People who took the new NBDE1 (2012)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sciencegod

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can you please provide some feedback? Appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad.

I just borrowed mine from a friend. But,I think you can buy first aid and dental decks in amazon. You can buy second hand to save some bucks. ;) it doesn't really matter if it's latest edition i think? But i'm not sure...

Thank you so much! I appreciate!
All the best for ur results. Sure u wil pass!:)

If you are currently in dental school and even remember half the stuff you were taught, you should be fine.

I spent about 4 weeks studying ~4-5 hours a day and I was able to pass.

All you need IMO is the dental decks and old released exams.

Here is how I fared doing 2 mock exams given by my school and the last 4 latest released exam.

1st mock - 55% :D
2nd mock - 67%
release exam - 72%
release exam - 78%
release exam - 80%
release exam - 80%

When you study, concentrate on the easy stuff that are asked over and over and does not change much from test to test and year to year. These subjects are dental anatomy, head and neck anatomy, embryology, and tooth histology.

The majority of the anatomical science section is mainly head and neck anatomy. I would say roughly 50-60% of the section. The rest would be embryology (15%), tooth histology (15%) and just random anatomy questions (10%).

If you are able to get 80%+ on the dental anatomy and anatomical science section, you should be able to breeze through the rest of the test and still pass.

Good luck to all those who are still studying!

it depends wen u gvng part1 n d time gap btwn ur part1 n caapid cycle.....if u thnk u dont hav much time in btwn....must go fr toefl frst...u cn manage ur part1 prep simultaneously....

Members don't see this ad :)
ne1 gvng part1 .........i wud suggest must go through old papers...70's,80's n all....go thru dre explainations,mak notes...they quite tufff bt important ...i almost knew all d 200 ques of ma frst half....jus coz i went thru dese papers..got very few ques from recent decks....gud luck....!!!

ne1 gvng part1 .........i wud suggest must go through old papers...70's,80's n all....go thru dre explainations,mak notes...they quite tufff bt important ...i almost knew all d 200 ques of ma frst half....jus coz i went thru dese papers..got very few ques from recent decks....gud luck....!!!

What???:confused::confused::confused:

thats sth good news for me!
can i know when did u take the exam?

so da old papers should be enough to pass...right?

(working on it now lol:smuggrin:)[/QUO do everything.....but dont miss to do the old ones......dey wont ask u d same ques....but related ones from d explainations....use wikipedia...n som of the calculation ques were as such from 2002 paper...

hey everyone
i have 1 qstion..
I am doing this released question paper.. and some of the answer given is little confusing. so are they incorrect or my doubt is correct?
please reply thanks in advance :)

hi i jst graduated last yr n im in states on h4........ im planin to gve my nbde 1 bt hv got only mosbys n first aid jst wnted to knw r these enuf for my initial prep along wd my course buks or do i need to buy smethn else????????

hi i jst graduated last yr n im in states on h4........ im planin to gve my nbde 1 bt hv got only mosbys n first aid jst wnted to knw r these enuf for my initial prep along wd my course buks or do i need to buy smethn else????????

Wow...how you ever graduated given your aforementioned English is amazing.

Hi guys.. just wanted to add a few words.. I received my result and I passed. The exam is not as tough as everyone is saying. They were quite basic ASDA type questions. No new models. Read ethics also. I used dental decks, first aid and lot of wikipedia. Good luck to all.

BTW, Im selling my dental decks 2012 edition, first aid, first aid q &a, kaplan dentessentials. Please PM me if anyone wants to buy them.

Hi vivi148,
Congrats on your result. Just curious, what date did you take your test? Also do you still have study material available for sale? If so, could you PM me with details please?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all, I'm taking mine on Tuesday. Any last minute tips of things to review? I've done the ASDAs, Decks through once, Board busters through once, and some random googling. I don't feel prepared but i"m getting 60-80% on the ASDAs. Is there any difficult material/subjects not covered by ASDA that I should review today/tomorrow?

Any "must-knows"? Any last minute testlet prep to do?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks everyone.

wrote mine on july 28th and got my result on Aug 17th

good luck to those still anxious to write their part :)

Hi guys! I failed the exam... :'(( it says that my score is 74%. I thought that it's only pass or fail, i didn't know that the scores will be shown if failed. Anyway, I am 1% shorter to passing score. It's frustrating! Anyway, I might take the second one on december, good luck to those who are gonna take the exam! The only thing I can advice right now is just do your best and just focus on 2-3 study materials and repeat it. Good luck! :)

@ sone09 can u elaborate a bit on how much u studied and from where and how many hours I am so nervous can't retain things I m keep on forgetting the stuff
Thanks alot

Hi guys! I failed the exam... :'(( it says that my score is 74%. I thought that it's only pass or fail, i didn't know that the scores will be shown if failed. Anyway, I am 1% shorter to passing score. It's frustrating! Anyway, I might take the second one on december, good luck to those who are gonna take the exam! The only thing I can advice right now is just do your best and just focus on 2-3 study materials and repeat it. Good luck! :)

Thanks Sone09 sharing your experience! Good luck on your next try! Keep moving forward....

