People who want to go to UCLA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ExSavior

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering how many of you have taken Spanish for a foreign language?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm guessing UCLA recommends applicants to take Spanish.

On the secondary, there is a question which asks whether you have taken Spanish at your university. I am guessing that the OP wants to know how many of the accepted had taken Spanish, and whether this has any bearing on whether one is accepted to UCLA or not...

I was wondering how many of you have taken Spanish for a foreign language?

I would want to go to UCLA, I will start taking Spanish this fall.

Does anyone know if UCLA recommeds or requires Spanish?

I would want to go to UCLA, I will start taking Spanish this fall.

Does anyone know if UCLA recommeds or requires Spanish?

They say it is recommended, but it is definitely not a requirement. Many people took other languages.

I just took AP Spanish in high school and no foreign languages at the university level.

UCLA's website says it recommends Spanish.

I never took Spanish...

(French in high school and Chinese in college)

UCLA's website says it recommends Spanish.

I never took Spanish...

(French in high school and Chinese in college)

Thanks exactly what I was looking for. Wasn't sure if the "recommends spanish" was a subtle of saying required.

Congrats in UCSF

*enrolls in spanish course*

I think it actually says highly recomended on the site. I cant imagine it being a huge strike against u if you dont speak spanish. I have no chance at UCLA anyways so meh :p

I know plenty of people that got into UCLA that did NOT take spanish. I don't even know why it's needed these days --> TRANSLATORS FTW!

I know plenty of people that got into UCLA that did NOT take spanish. I don't even know why it's needed these days --> TRANSLATORS FTW!

In the clinics, the number of house staff (interns, residents, attendings and med students) vastly outnumbers the number of people available for translation.

Don't claim to be fluent in Spanish if you aren't. Being a former admissions committee member, I know some of the other interviewers will conduct portions of the interview in Spanish, or more classically, will ask an applicant to tell a joke in Spanish.

In the clinics, the number of house staff (interns, residents, attendings and med students) vastly outnumbers the number of people available for translation.

Don't claim to be fluent in Spanish if you aren't. Being a former admissions committee member, I know some of the other interviewers will conduct portions of the interview in Spanish, or more classically, will ask an applicant to tell a joke in Spanish.

awesome. now i have a purpose for learning spanish: to tell jokes!

So if a school says they recommend spanish (or some other foreign language) and you already speak it fluently...what does that mean? Should I still take that foreign language or a different one or....?

o_O

So if a school says they recommend spanish (or some other foreign language) and you already speak it fluently...what does that mean? Should I still take that foreign language or a different one or....?

o_O

You definitely don't need to take the class.