People with one year masters degree; a question.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medicine2006

Happy Pisces
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are you proud of your degree? Are you gonna put the MS behind your MD? I think that one year programs are nothing more than money makers for the institutions that grant them. These worthless masters degrees are diluting what it means to have a graduate degree.

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by medicine2006
Are you proud of your degree? Are you gonna put the MS behind your MD? I think that one year programs are nothing more than money makers for the institutions that grant them. These worthless masters degrees and diluting what it means to have a graduate degree.

Yeah, I agree.

I also agree because in the end no M.D. puts M.S. behind their name. They can be beneficial for those who are non-trads or people with low undergrad GPA's. If you have a decent GPA, etc. then why not spend a year making 30K instead of spending it on some useless degree. Most admissions committee members will say that these programs don't give you an edge over someone that spent a year doing something productive (medically related work). If someone is doing it for the title of M.S. then it's not worth it because in the end if that person gets into med school or doesn't that 1 year M.S. will not matter.:D

Members don't see this ad :)
I totally disagree! Even if I get accepted to medical school this year, I might defer a year to do a one-year master's program. I want a career in academic medicine applying computer science techniques to medicine and a year of focussed coursework and research in this area will, I think, help me to make the most of (hopefully!!!!) an md/phd program.

It depends on the person and the situation. If you look at it as only buying yourself time / improved credentials to get accepted the following year, yeah, you're right. But if there are things that you feel you need to learn to meet your career goals, then a one year master's can be helpful, imho.

I think these one year Masters programs disguised as a post-bacc give graduate degrees a bad name. Essentially, it is a 5th year of undergrad where you just take courses in a more specialized area. "Real" graduate work involves self-directed research, publications and thesis writing.

Copied from one of my previous posts:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by lady bug
I'm just curious....did you do the 1 year masters program at Gtown?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey ladybug,

Yes, it was the Special Masters Program. I don't know if I'd recommend it to anyone. It's very expensive, and the Masters you get is not very useful from a career standpoint (i.e. in pharma/biotech) if you don't get into med school.

It's also definitely not fun. Never before or after that year have I ever encountered such hypercompetitive, secretive, CUTTHROAT people. The type where if they got hold of an old test, they would hide it from everyone else in the program. One thing I make sure to always ask at medical school interviews now is what the atmosphere is like. I'd most definitely rather NOT go to a school with a similar social climate. Much better if your classmates are your friends...

Finally, they're very clear that there are no "guarantees" implied. One of my housemates had a 4.0 GPA in the program (but low MCAT) and didn't get accepted to Gtown Med. I believe the degree of their "clarity" increased after some frustrated A-student sued them for breach of contract. I could be mistaken, though, and that may have been at another school. A lot of med schools with extra seats in their lecture halls are starting programs like this because they know that there's an ample supply of desperate reapplicant premeds who are willing to spend $$,$$$ in the hopes of a better chance of admittance.

J.J.

Are you proud of your degree? Are you gonna put the MS behind your MD? I think that one year programs are nothing more than money makers for the institutions that grant them. These worthless masters degrees and diluting what it means to have a graduate degree.

I agree.

As to putting the master's credentials beside the M.D. credentials, I know a doctor who does that with his M.A.

I'm currently working on my M.A. and I'm doing it purely for interest. Really. I never even considered whether I'd put the letters besides my M.D. Hmm....

But yeah, I think having both an MSc and an M.D. is kind of redundant.

C.

Originally posted by Chieka

But yeah, I think having both an MSc and an M.D. is kind of redundant.

I don't think that this is the case at all. In my case, an MSc involves basic science research, something that you won't get in a "typical" M.D. program.

Do you think patients will be impressed by seeing that their physician has multiple degrees?

Do you think patients will be impressed by seeing that their physician has multiple degrees?

I think if patients are impressed by "well-roundedness", they'll be impressed. I was impressed to see the M.A. beside my allergist's M.D.

And I guess I'd be impressed to see an MSc too - it's just an indication that a person is skilled in more than one area. I say that's always good. ;)

C.

bump bump to page one