Hi Sone09, Sorry about your result, but I really do like your courage. You are the first person to fail and come out boldly to say so and also encourage other test takers. The Lord will crown your effort with success as prepare again. All the best.

@ sone09 can u elaborate a bit on how much u studied and from where and how many hours I am so nervous can't retain things I m keep on forgetting the stuff
Thanks alot

I started studying seriously around 3rd week of June and From then i studied 8hrs a day. The thing was I'm a really slow reader and decks took me 4wks to finish then I crammed ASDA and qubank and first aid. I was able to repeat asda but the important ones like decks, I didn't. I wasn't able to concentrate the whole time while taking the exam because i was in pain. My tummy was hurting so I rushed the exam. It was terrible.hahaha! But I'm okay now. :)

Hi Sone09, Sorry about your result, but I really do like your courage. You are the first person to fail and come out boldly to say so and also encourage other test takers. The Lord will crown your effort with success as prepare again. All the best.

It's okay. Bad things happen and there's really nothing to be ashamed of. I'm not saying that I did my best because I know I can always do better. Everyone can always do better. Thank you! :)

sone 09 , can you please tell me that are the remembered questions of any help........and what do you advice to study.......iam doing only asda and decks......
can you please tell me that remembered or unreleased questions are of any help in the real exam or not and also are decks and asda enough???
i have my on 5 sept and i am scared now.......i have already rescheduled it 3 times.......and every time i feel the same sacred and unconfident....please help

Hey STILLMATICBEAT!! Congrats on ur result!! Do you still have the blue kaplan book. What name does it come by??i would like to buy.

It's okay. Bad things happen and there's really nothing to be ashamed of. I'm not saying that I did my best because I know I can always do better. Everyone can always do better. Thank you! :)

wow sone09 !!!!im really sorry for yr result but i do admire ur courage and will to move on......all the best!!!!:thumbup:

sone 09 , can you please tell me that are the remembered questions of any help........and what do you advice to study.......iam doing only asda and decks......
can you please tell me that remembered or unreleased questions are of any help in the real exam or not and also are decks and asda enough???
i have my on 5 sept and i am scared now.......i have already rescheduled it 3 times.......and every time i feel the same sacred and unconfident....please help

Hi! Yup, I think those are enough. My score's 74. I'm sure if I was feeling well that time I could have gotten 1% more to pass but I wasn't. Uhmmm it's hard to tell because there are too many questions. But some asda questions were there and the basic knowledge dental decks provides I think its enough too. Just be sure you eat well and light before exam, the greatest regret of my life right now is eating mcdonalds for breakfast right before my exam. Haha! Good luck! :)

Hi! Yup, I think those are enough. My score's 74. I'm sure if I was feeling well that time I could have gotten 1% more to pass but I wasn't. Uhmmm it's hard to tell because there are too many questions. But some asda questions were there and the basic knowledge dental decks provides I think its enough too. Just be sure you eat well and light before exam, the greatest regret of my life right now is eating mcdonalds for breakfast right before my exam. Haha! Good luck! :)

I couldn't resist commenting on this post... hats off to you for your positive attitude and willingness to guide others ...:thumbup: best of luck..

Used Dental Decks (read through it 2-3 times), glanced at Board Busters, and then went through about 10 old exams.

I used the website below to get explanations to many old released questions, which really helped speed up my study time.

http://www.dentalarticles.com/nbde/

I was so relieved when I passed. I felt good about the first 200 questions but then next 200 were pretty rough.

Anyways, good luck to all of you taking it soon!

RC

Hey Guys! Just joined this to tell everyone about my experience of taking the NBDE PART 1 last month. (JULY) GOT MY RESULTS AND I PULLED THROUGH.

The first part was quit difficult for me, it really demotivated me. Alot of questions where not in any of the study material.

The second part was much better. Alot of repeated questions had come from the ASDA Papers. Most of the testlets were simple and some were confusing. KNOW YOUR DRUGS THAT CAUSE XEROSTOMIA

Know your PREMOLARS!!!!

In a nutshell what I can say is the new exam starting 2012 has become more difficult as we are getting a P/F. (Personal Opinion)

But it is not that bad. From my network, 29 have passed and 4 have failed.

Lat minute advise i can give you is make sure you do the ASDA PAPERS G-N ,A-F were kind useless as nothing came from them. I had Close to 120 Questions repeated.

Materials I used:

First AID Nbde PART 1
DENTAL DECKS

ASDA PAPERS!-- I know they are a bit expensive but totally worth it. I found some on Ebay for 90.00 I think they still have them.

GOODLUCK GUYS!!!

HOPE THIS HELPED

Hey All the best!
even m planning to start studying. can u pls help s in m planning to buy all study material n where from m suppose to buy these books? do they need to b latest editions?
Don't worry i felt the same way and got my results and had the big P on it. Im guessing your result must be sent to you by now. Hope You passed

I see lot of posts about studying from Wikipedia. I'm curious what exactly to study from wiki?
All You need is the deck and First AID AND the ASDA Papers. From all my friends everyone has passed. I know only few people that did not cause they went into too much depth reading the lecture notes.

