and if u have time u can read first six chaps of okeson. and ofcourse dental decks. there were 8 testlets . not 80. each testlet comprises of 10 questions. that makes 80 quetions. Good luck!! chk ur email and let me know!

Hi I'm confused too! Just to clarify test let's are clinical scenarios with question relating to them right? As we don't have that in the Uk. Did anyone get the new style multiple answer questions. Dos it tell you how many answers are correct or not?

yes testlets are clinical scenarios and it will have questions related to it. some ethical questions but that too will be mentioned in the scenario. so dont worry they are easier. They are orally related. so relax do the testlets that came with the dental decks 2012-2013. u will get an idea how they are.

Hey dent stud 11.
I have the 2006-2007 version so shall I buy the latest ones? Thanks for your advice I really appreciate it

Hey dent stud 11.
I have the 2006-2007 version so shall I buy the latest ones? Thanks for your advice I really appreciate it

i think you should. if you have time. i do not know whats the difference so i cant tell. i will say get teh latest ones and solve asda.

Hey guys,
Appearing in few days so felt like asking these questions, if anyone can pls reply me.
can u leave the test centre if u finish early both, aft first session ( scheduled break)as well as aft the test is over?
can u leave the test centre and go out of the building in scheduled one our break?
Thnks.

Hey dent stud 11.

You should definetly buy a new one....I had 2007 decks when I started studying.....there is a vast difference between them n the newer ones......many of the decks and chapters are added to the newer ones.......go ahead and buy the new ones.....

Does anyone know how to apply for exam for retakers? I already forgot How i applied for the exam a year ago. Thanks! :)

Hello everyone, got my result yesterday and I passed !

Would like to share my experience with you all.

TIME : 3 months / 4-5 hrs to 9-10 hrs
Everyday input varied according to my energy level on that particular day.

STUDY MATERIAL : first aid for Nbde
Dental decks 2012-13
ASDA released papers - A,B,G,I,J,K,L,M,N

REVISION : just dental decks of physio-biochem , half of micro-path

EXAM : conceptual, mind boggling, testlets were not hard but conceptual. They judge all the subjects in one testlet. Many questions I got in exam which I never read in any of the above mentioned study material .But i felt every question was somehow the twisted version of the simple things given in books. Guess I got around 15-20 questions from previous years. during the exam I felt happy whenever I saw a repeat question. The testlets which everyone dread, are not that hard, read them carefully, there r key words which help you get the answers and I repeatedly read the testlets and could relate the questions to the info given. Dental anatomy and occlusion was highly judged. Got many questions,found few questions hard.

TIPS- First aid, dental decks and released papers are the materials you should concentrate on, read them carefully. Revise if you could, and do all the released papers. Do dental anatomy and occlusion really good.
Your preparation months are gonna be emotionally tormenting and depressing sometimes, I used to go for a walk/run whenever I felt the same. I found it a good way to vent my frustration and channelize my energy.

: One day before the exam, I didn't study, just drove around ! It was around 6 pm and I thought I know nothing, I sifted through first aid crazily for 3 hrs. Around 9 i stopped and kept the books aside, had dinner, watched tv and slept around 11. I managed to get good sleep.
EXAM DAY:
On the day of the exam, I couldn't take anything down my throat, just had some water and half bottle of 5 HOUR ENERGY, I took it 20 mins before my exam actually started. Finished the rest of it during the break. Inspite of 5 hour energy" I sometimes felt tired and exhausted during the exam, I took 2 unscheduled breaks, washed my face and had water to keep me going. When I came out of the exam I felt extremely elated that it's done, but within few hours I started feeling I messed up my exam and Im surely gonna fail. All the 14 days post exam I felt I am going to fail the exam but I PASSED and so will you.

P.S - I never used 5 HOUR ENERGY or any other energy boosting drink during preparation, took it few days before exam to see how my body reacts and a full bottle in one go made me jittery,that's y I took half of it on the exam day.

I hope my experience helps , good luck to you all.

Last edited:
Congrats Drasr and Roxy128!! And thanks a lot for sharing your input Draser! We all appreciate it!! :D

Dental decks 2012-13

EXAM : conceptual, mind boggling, testlets were not hard but conceptual. They judge all the subjects in one testlet. Many questions I got in exam which I never read in any of the above mentioned study material .But i felt every question was somehow the twisted version of the simple things given in books. Guess I got around 15-20 questions from previous years. during the exam I felt happy whenever I saw a repeat question. The testlets which everyone dread, are not that hard, read them carefully, there r key words which help you get the answers and I repeatedly read the testlets and could relate the questions to the info given. Dental anatomy and occlusion was highly judged. Got many questions,found few questions hard.

TIPS- First aid, dental decks and released papers are the materials you should concentrate on, read them carefully. Revise if you could, and do all the released papers. Do dental anatomy and occlusion really good.
Your preparation months are gonna be emotionally tormenting and depressing sometimes, I used to go for a walk/run whenever I felt the same. I found it a good way to vent my frustration and channelize my energy.

: One day before the exam, I didn't study, just drove around ! It was around 6 pm and I thought I know nothing, I sifted through first aid crazily for 3 hrs. Around 9 i stopped and kept the books aside, had dinner, watched tv and slept around 11. I managed to get good sleep.
EXAM DAY:
On the day of the exam, I couldn't take anything down my throat, just had some water and half bottle of 5 HOUR ENERGY, I took it 20 mins before my exam actually started. Finished the rest of it during the break. Inspite of 5 hour energy" I sometimes felt tired and exhausted during the exam, I took 2 unscheduled breaks, washed my face and had water to keep me going. When I came out of the exam I felt extremely elated that it's done, but within few hours I started feeling I messed up my exam and Im surely gonna fail. All the 14 days post exam I felt I am going to fail the exam but I PASSED and so will you.