120 repeated asda questions.....are you kidding or is it true dude......i have mine on 5th sept.....now i wud drink them up.......:)

Hey Guys! Just joined this to tell everyone about my experience of taking the NBDE PART 1 last month. (JULY) GOT MY RESULTS AND I PULLED THROUGH.

The first part was quit difficult for me, it really demotivated me. Alot of questions where not in any of the study material.

The second part was much better. Alot of repeated questions had come from the ASDA Papers. Most of the testlets were simple and some were confusing. KNOW YOUR DRUGS THAT CAUSE XEROSTOMIA

Know your PREMOLARS!!!!

In a nutshell what I can say is the new exam starting 2012 has become more difficult as we are getting a P/F. (Personal Opinion)

But it is not that bad. From my network, 29 have passed and 4 have failed.

Lat minute advise i can give you is make sure you do the ASDA PAPERS G-N ,A-F were kind useless as nothing came from them. I had Close to 120 Questions repeated.

Materials I used:

First AID Nbde PART 1
DENTAL DECKS

ASDA PAPERS!-- I know they are a bit expensive but totally worth it. I found some on Ebay for 90.00 I think they still have them.

GOODLUCK GUYS!!!

HOPE THIS HELPED

were there any pictures of da? 120 repeats of asda :eek:

Hey i took the exam in end of june , got my result in 12 days , and thankfully i passed .
i studied from first aid, dental decks 2012, and asda papers . in my perception test wasn't hard , it just needs repetition of your subjects . i had been studying off n on for 5 months n then last two months were the real effort based studying ..
ask me anything if anyone need help , n i do have latest decks n they were absolutely very helpful , lemme know if anyone is interested in getting them from me .
Good luck all of you .

Hey i took the exam in end of june , got my result in 12 days , and thankfully i passed .
i studied from first aid, dental decks 2012, and asda papers . in my perception test wasn't hard , it just needs repetition of your subjects . i had been studying off n on for 5 months n then last two months were the real effort based studying ..
ask me anything if anyone need help , n i do have latest decks n they were absolutely very helpful , lemme know if anyone is interested in getting them from me .
Good luck all of you .

and i totally disagree with 120 repeats , its sheer luck on how the testing computer mixes the questions for you .

congrats :)
u got ur result in 12 days! its been 2 weeks for mine...fingers crossed now
and i agree with ur point on ASDA's....its unpredictable guys....i did KLMN series coz didnt get much time for the rest..and got around 4 to 5 questions....they mix and match...sometimes i v heard more than half comes from ASDA...sometimes just 5 %...it depends on the series of questions that u get.
decks n asda are more than enuf for prep....revision is the key

When you guys talking about the days you got your results after the exam, are you referring to the business days or the days including the weekends? Thanks.

hi,

I would like to know if its possible to crack nbde 1 by just solving asda question papers,dental decks?..without focusing too much into theory..hope someone could answer my question..

I received a letter yesterday with a PASS 13 days after I took the test. I used ASDA released exams + Decks 2012/2013 + First Aid as resources and studied for 5 weeks.

Overall, the exam was not that bad, but some of the questions were very much conceptually oriented. Sufficient time to go over entire exam, but the second part of the test was quite exhausting. Make sure to be hydrated! Gluck guys.

Hi, when didi you gave the exams, i gave my exams on 23rd and i am still waiting for my results.. please let me know

I pass!!
wanna giv some feedback 2 everyone.

old test is about 20~30% testlet about 30% others are new Qs

if u do the old test quite hard.. i think ull get over the new Qs as well
and dental occlusion is the easiest part of the test for me
toughest would be the biochem for sure

i study 2 months....at first only 3 hrs a day...but for the last 3weeks
i do nothing but studying and that helps me to memorize n hav quick response to the similar or easy Q

my study materials are deck,first aid,old tests

im not a smart guy, and my suggestion for those like me is...
dont make the preparation too long, coz u forget everything in the end and this makes u panic!
so try to focus on it in 5~6 weeks and im sure ull pass!

I pass!!
wanna giv some feedback 2 everyone.

old test is about 20~30% testlet about 30% others are new Qs

if u do the old test quite hard.. i think ull get over the new Qs as well
and dental occlusion is the easiest part of the test for me
toughest would be the biochem for sure

i study 2 months....at first only 3 hrs a day...but for the last 3weeks
i do nothing but studying and that helps me to memorize n hav quick response to the similar or easy Q

my study materials are deck,first aid,old tests

im not a smart guy, and my suggestion for those like me is...
dont make the preparation too long, coz u forget everything in the end and this makes u panic!
so try to focus on it in 5~6 weeks and im sure ull pass!
Congratalations! Are you going to sell your study material? The deck is 2012?

Hi!
Could you please tell me where did you buy the Kaplan lecture notes from and how much did it cost? Did you learn a lot from this book ? thanks