P.S - I never used 5 HOUR ENERGY or any other energy boosting drink during preparation, took it few days before exam to see how my body reacts and a full bottle in one go made me jittery,that's y I took half of it on the exam day.

Thank you so much for sharing. Really appreciate and congratulations!!!!!!

I studied for about 2 months. 7-8 hrs/day
study material- dental decks 2009-2010 and asda papers (k, l, m, n)
I did decks very thoroughly in the first reading. Revised the second time and just brushed up the third time.
Did the papers twice
Thats all

I got 9 testlets. all of them were pretty difficult (not a cake walk nor impossible to do either) rest of the exam was completely doable. I heard a lot of people here on sdn saying "its doable". I never exactly understood the phrase. but now i do ;)
i got approx 90% completely related to dentistry.....be it anatomy, microbiology, pathology, physiology or biochem.
i was afraid of anatomy because i could not retain those upper limb, lower limb muscles and bones etc but fortunately i din't get any of those things (as far as i remember). it was all dental related.
I din't get much repeats or decks questions. hardly 3-4% questions were repeats.

According to me I was 100% sure about 60-65% questions
Rest all fell in the range between 90% sure and complete guess.

I got the result yesterday. Passed! :)
All the best.

Dental decks 2012-13

EXAM DAY:

CONGRAAATTSS :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I studied for about 2 months. 7-8 hrs/day
study material- dental decks 2009-2010 and asda papers (k, l, m, n)
I did decks very thoroughly in the first reading. Revised the second time and just brushed up the third time.
Did the papers twice
Thats all

I got 9 testlets. all of them were pretty difficult (not a cake walk nor impossible to do either) rest of the exam was completely doable. I heard a lot of people here on sdn saying "its doable". I never exactly understood the phrase. but now i do ;)
i got approx 90% completely related to dentistry.....be it anatomy, microbiology, pathology, physiology or biochem.
i was afraid of anatomy because i could not retain those upper limb, lower limb muscles and bones etc but fortunately i din't get any of those things (as far as i remember). it was all dental related.
I din't get much repeats or decks questions. hardly 3-4% questions were repeats.

According to me I was 100% sure about 60-65% questions
Rest all fell in the range between 90% sure and complete guess.

I got the result yesterday. Passed! :)
All the best.
Awesome and Congrats!!:D:claps::thumbup: Appreciate your input!!

hey there ....i m appearing for my exam in a week ....i have no idea how prepared i am ..i am messing up my dental anatomy asda papers with really low scores and while doin dental decks i had skipped the dental ethics part as people told me its shear common sense and has only 4 marks weightage ...i dont have the testlets which come with dental decks as you mentioned ...can anyone please mail it to me incase they are done ....and asap would be appreciable as my exam is in a weeks time
my email id is [email protected] ...thnx and yes people congrats to each one of you :)

Hiii I am close to my date test Could you please send me out ASDA of latest years tom my email?? ? thanks a lot, and what do you think about Crack the NBDE ?

SO I just took the exam and now the waiting game begins! I appreciate Dentstud11, Roxy128, Drasr and others for sharing their experience with us! :D

Lol... Now its my turn. The exam is pretty much what others have said on the forum. For DA/OCC it was by far the volume of questions they asked. I would say every 2 or 3 question was related to Dental in some way and for this section I used all three sources: decks, kaplan and first aide. If you still dont understand a concept, use the web! You should know all angles and definitions that they throw at you. Dont rush and skip a concept!

For the rest I started with First aide first. Then did the decks, followed by the asda papers. I took Dentstud advise and took simulated practice exams. It really helped! Remember, seeing the prometic center's location and familiarizing your self will keep you be a lot calmer when the D-date comes around.

I had 10 testlest and no pictures of anything! Few true and false. And no matching, fill in the blanks. I think its doable if you study right. Side notes from the decks and first aide are a must. All those tricks and advice come in hand.

I think 3 months is overkill specially if you arent working. I say all you need is like 5-6 weeks with like 4-6 hours each day will be more then enough. I know some American students that rushed studied for 2 weeks and failed. They went thinking that if I do the decks once its good enough. Wrong! You also have to get a feel for the questions too.

I wish all of you the best of luck! I will help out like how others have helped me. :D

Thanx a lot for input. My exam is in 9 days. Have to do da from every source.

It helped a lot. Stress increase as days r passing.

I gave exam on 24th may and got my result today and I PASSED!!!!!!!!!!!!������������

Congtets 1907.
I have an exam in a week and getting more stress as days pass. I do not know how my exam would be?

I go through decks .first aid. And asda papers. Stll lacking of confudent. How much score did u get in latest asda papers?

Thanx

Congtets 1907.
I have an exam in a week and getting more stress as days pass. I do not know how my exam would be?

I go through decks .first aid. And asda papers. Stll lacking of confudent. How much score did u get in latest asda papers?

Thanx
Hey Thanks so much. Dnt worry ur exam will b gud. Believe me I felt the same few days before my test. I too studied from first aid( thrice) decks (twice)and all the papers. I used to score arnd 75 80. The second half of my exam was really nt that gud. But u just hv to b positive and give ur best!!!!
All the very best! U wil b fine.:thumbup:

Dental decks 2012-13

EXAM DAY:

Congratulation!
I am planning to appear for Part-1 in August.
I will be thankful, if you email me ASDA papers at [email protected]
Reply "APPRECIATED"